Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

vCash
    If a Fall or interruption occurs at the entrance to or during a Set of Sequential/Synchronized Twizzles and is immediately followed by other
    Twizzles (for the purpose of filling time), the element shall be identified and given a Level according to the requirements met before the Fall or
    interruption, or No Level if the requirements for Level 1 are not met, and the additional part shall not be identified.
    Looks like the "interruption" occurred right after about 2 twizzles for her, so the rest of the sequence was rendered moot. I *think* a twizzle sequence is defined as at least one rotation in each direction.

What an unfortunate mistake for them. I love the music and the program and would love to see them grab the Sochi spot.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Looks like the "interruption" occurred right after about 2 twizzles for her, so the rest of the sequence was rendered moot. I *think* a twizzle sequence is defined as at least one rotation in each direction.

What an unfortunate mistake for them. I love the music and the program and would love to see them grab the Sochi spot.
    so this

2. If a loss of control with additional support (touch down by free leg/foot and/or hand(s)) occurs after a Twizzle has commenced and the Twizzle continues after touchdown (without interruption), only the clean rotations before the touchdown shall be considered for Level.

combined with this?

Level 1
    (for each partner)

At least one rotation in each of the two Twizzles

vCash
    Ah, that must be it. I feel like this is one of those things where the letter of the rule doesn't necessarily make sense in the strictest application (the same mistake can happen on a later set and get the whole element level 2, while the next two clean sets here were considered irrelevant), but at least there's some explanation. The bigger takeaway really is the PCS triumph, and that they did hold on to the podium despite loss of an entire element, and didn't let it affect their performance -- that says something for where they're finally getting themselves.

Here's a recap article with a couple of quotes from them: Canadians win two bronze at Nebelhorn Trophy

vCash
    Did P/I not skate in the gala? I was skimming through the live stream video from the gala and I don't see them anywhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    so this

2. If a loss of control with additional support (touch down by free leg/foot and/or hand(s)) occurs after a Twizzle has commenced and the Twizzle continues after touchdown (without interruption), only the clean rotations before the touchdown shall be considered for Level.

combined with this?

Level 1
    (for each partner)

At least one rotation in each of the two Twizzles
    Yes. She didn't meet the requirements for level 1, so blammo! zero points
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    Jammers you are one of the most negative posters.
    Loosen up! They know what they need to do, have made tremendous strides and will move forward.
    That's Jammers being Jammers!
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    Jammers you are one of the most negative posters.
    Loosen up! They know what they need to do, have made tremendous strides and will move forward.
    Perhaps, but in this case, I agree with the comment. I love Paul and Islam and would love to see them make the Olympic team this year, but as I commented in the Nebelhorn thread, they seem to be their own worst enemies, as I can only count a handful of competitions that they have made it through without a major mistake. I know that they have also had bad luck with injuries, but the biggest issue right now seems to be competition nerves.

vCash
    I think Paul and Islam are where they need to be at this stage of the season - they don't want to peak early. Beautiful programs, beautiful skaters. Their skating skills are outstanding, body lines gorgeous -- the best team in the competition had it not been for the mistake.

vCash
    I hope everything is ok.. I don't think they skated at the gala..

vCash
    Apparently they did skate in the gala , because AlexD over at GS ( if I understood correctly )was just saying their gala performance was so beautiful and hinted he/she was close to tears.

Help! Video anyone ?

vCash
    Whatever they did, they didn't appear in the gala finale...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderblue View Post
    Whatever they did, they didn't appear in the gala finale...
    Strange...

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    There's one black & white photo of their show program here among the Getty Images thumbnails: http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Se...013+Oberstdorf
    ETA: Sorry, I didn't look closely - as lavenderblue posted below it's of Purich/Tran.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    That's mislabeled -- it's Purich and Tran.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne7 View Post
    I think Paul and Islam are where they need to be at this stage of the season - they don't want to peak early. Beautiful programs, beautiful skaters. Their skating skills are outstanding, body lines gorgeous -- the best team in the competition had it not been for the mistake.
    ITA. I cannot believe the amount of control they exhibit in every position, and those soft knees are just
    I especially love the last piece of music and can't wait to see how this develops throughout the season. I am so jealous of those of you who will see them at Skate Canada!

Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    Apparently they did skate in the gala , because AlexD over at GS ( if I understood correctly )was just saying their gala performance was so beautiful and hinted he/she was close to tears.

[...]
    Thanks for the info, Pratfall. I hope we get a video.

vCash
    I know that the ethereal look is part of their appeal, but I wonder with Alexandra being so petite, if a shorter dress would look better on her - sometimes she looks swamped in the clothing. I have to agree about the 'one big mistake per event' syndrome, even if it isn't exactly true, I think we still wait for something to happen to spoil their beautiful program. Maybe the judges are too. Ice dance is cruel in that the skaters can't recover that mark in their FD. Wish they could have an optional element to make up a mark.

vCash
    I remember a time when kaetlyn and andrew were prone to errors. I think working with K and C will bring them confidence and consistency.

vCash
    That would be my hope! K & C did a great job with Kaitlyn & Andrew

But I do wonder whether K & C are stretched a bit too far choreographically these days. Their school has so many students, and so many teams coming just for choreography.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    I know that the ethereal look is part of their appeal, but I wonder with Alexandra being so petite, if a shorter dress would look better on her - sometimes she looks swamped in the clothing.
    I'm wondering how this would look if they wore something totally modern and bright. Perhaps something like Crone & Poirier's Eleanor Rigby costumes. It would be so unexpected, but I think it would really make them standout and perhaps erase some of the "frail/etheral" and "V/M clone" imagery.

vCash
    What shouldn't be overlooked here is that P/I won the event in PCS -- and not only that, they just saw a boost of nearly four points in that area from what they earned at last year's Nebelhorn, as well as from their earlier range (2011-12 excepted). The judges gave them about as much as they reasonably could.

Something I also think is overlooked a lot in discussions and comparisons of teams is the actual difficulty level of what P/I are doing. They have some of the purest skating-based programs out there right now, especially with that FD. There's very little time to stop, there's not much breathing room, but they're skating into and out of everything, entering and exiting elements on running edges. They're changing hold frequently, they're changing direction and getting major ice coverage and speed, all with run of the blade. I think there are some who don't recognize or agree with that, but I don't think the judges are among that group. They see what's out there and they're rewarding it.

Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast