Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elle123 View Post
    Why, are R/H retiring?
    No, but if a first year team where she's barely out of juniors and skater relatively poorly will outscore them, what'll happen when they get good?

vCash
    No, I wasn't alright with it from the SD ... I can't accept the 1.5 ( or so ) differential in favour of R/H..Oh , sure people can explain the mathematics of it , and the caller called what they called , etc... BUT to have 2 dances called so closely , one mature , sophisticated, naturally expressed..the other pretty tacky in places ( though not as grotesque as earlier in the season ) and as far as I could see, not noticeably better executed really makes it difficult to accept.

That this should result in P/I not going to World's does kind of upset me...I don't know if 4CC is much consolation.

But I , too , will be happy to see them again this season.

( R/H need to escape Scarboro...)

vCash
    iTA that R&H need to escape Scarboro.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    No, but if a first year team where she's barely out of juniors and skater relatively poorly will outscore them, what'll happen when they get good?
    But that new team not only outscored R/H but also P/I. And even if P/I had skated to their fullest this year, the push the new team is getting would still have outscored P/I.

So when that new team "gets good" their marks will be better than V/M.

Everyone should retire or change coaches, or at the very least start skating non-dance programs with tricks galore, with bent leg choreo to hide unison problems, with silly smiles to look like chemistry, and most importantly buy the same promo team.

vCash
    To be fair, I think the fact that the "new team with her just out of juniors" scored so much higher than P/I and R/H had a lot more to do with the judges than what that team actually put out on the ice. P/I and R/H both skated well, but the judging really didn't give them a chance to beat G/P, regardless of the fact that both deserved to. If the judges continue to hold them up, P/I, R/H and pretty much every other team in the country will never be given the chance to compete internationally again. That's what scares me. I'm hoping the insane boost that they recieved was a result Paul's previous reputation, and that once the international judges give them the numbers they actually deserve, the results within Canada will once again reflect the actual skating being done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smithie View Post
    Everyone should retire or change coaches, or at the very least start skating non-dance programs with tricks galore, with bent leg choreo to hide unison problems, with silly smiles to look like chemistry, and most importantly buy the same promo team.
    Good to know I'm not the only one who sees it that way.

vCash
    I heard that Samuelson (sp?) also tried out with Paul, very curious as to how they would've worked out - I liked her when she was skating with Evan Bates. Coincidentally, she's now skating with Piper's brother.

vCash
    Wouldn't Emily have been a bit too tall for Paul?

vCash
    According to isu bios, Emily is only a cm taller than Vanessa, not sure about the accuracy but maybe that's why it didn't work out.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Samuelson was top 10 at Worlds with Bates. I can't imagine that USFS wouldn't try to refuse her release for as long as they could, even if it was she who was dumped by her partner. euterpe has pointed out that timing-wise, they're even holding Gilles for longer than two seasons.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I worry for P&I. They are technically very strong but I don't think they have the right training environment. I think they need to be in a place where they are training with other top teams like V&M and W&P do. Right now, they are training in isolation.

I also don't know know who advised them on their program choices and music this year but it wasn't good. Especially their FD. I actually thought they toned down some of the storyline in the FD compared to SA. Another thing P&I really need to work on skating "bigger". Really projecting out to the crowd and almost being OTT in their expression. If you watch V&M, W&P and even G&P, they are all really "out there" in their expression and skate big. P&I need to do this.

I must say that I loved Alexandra's new FD dress. Gorgeous colour and design on her. She looks great in the jewel tones. It was a big step up from the frumpy thing she wore at SA.

I question how close Orford & Williams came to them at nationals. I didn't think O&W had a strong SD, P&Is was much better skated and it seems to me that P&I are much stronger skaters and have better line, unison etc than O&W. Some very odd judging.

vCash
    I agree, Alex's FD dress was gorgeous and much better than the old one. Also agree that they should move to another coach if they want to grow because they have lots of potential, especially for a relatively new team.

vCash
    I really like all FDs in last group and O-W FD at Canadian Nationals
    Its sad Alex and Mitch didnt had enough time for show this FD on 100%.
    I like choreo, i like lifts and i like this song very much
    If they wish to be in team next season, they need practice more and maybe in good skating school. where they could have good traningon and off ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    Good to know I'm not the only one who sees it that way.
    Nope, you're not!
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    I agree that a change in training environment could do them good. Not that I have any complaints about their material. I loved this year's FD, and the SD has grown on me a lot. I just think that having other teams to push you is really important. Making that move paid off for W/P, who came out looking like a new team after their move to Detroit.

I also agree that they could stand to develop some more power. As for projection, I think that's something that has suffered this season because of the circumstances. When I saw them in person last season, they certainly had a presence on the ice, but I feel like their confidence has been shaken, and that that has hurt the performance aspect of their skating. I'm hoping to see them looking more confident when the new season begins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    To be fair, I think the fact that the "new team with her just out of juniors" scored so much higher than P/I and R/H had a lot more to do with the judges than what that team actually put out on the ice. P/I and R/H both skated well, but the judging really didn't give them a chance to beat G/P, regardless of the fact that both deserved to. If the judges continue to hold them up, P/I, R/H and pretty much every other team in the country will never be given the chance to compete internationally again. That's what scares me. I'm hoping the insane boost that they recieved was a result Paul's previous reputation, and that once the international judges give them the numbers they actually deserve, the results within Canada will once again reflect the actual skating being done.

Couldn't have said it better!

vCash
    So...apparently P/I just skated in a show that Skatebuzz was streaming live. The problem is, I apparently missed all of it, and there don't seem to be any videos in archives. Anyone have any info?

http://skatebuzz.com/ViewNewsArticle...9-8e5ccf0883d0

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/thinkf...an-and-friends

Considering I've been on skatebuzz.com at least 50 times in the past 3 days, I'm really annoyed at myself for missing this. Did anyone happen to catch it? It must have been a good show...Chan, Weaver/Poje and Cynthia Phaneuf were apparently in it too.
    Last edited by skatingfan04; 01-25-2012 at 01:16 AM.

vCash
    I am really wanting to catch their fd as well, any leads on an fd link?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jl22aries View Post
    I am really wanting to catch their fd as well, any leads on an fd link?
    If you go to http://tsn.ca/figure_skating/ and scroll down on the right side, it should allow you to open a video player. If you then go to video library and select figure skating (you'll have to scroll down a bit) you should get a list of videos from the Canadian championships. If you look through, one of them shows the final flight for the ice dance fd. P/I were the first skaters. I'm pretty sure that the site isn't geoblocked, so it might be worth giving it a try.

vCash
    BTW, I found some info and pics of that show that I posted about a few days ago.

http://buzz.roots.com/2012/01/roots-...in-forces.html

Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast