Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

vCash
    I think R-H need to improve during next season, like they did in this season. They only start talking ballet classes, have normal costums and programs.
    And not every skaters have money on Dean choreo. But i like Lane-Razgulyevs programs and hope they will support this guys.
    And Alex with Mich after this season need to understand, what they need more - school or FS. Because they need more off-ice traning to be healthy and ready for next season more, then ever. They need to fight with G-P.

vCash
    As to P/I 's prospects for the future, what they (and R/H for that matter) need to do is decide how serious they are about making this happen, then dig in for the long haul - work hard, change coaches, do whatever they have to do to fight their way up the ladder.

They have opportunities - they are still young, V/M won't compete past Sochi (and it's questionable whether W/P will go much further either, since Andrew would be turning 31 by the time of the 2018 Olys).

This is the approach W/P took - persistence (and being willing to go wherever needed, to make progress) and it paid off.

vCash
    For me the main question - for compete at high levels, they need to be ready for this. They wasnt at this season - so Alex had so many injuries
    i think they could have some traning with top coaches in summer.

vCash
    ita, flowerpower. It's a deep field in Canada, and persistence is super important, as is the ability to take advice as to where your team is lacking, and making the best plan you can form to fix any failings, and carrying out that training plan. from me for W&P's persistence, planning, and effort, (not to mention for great programs from them)

A really good move was W&P's instruction they took in acting. Very few of the ice dance teams are very good actors, so being good at that really sets them apart. Their good plan was to locate a niche at which they could excel, and making the most of it and more

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    ita, flowerpower. It's a deep field in Canada, and persistence is super important, as is the ability to take advice as to where your team is lacking, and making the best plan you can form to fix any failings, and carrying out that training plan. from me for W&P's persistence, planning, and effort, (not to mention for great programs from them)

A really good move was W&P's instruction they took in acting. Very few of the ice dance teams are very good actors, so being good at that really sets them apart. Their good plan was to locate a niche at which they could excel, and making the most of it and more
    ITA. I think what W/P did was phenomenal. They just continued to work on their weaknesses, never gave up, and just when everyone had written them off, they made a massive leap up the standings. I don't think anyone would have imagined at the beginning of last season that they would be serious contenders for a world bronze right now, but here we are.

Unfortunately for Canadian dance teams, persistance is going to have to be something that they all learn. The field is just so deep. That means doing exactly what W/P have done and working extra hard to fix the most pressing issues. I think that this is something R/H have really done this season. They've come out with a simpler, more mature look this season (at least in the FD) and have really adressed some of their posture issues. I have been seriously impressed with them all season, and I am happy that they will get the chance to go to worlds. They certainly deserve it after making such improvements. That being said, there's still something missing for me, and I can't for the life of me figure it out. I love their connection to each other, and the way that they interpret music. They skate with pure joy, and it's beautiful to watch. Yet, I can't shake the feeling that they are lacking in some way when compared with V/M, W/P and P/I. Still, I expect they will continue to improve if they stick with this style of programs.

I feel like the situation is a little different for P/I. After last season, it didn't seem to me that they had any particularly glaring problems that needed to be fixed. They had already made substantial improvements over their junior season the previous year, which was very impressive itself. They were excellent technically, skated with a lot of ease and flow, and carriage certainly wasn't a problem. They even had chemistry, although they could have benefitted from developing that a little further. What they needed to do was gain more confidence and experience, something that their injuries ultimately prevented from happening. I still think this is the case. This is not a team that requires massive changes. They still have all of the qualities that they had previously, and I think that their presentation, look and material suits them really well. I just think they need to get healthy and rebuild the confidence that they've lost this season. As for developing a niche, I don't think they need to. They've already got one. Nobody seems to consider them V/M clones anymore. They're now becoming known as a team with beautiful, balletic, elegant lines and presentation. It seems to me that elegance will be their niche, just like V/M's is musicality and chemisrty and W/P's is passion. That being said, I think they are cabale of more than that (just as V/M and W/P are), but I guess they'll always be known best for one thing. I do think that P/I could benefit from a change of environment. They're basically training in isolation right now, and that can't be good. There's a reason that the top five teams in the world all train at two rinks.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the entire Canadian team at 4CC. On a completely unrelated note, how does everyone feel P/I and the others will manage with the yankee polka?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    It's a deep field in Canada, and persistence is super important, as is the ability to take advice as to where your team is lacking, and making the best plan you can form to fix any failings, and carrying out that training plan. from me for W&P's persistence, planning, and effort, (not to mention for great programs from them)
    I absolutely agree, and if a team wants to be a contender, that's what they have to be prepared to do. Tessa and Scott themselves had to move away from home at a young age to seek better coaching, then move again to Detroit, fight through a very challenging medical condition that is career-ending for many athletes, etc.

There will be opportunities soon enough for these younger teams (the ones who are willing to make changes and find ways to improve, and persist through difficult times).
    Last edited by flowerpower; 02-05-2012 at 11:44 PM.

vCash
    Isn't Paul's dad his coach? I imagine this is part of the reason why they continue to train where they do-how do you tell your dad you want out? Tho' if his dad thought about it, maybe he would admit it is the best thing for them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer2 View Post
    Isn't Paul's dad his coach? I imagine this is part of the reason why they continue to train where they do-how do you tell your dad you want out? Tho' if his dad thought about it, maybe he would admit it is the best thing for them.
    There coach is Mitch Islam dad.

vCash
    Perhaps they could use a different coach over the summer-sometimes teams do that and the result is very good for all concerned. And maybe dad's coaching might improve too, if he learns from the kids. And certainly going outside for choreography is always an option. Have P&K gotten outside choreography? IDK

vCash
    Marie-France Dubreil and Patrice Lauzon chereographed their FD last year and I for one, loved it. I think they should definitely use them again.

vCash
    David Wilson did this year's FD, Romain Haguenauer the SD. I think he also did their Jr. OD. Pavol Porac did last year's SD ( Regardless of the difficulties inherent in Wangos, I'd love to see him do a Tango FD for them , sometime..their tango expression is excellent )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    David Wilson did this year's FD,
    I love this FD - i love music, i love choreo and i love lifts. I wish Wilson will work with V-M next season (if they didnt want to work with Dean )

vCash
    David Islam has been great about getting P/I outside choreo and exposing them to a range of excellent choreographers.

He's a well-regarded coach, however I don't believe he has ever had a senior team competing at the Worlds level. P/I are the best team at their rink, so they don't have that experience of training alongside other top teams on a daily basis. OTOH I'm sure they are their coach's top priority.

There are some pros and cons to their situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    David Islam has been great about getting P/I outside choreo and exposing them to a range of excellent choreographers.

He's a well-regarded coach, however I don't believe he has ever had a senior team competing at the Worlds level. P/I are the best team at their rink, so they don't have that experience of training alongside other top teams on a daily basis. OTOH I'm sure they are their coach's top priority.

Agreed. I think the coaches are doing an excellent job with them, especially when it comes to getting good choreograhers for them. Their material has been excellent the past couple of seasons. Again, my only concern is that they're in isolation there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    Agreed. I think the coaches are doing an excellent job with them, especially when it comes to getting good choreograhers for them. Their material has been excellent the past couple of seasons. Again, my only concern is that they're in isolation there.
    I agree. Their FD this year is one of my favourites this season...unexpected, intricate in a meaningful way (attending to the phrasing of the music--not just difficult for the sake of being difficult), and really showcasing their ability to work with the nuances of the music. Art. I just want to add that Kelly Johnson consulted with David Wilson on the choreo according to their ISU bio (and I believe Tracy Wilson mentioned this).

I also loved their FD last year (and I never felt they were V&M clones). I feel so lucky to have seen it live at SC and wow...I was speechless. Like Tracy said later in the gala, you knew you were witnessing something special. I think Marie-France and Patch's work is very good and worked well on Alex and Mitch.

I am delighted SC will send them to 4CC as the 4th and 5th place scores were very close. I really like both R&H and P&I, so I am excited to see them each compete at another event this season. Best of luck to them and all the 4CC participants!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post

so glad you mentioned this. He certainly seems to have given them a solid foundation in terms of their skating skills. and I agree, they are certainly their coach's top priority.

vCash
    Fingers crossed for 4CC!!!

vCash
    I hope RadioCanada is streaming again.. I'm so excited for this competition. ( So many teams I like ) I really hope P/I do well , to spur them on for next season.

Great post upthread , skatingfan04 !

vCash
    Not the greatest, buit still a step up. I'm a little peeved about the placement, but they seemed to be enjoying themselves for the first time this season, which was nice to see. At least they were able to get into the program.

vCash
    I was surprised to see the score as low as it was today. So were they, I think.

Everyone gives Alex crap about her dresses, but I think they are lovely.

Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast