Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I don't want to minimize the problem... but we'll just have to see what shakes out at Canadians and 4CC.. we have seen very talented , hard working teams manage to catch a bit of momentum before.. I think it's possible though far from assured for both teams. With P/I, I think they've made good progress at DSC and we haven't seen them in weeks , so there can be more to come from them even this year.

Their FD ,especially, is an excellent vehicle..and I hope their polka has shaped up a lot. I don't worry so much about the music choice ..not like I did at the beginning of the season. If I/K can get away with their SD, it won't be the music , but the levels that tell the tale.

ETA;..Um..I wonder if they're taking part in DSC's pay-per-view Skating Gala? it's soooo close to Canadians..but just a hop, skip and Jump down the road... If so , I hope someone will report.
    Last edited by Pratfall; 01-08-2013 at 03:57 AM.

vCash
    An official cast list has yet to be released, but I'm thinking that P/I might be skating in the Detroit Skating Club's annual champions sendoff. Apparently it's going to be live streamed and not geoblocked, but I think there is a cost attached. Here's the thread:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...hampions-Revue

I'll post if I find out more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    An official cast list has yet to be released, but I'm thinking that P/I might be skating in the Detroit Skating Club's annual champions sendoff. Apparently it's going to be live streamed and not geoblocked, but I think there is a cost attached. Here's the thread:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...hampions-Revue
    Paul & Islam are scheduled to perform one of their programs tomorrow night.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash

vCash
    Looking good. I'm liking how all the highlights are coming right on cue..go , guys!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    Thank you!
    Its amazing how canadian ice dancers look light on there feets
    All the best at Nationals to them (like all other skaters).
    P.S. Its amazing - she look like Tessa

vCash
    O, and i watched new team - Olson-Hubbel. They look promissing

vCash
    I'm really liking the way they look right now. There were a few bobbles, but little things like that don't worry me too much. What I did see was an improvement in speed, power and confidence, which I think are going to be the factors that come into play when you consider the fight between them and Gilles/Poirier. Their unison seemed pretty on as well. I can't wait until next weekend! I'm going to be at the Hershey Center to watch the SD and the FD (as well as pairs, men's and ladies free skates and the gala), and I'm actually counting the days down.

vCash
    I'm rooting for them to beat out Gilles and Porier too. Enjoy yourself skatingfan04...give a yell out for me
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    I'm rooting for them to beat out Gilles and Porier too. Enjoy yourself skatingfan04...give a yell out for me
    Thanks It's my first ever nationals (I've been dreaming of going to one since I was very young), so I'm REALLY excited!! And I'll be sure to yell extra loud when P/I skate for all of their fans here. Is anyone else going to be there??

vCash
    Skatebuzz has just posted all of its 2012-13 national team videos, including these three with P/I:

Up Close: Alexandra Paul and Mitch Islam
    Rapid Fire: Alexandra Paul
    A Minute With: Alexandra Paul & Mitch Islam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderblue View Post
    Skatebuzz has just posted all of its 2012-13 national team videos, including these three with P/I:

Up Close: Alexandra Paul and Mitch Islam
    Rapid Fire: Alexandra Paul
    A Minute With: Alexandra Paul & Mitch Islam
    Thank you! They seem like such nice people

vCash
    So....where do P&I go from here? Devastating result for sure. It was practically a tie for 3rd with O&W. I'm disappointed SC is not sending them to 4ccs. In a way I'm not surprised they had a mistake, they hadn't competed that FD since mid or late Sept. Thats too long between events. I think they are nervous competitors and need to get out more competing throughout the season to get more experience and also to help them get an ISU ranking for GPs.

Their SD was beautifully skated (and undermarked) and their FD was WAY more difficult and detailed than G&P's. They are also much stronger skater/ice dancers than O&W. Much better packaged and turned out. Very frustrating. I hope they don't quit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    Their SD was beautifully skated (and undermarked) and their FD was WAY more difficult and detailed than G&P's. They are also much stronger skater/ice dancers than O&W. Much better packaged and turned out. Very frustrating.
    ITA. But I think the current scoring system is part of the problem. The nuances that are so difficult and take so many years to master in ice dance aren't being rewarded. P/I's SD was fantastic and I was disappointed to see them behind G/P at that point already.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    So....where do P&I go from here? Devastating result for sure. It was practically a tie for 3rd with O&W. I'm disappointed SC is not sending them to 4ccs. In a way I'm not surprised they had a mistake, they hadn't competed that FD since mid or late Sept. Thats too long between events. I think they are nervous competitors and need to get out more competing throughout the season to get more experience and also to help them get an ISU ranking for GPs.
    They do seem error-prone, but then again W/P also were at one time, and they seem to have improved a lot in that area. I really hope P/I persist. I suppose that SC wanted to send G/P to 4CC since W/P's chances of being at Worlds seem slim, so best to get G/P as much prep as possible in hopes of winning 3 spots for the Olys. That wouldn't leave room for an O/W vs P/I skateoff.

vCash
    I was so sad for them,I hoped they would get silver.But the good thing is,that they have a coaching team around them,that can deal with these situations.I remember that after the 2006/2007 season Faiella/Scali considered to stop,because they were slowly dumped by the international judges,but Camerlengo convinced them to continue.After that season their careers kicked-off with two medals at ECH and one World`s medal.
    And look what they did for W/P. After they didn`t qualify for the Olympics,a lot of people thought,they could never become one of the best teams in the world,but they did it.

Paul/Islam have too much talent to stop.I think,they just need a breakthrough moment like the 2010/2011 FD at Worlds was for Weaver/Poje.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta24 View Post
    Paul/Islam have too much talent to stop.I think,they just need a breakthrough moment like the 2010/2011 FD at Worlds was for Weaver/Poje.
    Agreed! I was so heartbroken for them. It was such a shock for those of us sitting in the stands, especially since they were skating such a lovely program. Their SD was spectacular in person, it really was. There was an energy in the building while they skated, they managed to get the whole audience into the palm of their hands. I hope that they felt that at least. Trust me, they made fans out of a lot of people that day. I hope they keep fighting. You get the sense watching them that they are capable of greatness. All the makings of it are right there, they just need them to come together. I agree, all they need is a breakthrough, and for luck to work in their favor for once.

I do think of Weaver/Poje when I look at these two. W/P were in pretty much the exact same position a few years ago. They missed worlds multiple times, and it looked like they were fizzling out. Everyone had written them off. Boy, did they ever prove everyone wrong. I hope that P/I can take inspiration from them, and keep fighting.

vCash
    They are such a young team (age wise) and so talented. I would be very surprised if they gave up at this point. It was a silly mistake and one that I hope doesn't happen again. I enjoy them and am hoping to see them next year if not before. You never know what will happen, they may luck in one of these days.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    A lovely message from P/I on Facebook. Nice to see that they've still got a fighting spirit.

https://www.facebook.com/AlexandraPaulMitchellIslam

Just wanted to get a couple of thoughts that have been rolling around in my mind out there. Thinking ahead to next season, P/I should be able to get some senior B events once again, which should help their international ranking. I also think they have a good shot at getting the host spot to Skate Canada. The other teams should be getting assignments based on worlds and 4CC, so P/I would be the logical choice for the spot. If all of that works out, along with their usual trip to Thornhill and likely the Lake Placid Championships, they should have a pretty good start heading into Nationals. Their chances at making the Olympics will depend on how many spots Canada actually has, but they'll be right in the mix. Even if they don't make it, they'll go to 4CC at least (the Olympic team almost never goes). All in all, I think they could have a really great year. I hope they come out all guns blazing next season. Their time in Detroit has already paid off in spades (the improvement was obvious at Nationals), so if they continue to build on that, they could have another breakthrough. Just my two cents.

On a slightly unrelated note, I'm still a little confused as to how GP assignments are awarded. If someone could shed some light on that, I'd appreciate it.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Since P/I are not slotted for Worlds -- 1-12 are guaranteed two GP spots -- nor do they have a Season's Best (SB) score from a GP or championship -- only 1-24 on the SB list are guaranteed a spot and 25-75 are eligible to be picked -- and since they are #33 on the Worlds Standings list -- only 1-24 are guaranteed a spot -- the bottom line for them is that unless by some miracle they end up attending either 4C's or Worlds or are sent to World Team Trophy and end up with a Top 24 SB, the only way they'll be eligible for a GP spot is if they are chose for one of three Skate Canada spots for which they were passed up this year.

If they were entered in and won one of the early season Senior B's listed in the GP announcement -- this year the US International in SLC, Nebelhorn, Nepala, Finlandia, Cup of Nice -- they'd be put at the bottom of the substitutes list. This year, the top of the list was barely grazed, there were so few substitutions.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    the only way they'll be eligible for a GP spot is if they are chose for one of three Skate Canada spots for which they were passed up this year.
    To clarify, that was what I was referring to. I realize they won't be able to make the top 24 internationally, but I was thinking they would have a good shot at being selected for the host spot. They were passed up this year in favor of Gilles/Poirier, who will now be going to worlds and will be able to get assignments without taking up a host spot. I'm sure SC realized how close P/I would have been to G/P if that fall hadn't happened, so one would think they would want to help them develop.

Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast