Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    vCash
    They got hammered by a tough tech panel, but they need to work on this anyway. This is what loses them points (that and their relative lack of speed).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    They got hammered by a tough tech panel, but they need to work on this anyway. This is what loses them points (that and their relative lack of speed).
    Judy was on the tech panel at Skate America during their disaster SD.. I would think she would try and credit as much as she could... P/I are so talented that they need a change in training environment as well as more speed..

vCash
    ? The 4CC's tech panel also had a Canadian dancer Shae Zukowskiy on it. The third member Gordon Buchanan is British. It takes a majority vote if there is any dispute on the levels.

The panel's job is to find all the problems with all the teams. They were pretty brutal to everyone, including the 4 top teams, so they did their job well. Furthermore, even more impressive, they gave credit to a Chinese team for getting a rhumba sequence right. So often lower ranked teams seem to not get credit for what they do do right.

If Paul & Islam had been doing their rhumba correctly, they would have gotten the levels.

It is not Judy Blumberg's job to encourage Paul & Islam, or any other team. It is her job, and the rest of the panel's job, to identify all problems that all the skaters have. And to give full levels to teams that do the elements correctly, and to assign correct levels.

In fact, identifying problems is the first step to fixing them.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    P/I? They flew across the ice today for most of the SD.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I feel sad fro Alex and Mitch. How they could be under H-D, who had fall at step sequence and mistake from Madi in twizzles? I missed something?
    And i hope no way Judy Blumberg will be at WCh. All skaters unhappy with there levels.

vCash
    I think it is true that all the skaters are unhappy with their levels. There is an icenetwork article about the SD up that is almost entirely skaters wondering why rhumbas that were level 4 at GPF were less here.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Scott Moir

Asked his opinion of the Rumba levels, Moir lived up to his reputation as the most forthright member of the Canton quartet.

"One little turn from 1964 [actually, the Rumba was created in London in 1938] is worth so many points in 2012, so you have to dumb down your program a little bit to put the Rumba in, to be honest," he said. "That's how I feel. I think that's the challenge with some of these older, simpler pattern dances, versus the Golden Waltz or Tango Romantica."
    Kaitlyn Weaver

Kaitlin Weaver, who lies third with partner Andrew Poje, was .. diplomatic and a bit more detailed.

"We really trained the Rumba harder than ever after Canadian nationals, and to see the levels being lower is a little frustrating," she said. "Every caller has a different objective they are looking for mainly. We have to go back and work on the gray areas."
    Meryl Davis

"It's certainly a little frustrating," said Meryl Davis, who with partner Charlie White leads archrivals Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir by 0.55.

"Particularly as it pertains to the Rumba, we feel stronger [here] than at competitions where we've gotten a Level 4. So it's a little bit frustrating, but we've all learned different callers are looking for different things, so it's kind of 'back to work' as always."
    The Shibutanis

"I think it's another good experience for us," Alex said. "We want the judges to be tough because then we know what we have to work on when we get home and be ready for the world championships."

"It is great preparations for worlds," Maia said. "I think this is a very good experience for us, and we're looking forward to the rest of the season, especially tomorrow."
    Charlie White

You can't be mad at the callers. They're doing it consistently across the board. From competition to competition, I think the callers sort of focus in on different things, so after the competition we'll try to figure out exactly what went wrong. They're just doing their job
    Elvin Walker has an article up at Golden Skate

The Technical Controller, Shae Zukiwsky, a former competitive ice dancer himself, was particularly hard on the leveling of the rhumba patterns for the competitors. Davis and White earned only a level three for each of their two patterns.

Clearly, there were two members in that panel, one Canadian, one American.
    Last edited by DORISPULASKI; 02-12-2012 at 01:23 PM.

vCash
    What a night. I just want them to be able to put this season behind them and start fresh next fall.

vCash
    Really felt for them tonight, this season has been a rough one but hopefully they'll see Skate Canada sending them as a confidence boost since they could've easily sent R/H instead.

Hoping them all the best moving forward and hope they come out healthy and strong next season!

vCash
    Their actual finish is probably pretty much what SC was hoping for them (5th or 6th ) in that field..but what a miserable competition... It was so awful to see so many struggling , the guys in particular, who have to expend the extra effort to lift their partners ( I was afraid Alex Shibutani wasn't going to get through their program ).

On to brighter things , I hope.

ETA..On top of the fall and the breathing difficulties , did anyone else think that Mitch was favouring his left thigh a bit, when they came off the ice ? I hope he's not injured , now.
    Last edited by Pratfall; 02-13-2012 at 06:14 PM.

vCash
    This team has the worst luck. Mitchell Islam seems to have a hex on him. His previous partner suffered from severe asthma which limited their ability to compete. His current partner has had more than her share of injuries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    ETA..On top of the fall and the breathing difficulties , did anyone else think that Mitch was favouring his left thigh a bit, when they came off the ice ? I hope he's not injured , now.
    Hmm, I'll have to take a second look at that. I actually thought there might be trouble with his balance. He looked really off to me at nationals, teetering even in the lifts where he is usually so strong. Then the fall here, plus the fact that he once again looked off balance for the entire program. It just seems odd to me that he looked off balance two competitions in a row, especially since he was solid as a rock at the beginning of the season when Alexandra was struggling. I'm wondering if he's dealing with some health issues as well. I hope not. I don't know how much more bad luck these two can handle.

vCash
    I really feel for these two. I love their FD and felt that, even with the bobbles, they delivered it beautifully at Canadians. I wanted so badly for them to end this season with their best performance of this FD. It was very sad to see the looks on their faces in the KnC. Like others, I hope they can put this season behind them while carrying forward any lessons to be learned. I sincerely hope they have better luck in the future, as they are such a promising young team. Hang in there, Alex and Mitch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bournekraatzfan View Post
    I really feel for these two. I love their FD and felt that, even with the bobbles, they delivered it beautifully at Canadians. I wanted so badly for them to end this season with their best performance of this FD. It was very sad to see the looks on their faces in the KnC. Like others, I hope they can put this season behind them while carrying forward any lessons to be learned. I sincerely hope they have better luck in the future, as they are such a promising young team. Hang in there, Alex and Mitch.
    I concur. Regardless of their mistakes, they are a beautiful team to watch and I love how tender they seem towards each other. I would love for Kaitlyn and Andrew to have a heart to heart with this team because I feel like they've had their struggles as well and look how well they are doing now.

vCash
    I think they need to learn to be a fighters. I think they need to go to Z-SH

vCash
    I think they did quite well in spite of the injuries this season and last. They have some "fight". They just didn't have enough time but if they stay injury free next season, they will make a move. I also think that spending part of their time training with others might benefit them even if they have to leave the country for a bit.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elle123 View Post
    I concur. Regardless of their mistakes, they are a beautiful team to watch and I love how tender they seem towards each other. I would love for Kaitlyn and Andrew to have a heart to heart with this team because I feel like they've had their struggles as well and look how well they are doing now.
    I was actually thinking the same thing. I was hoping that maybe W/P had taken the time to mentor P/I a bit since they were all at 4CC together. W/P are a perfect example of how success can come out of adversity, and I hope that P/I can follow their lead and just keep pushing forward.

I have actually been impressed with them all season. In spite of everything they've come out time and time again and put on brave faces, despite the fact that youcould tell they were struggling. It has been particularly nice to see how caring they seem to be towards one another. It looks like they're really getting through this as a team, which speaks volumes about how strong their partnership must be and how much potential they have moving forward. I'm really hoping to see them at Thornhill in August (they withdrew this past summer due to injury but were in the crowd watching).

vCash
    I wish V-M will be there coaches after 2014 OG

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    I wish V-M will be there coaches after 2014 OG

If anyone's interested, here's commentary free versions of their 4CC performances.

SD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKGTAKgTwuQ

FD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDrvMxuuzY4

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    While I understand and share the angst over this season's missed opportunity to establish themselves as Canada #3, especially before Gilles/Poirier get international results, I don't understand the angst over their performances at 4C's. It's their first international competition since an injury-plagued Fall, and they had and maintained beautiful speed and flow in both programs, despite any flaws in them. They performed some beautiful lifts -- I noticed that he was actually on an edge during the one-footed lift section; I thought the men were always on flat for those -- and were very elegant throughout.

Any skater at any level can catch a toe-pick during a program, especially when attacking from speed, and it's happened to the best.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 02-14-2012 at 06:06 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Not all the men are on flats during lifts when they are balanced on one leg. Here's one case:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGJ9on3j1mM#t=2m30s

I noticed Mitch was a great deal more steady in that lift; it looked really good!

Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast