Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Dumb question - is Mitchell Islamic? It's an unusual last name...
    I was wondering the same thing. I think I heard him & his dad speak French during k n c, but apparently all canadian geese do. weird

vCash
    I very much doubt it . It sounds more British to me. And if he were, wouldn't his first name be Mohammed, or Rashid, or something like that.......
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Mitch's mom is Debbie Albright Islam a former Canadian Junior champ and senior medalist. She is a judge. His dad is a long time coach at Mariposa north of Toronto.
    Mitch speaks english and might speak French too.
    Here is an article from Skate Canada about his mom:
    Judge: Debbie Islam Jan 4, 2010

By Skate Canada
    Welcome back to our series of profiles on Skate Canada’s officials assigned to the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver.

Debbie Islam, from Barrie, Ontario, assigned to judge the men’s event, has been skating since she was two years old and is a former Canadian Junior Women’s Champion, the 1979 senior ladies bronze Medalist (a year in which she won the figures portion of the championship) and a member of Canada’s National Team for five years. Debbie trained under coaching greats Sheldon Galbraith, Ellen Burka, Kerry Leitch, Marjorie Black, Otto Gold and Osborne Colson. Debbie also started judging at a young age, getting involved while still competing. “It was a great opportunity to see things from a totally different perspective, which really helped my own skating at the time.”

While pursuing her university education, Debbie has a Bachelor of Science degree and a Master of Health Science degree, she wanted to stay connected with figure skating as it was such a big part of her life. “I felt I had a lot to contribute and give back to a sport I am so passionate about!”

Debbie has judged internationally for 20 years during which time she has officiated at six ISU World Figure Skating Championships. Vancouver will be her second Olympic Winter Games; she judged the ladies event in Salt Lake City in 2002. Debbie is the current Chair of the Skate Canada Technical Officials Committee, was the first athlete representative on the Skate Canada Board of Directors, has sat on various committees in her section of Central Ontario and has served as a representative for figure skating on the Canadian Olympic Association Athletes’ Advisory Council.

Asked about the upcoming Olympics, Debbie says, “Words cannot describe how honored I feel to be assigned to judge at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver!! This will be the experience of a lifetime!”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    I very much doubt it . It sounds more British to me. And if he were, wouldn't his first name be Mohammed, or Rashid, or something like that.......
    not necessarily.

vCash
    I love how involved his family is. this arrangement seems to work.

I watched the FDs at SA and felt that they were undermarked. I really like their program, though I do realize that it is tougher to sell to judges than last year`s program. I agree with Pratfall, their scores may have suffered due to the problems in the SD. I cannot wait to see the progress they make on both programs by the time NHK rolls around.

vCash
    It is possible to get good scores after a really bad SD. At Skate America, P&B. At CoR in 2008, D&W. For that matter, P&I at SC 2010.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    It is possible to get good scores after a really bad SD. At Skate America, P&B. At CoR in 2008, D&W. For that matter, P&I at SC 2010.
    True, but P/I's SD here wasn't just rough like their SC one from last season (where they scored a fairly respectable 50), it was a complete disaster. And they don't have the reputation that P/B or D/W do to help them out. Heck, Im pretty sure most of the skating world has no idea who they are (something that I think will change fairly quickly). I'm not saying that it's impossible to drastically pick up your scores after the SD, just suggesting that it might be harder for an unknown team who has that type of meltdown. I guess we'll see how things go at NHK.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    True, but P/I's SD here wasn't just rough like their SC one from last season (where they scored a fairly respectable 50), it was a complete disaster. And they don't have the reputation that P/B or D/W do to help them out. Heck, Im pretty sure most of the skating world has no idea who they are (something that I think will change fairly quickly). I'm not saying that it's impossible to drastically pick up your scores after the SD, just suggesting that it might be harder for an unknown team who has that type of meltdown. I guess we'll see how things go at NHK.
    my thoughts exactly. I really hope they can rebound at NHK.

vCash
    Well, after the ice dance non-event that was CoC, I'm quite excited for NHK -- there are more teams than not who interest me -- but am both anticipatory and a little nervous yet for P/I. Really hope to see both programs competed to their potential, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderblue View Post
    Well, after the ice dance non-event that was CoC, I'm quite excited for NHK -- there are more teams than not who interest me -- but am both anticipatory and a little nervous yet for P/I. Really hope to see both programs competed to their potential, though.
    Yes, now that they've had a bit more time to settle into their programs after her injury, I'm hopeful that they can put it together for their next comps. I really hope they can max it for Nats.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Hope they will be ready for NHK. And hope she is doing well.
    A lot of will depend from technicka panel of judges i think.

vCash
    I've really been looking forward to this event. This could be one of the most exciting GP's for dance. I hope they're ready. I hope she's over the injury..and I hope my nerves hold up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    I've really been looking forward to this event. This could be one of the most exciting GP's for dance. I hope they're ready. I hope she's over the injury..and I hope my nerves hold up.
    Yes - this will be vry interesting to see who will win. Shibs, I-K, W-P.... And where P-I will be at the end of competition?

vCash
    I hope their coaches encourage them to go out guns blazing, and project project project. They skate really prettily, which is great, but I wonder what would happen if they pushed themselves to the edge a little more.

vCash
    I think push, push, pushing is how they happened to fall down. When teams go to senior, they often have to increase their speed. When they try to do that, other things sometimes come apart a bit the first year or two.

vCash
    I hope they're able to go out guns blazing.

I'm sure there was a combination of things at work at SA. I understand speed was something they were specifically working on off-season...and they weren't painfully slow last year , as some teams are in their transition year. Still, I can see a bit too much push, a bit too soon after her injury being a factor, and maybe some nerves ... because they managed to get a 2nd GP, but it was the first and they weren't as ready as they'd have liked to be.

I'm interested in how some of the other teams do as well ( go, W/P , and S/S) , but particularly interested in the relationship of P/I to so many. Thinking of Nationals , how is the differential between them and W/P shaping up at this stage? Can they whittle away the distance between themselves and Z/G at SA ( and by extension R/H ) ? Two years out of Juniors how do they compare to WJ podium mates ,I/K ?or WJ competitors S/S and A/V ? It will be very interesting..

Crossing fingers for them.

vCash
    NHK's just around the corner now! I'm really excited to see how they've progressed. I'm not expecting them to be 100%, but a clean SD should set them up nicely for a good finish. I'm not too interested in how they stack up to the others, only because I don't think its fair to compare teams when one is injured. As for their speed, it seems that they have slowed down quite a bit this season, which makes sense since she's hurt. I really don't think they were lacking in the speed department last season. It's hard to judge from TV, but I saw them at last summer's Thornhill live and they were really flying. They weren't lacking power either. I'm sure they'll regain all of that once she is completely healthy. Fingers crossed for them this weekend!!

vCash
    Well, half of NHK is in the books. A much better outing this time around in the SD. Still, though, they looked tentative and scared, and it showed in the marks. They essentially got a GOE of 0 for their entire program. Their FD at SA seemed so much more secure that I wonder if the FD was choreographed prior to her injury (giving them more time to work with it) and the SD later in the summer. I guess it could just be the Latin theme that gives them trouble, but given how well they did with the Tango last season and the Flamenco the year before, I doubt that's the problem.

Still, it was nice to see them redeem themselves and at the very least get through the performance in one piece. I'm hoping they can get back in the groove before nationals, because I like this program and really want to see it skated full out.

Keeping my fingers crossed that they really nail that gorgeous FD tonight.

vCash
    Glad they stayed on their feet today.

It's interesting that P&I were the World Junior Silver medalists the year that I&K were first and the Shibs were 4th. Both teams have sorta left P&I in the dust.

P&I are better skaters than their marks/placement indicate. I really think it's unfortunate that they had the SD and overall placement at SA that they did because that is probably now in the minds of judges and affecting their PCS.

As much as I love the first piece of music they're using for the SD, I'm thinking that perhaps they shouldn't have gone the "subtle" route. It just doesn't stand out enough against all the other teams who are doing really dynamic and "in your face" SDs. It's kinda sad that they are behind that US team and the Italian team (who were also at JW finishing 5th the year P&I were second).

One concern I have for P&I is that they are basically training in isolation. They have no other high level dance team to compare themselves to day in and day out with things like speed, power, ice coverage etc.

What other dance teams is David Islam coaching at the moment?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    Glad they stayed on their feet today.

It's interesting that P&I were the World Junior Silver medalists the year that I&K were first and the Shibs were 4th. Both teams have sorta left P&I in the dust.

P&I are better skaters than their marks/placement indicate. I really think it's unfortunate that they had the SD and overall placement at SA that they did because that is probably now in the minds of judges and affecting their PCS.

As much as I love the first piece of music they're using for the SD, I'm thinking that perhaps they shouldn't have gone the "subtle" route. It just doesn't stand out enough against all the other teams who are doing really dynamic and "in your face" SDs. It's kinda sad that they are behind that US team and the Italian team (who were also at JW finishing 5th the year P&I were second).

One concern I have for P&I is that they are basically training in isolation. They have no other high level dance team to compare themselves to day in and day out with things like speed, power, ice coverage etc.

What other dance teams is David Islam coaching at the moment?
    ITA, with everything. I think though, that if P/I were skating now the way that they were last season, they would be much, much closer to I/K and the Shibs. It's a shame that due to the high level of ice dance in Canada, P/I didn't get to go to worlds and compete with I/K and the Shibs last season.

It seems that the injury and the poor result from SA has really done a number on their confidence, and its showing the in PCS. Their technical score wasn't too bad, but their PCS was really low compared to the top teams. I think the reason the sultry style isn't working is that they seem so tentative and out of sorts that they're not connecting with one another. Hopefully by nationals they'll have reached the point with this program where they don't have to be so methodical and can really push the performance level.

This season will likeky be a rough one for them, but I'm sure that next season, if Alexandra is healthy and they have a full summer of training, they should be right in the mix with those two teams and the rest of the young up and comers.

As per their traning arrangements, I worry about the isolation as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see them move somewhere new in the next couple of years, at least part time. Trainig with a rival has done wonders for V/M and D/W, and it seemed to really make a difference for Weaver/Poje as well. I'm hoping that that type of push would help these two further along as well.

Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast