Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 540 of 1005
  1. #521
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    222
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    The three SC dance spots have already been assigned (Gilles/Poirier, Ralph/Hill, Virtue/Moir).

    Interesting that SC had to give Ralph/Hill the SC spot to get them their one guaranteed assignment (Couldn't negotiate a place for them elsewhere? Granted, there are a limited number of GP slots these days, so maybe not.)

    I'm sorry that Paul/Islam don't have a GP.
    Agreed. In my opinion, V/M and W/P should get 2 assignments, but all the rest, including G/P should get 1. That would give I/P a spot at SC. With the depth in ice dance, I don't see how any of the rest have any chance of getting GPF spots. So might as well make the most of the spots and see how these teams stack up with international judging panels instead of the local biases. Below V/M and W/P, the results at Nationals were ridiculous.

  2. #522
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    832
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Great to see that Skate Canada, in their infinite wisdom, has given two spots to a team that has only competed one competition in their entire careers (and a domestic one at that) instead of giving one of the spots to a team that has gotten good international results in the past. Way to go. I wonder which team SC wants to get to worlds? Let's just hope the judging at nationals isn't a crock like it was this year. Though, with this latest bit of info, I'm not holding my breath.

  3. #523
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    222
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    Great to see that Skate Canada, in their infinite wisdom, has given two spots to a team that has only competed one competition in their entire careers (and a domestic one at that) instead of giving one of the spots to a team that has gotten good international results in the past. Way to go. I wonder which team SC wants to get to worlds? Let's just hope the judging at nationals isn't a crock like it was this year. Though, with this latest bit of info, I'm not holding my breath.
    I hope 1 of 2 things happens: either the team with the assignments works their butts off and finds some way to have some good skating skills between last Nationals and Skate Canada, or the international judges put them in their proper place. By the time we get to Nationals, either they will have some credibility with dramatically improved skills, or they will find their way down the ranks in Canada because they are not the darlings internationally that Skate Canada thought they would be.

    I also really hope that Paul/Islam are healthy, work really, really hard, and get some great assignments at Senior B's. I would love for them to knock programs out of the park next season with great results. By Nationals, they could be in a position for 3rd place, which would take them international to 4CC and Worlds. It's not beyond the realm of possibility.

  4. #524
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    832
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    I hope 1 of 2 things happens: either the team with the assignments works their butts off and finds some way to have some good skating skills between last Nationals and Skate Canada, or the international judges put them in their proper place. By the time we get to Nationals, either they will have some credibility with dramatically improved skills, or they will find their way down the ranks in Canada because they are not the darlings internationally that Skate Canada thought they would be.

    I also really hope that Paul/Islam are healthy, work really, really hard, and get some great assignments at Senior B's. I would love for them to knock programs out of the park next season with great results. By Nationals, they could be in a position for 3rd place, which would take them international to 4CC and Worlds. It's not beyond the realm of possibility.
    I know it's not, I'm just ticked off by this entire situation. I know that P/I have been given chances by SC and have failed to deliver in the past, and I know that G/P have a right to assignments based on their status as national brinze medallists, but it still worries me. If SC is so willing to chance sending an inexperienced team to two events, then I don't think they'll have any problem "tweaking" the scoring at nationals like they clearly did this year.

    I really hate to say this, because I actually don't have a problem with G/P as skaters or people (it's merely their scores that bother me, which I realise are out of their control), but I'm hoping they get penalised for all of the glaring deficiencies that the national judges ignored at nationals during the GP season. I realize we'll likely see improvement from them, but i don't think that one season, realistically, is enough to improve their technique enough to bring them anywhere near P/I's level (when they're healthy and trained, of course), or the level of the other top teams in the country for that matter. Perhaps seeing G/P put in their place internationally will convince SC to let the skating decide the results at nationals, in which case P/I should have a realistic chance of making it to worlds.

    I'm hoping that P/I at least get a couple of senior B events. Not only will the experience help- them, but good results there could open SC's eyes as well.

  5. #525
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,592
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Who didn't see this coming after Nationals? They'll probably get a senior B, but really, should tackle two or three. But I'd be floored if they beat G/P at Nationals.

  6. #526
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    832
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    And just like that, their prospects are brightening. If this means what I think it does, then there may be more hope of them making the world team than there was a few minutes ago. Hey, if it worked for Weaver/Poje...

    http://twitter.com/#!/mitchislam

  7. #527
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,592
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Definitely good news.

  8. #528
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    832
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Definitely good news.
    I was hoping to hear this, actually. I think training alongside W/P, P/B and the others will do wonders for P/I. It could potentially push their skating to another level like it did for W/P. Working with that brilliant coaching team probably won't hurt either...

  9. #529

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,470
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3806
    The link didn't work for me, but I am assuming that they are moving to Detroit? Just going by the follow up comments. Please let it be that!!!!
    Addicted to FSU

  10. #530
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    832
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    The link didn't work for me, but I am assuming that they are moving to Detroit? Just going by the follow up comments. Please let it be that!!!!
    Not 100% sure (I don't want to start a silly rumour), but based on what they've written on twitter, it seems they'll be training at DSC for the summer.

  11. #531
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,592
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    The link didn't work for me, but I am assuming that they are moving to Detroit? Just going by the follow up comments. Please let it be that!!!!
    Alexandra tweeted: "All settled into our new apartment. DSC for the summer :) #soexcited"

    Mitchell retweeted it.

  12. #532
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    758
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Omigod, Omigod ! ..wish fulfillment for me , then.

    I hope this works out well for them. Looking forward to see the results.

    I'm very upset with these assignments. ( Stemming from the unforgiveable marks at Canadians ).

  13. #533

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    Good for them! that's a great move!!

  14. #534

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,470
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3806
    That is good news. I am upset for them about the assignments and hope they can showcase themselves in the Senior B competitions. Their main problem has been injuries, so as long as they remain healthy and able to train, I am hoping that they will improve their stamina and be able to develop their programs to their fullest. I still remember being blown away by their long program at Skate Canada in Kingston 2 yrs ago. They have all the goods, so they just need some luck to go with it.
    Addicted to FSU

  15. #535

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1795
    Its good they move to work in ice dance school in summer. Thats what they need.
    But i a wonder Canada send them to DSC, but not to Z-Sh. I think this team in there style. So maybe SC didnt trust to Z-SH?

  16. #536

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,666
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Its good they move to work in ice dance school in summer. Thats what they need.
    But i a wonder Canada send them to DSC, but not to Z-Sh. I think this team in there style. So maybe SC didnt trust to Z-SH?
    Slate Canada doesn't tell skaters where to train.

    This would be the skaters' decision, along with their families who are paying the bills (not Skate Canada).

  17. #537

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1795
    Quote Originally Posted by maggylyn View Post
    Slate Canada doesn't tell skaters where to train.

    This would be the skaters' decision, along with their families who are paying the bills (not Skate Canada).
    Its like USA Federation never tell skaters what to do, but every year Z-Sh change 2-4 programs after USA traning Camp?

  18. #538

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    Exactly, weird as that may sound.

    USFS doesn't tell skaters where to train, but they tell coaches how to / what to choreograph, and they are very particular about skaters' costumes, too, which can be quite a nightmare (and expensive for the skaters, too).

    I suspect that they don't tell skaters where to train because they are not proposing to pay for training directly...

  19. #539

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1795
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Exactly, weird as that may sound.

    USFS doesn't tell skaters where to train, but they tell coaches how to / what to choreograph, and they are very particular about skaters' costumes, too, which can be quite a nightmare (and expensive for the skaters, too).

    I suspect that they don't tell skaters where to train because they are not proposing to pay for training directly...
    But maybe they could give advice?

  20. #540

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    If people with professional skater or coach's credentials were involved in the 'suggestion,' they might get in hot water with the PSA. You get booted from the association/suspended/warned/punished, AFAIR, for poaching another coach's teams.

    Robin Wagner (Sarah Hughes' old coach) got in difficulties for this, again, AFAIR, for poaching Angela Maxwell from Natalia Mishketunok, for example.

    http://mkforum.net/forum/showthread....9-Robin-Wagner

    That, and not wanting to get any bills/lawsuits from parents would be my relatively uninformed guess for why the USFS doesn't go there.

Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •