Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I should have been more specific and said "straightline lifts" -- White would have gotten no where on a flat in that lift
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I daresay this is stupid of me, but if you're on an edge, isn't it technically going to be a curved lift rather than an straight line lift? Because on edge, you're going to have at least some kind of long shallow curve if you're on an edge at all.??

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    From behind, he looked like he lifted her going straight down the ice, but was slightly tilted on an edge. That was what surprised me. He wasn't trying to swing her around, like White did Davis in the example you gave.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    I was actually thinking the same thing. I was hoping that maybe W/P had taken the time to mentor P/I a bit since they were all at 4CC together. W/P are a perfect example of how success can come out of adversity, and I hope that P/I can follow their lead and just keep pushing forward.

I have actually been impressed with them all season. In spite of everything they've come out time and time again and put on brave faces, despite the fact that youcould tell they were struggling. It has been particularly nice to see how caring they seem to be towards one another. It looks like they're really getting through this as a team, which speaks volumes about how strong their partnership must be and how much potential they have moving forward. I'm really hoping to see them at Thornhill in August (they withdrew this past summer due to injury but were in the crowd watching).
    ITA, and I am so impressed they could perform as well as they did given the lack of training time along with everything else they had to deal with. Skaters who have had sufficient training found it difficult to cope with the altitude, so I cannot even imagine how Alex and Paul felt. I was so impressed that they got through that program. I just felt bad that they had those mistakes because they looked a bit dejected when they left the ice. I can't wait to see them next season (though I am sad to say goodbye to this season's programs). I, too, hope to attend Thornhill. Until then, I will be rewatching their captivating FD from Canadians. Go Alex and Mitch!
    Last edited by Bournekraatzfan; 02-16-2012 at 05:03 AM.

vCash
    Just wanted to add that I ADORE P/I's lifts. All of them. I honestly thing Mitchell is one of the best lifters in the world. He has an uncanny ability to make Alexandra look weightless, and makes the entries and exits to their lift look so seamless. And of course, her posture, carriage and extensions in the lifts are always stunning. My personal favourite from this season is the rotational lift they do before going into the diagonal step sequence in the FD. He barely even bends over, and she's already flying effortlessly through the air. It's really amazing.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    On a more superficial note, if Islam had curls, Adam Rippon would have competition for the most angelic face.

vCash
    Now that this season is in the books, I can't help but think ahead.

I'm trying to figure out what a Yankee Polka SD would look like, but I can't seem to picture it. Heck, I'm not even sure what music you would use for something like this, aside from a full out traditional polka. Does anyone happen to know what other styles will be allowed in conjunction?

vCash
    March & waltz, same as for the Grand Ball OD in 2003.

Strictly speaking, a shortened version of Der Fledermaus would work well. (And I hope to heck Meryl & Charlie DON'T DO IT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    March & waltz, same as for the Grand Ball OD in 2003.

Strictly speaking, a shortened version of Der Fledermaus would work well. (And I hope to heck Meryl & Charlie DON'T DO IT.
    March? Like, a full out military march a la John Phillip Sousa? (Sorry, I'm an orchestra musician. To me, march means, well, a march.) Is that really even danceable? I can see how a waltz would work, though.

vCash
    Oh yes, a march is danceable (albeit maybe not Sousa)

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/...-0-file,00.pdf

I see the Gallop was also allowed for the Grand Ball OD.

Denkova/Staviyski wowed the crowd with their unusual baroque-style dance to a March and a Waltz rhythm
    One of my favorite OD's ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doyxpzJDK5g

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The 2003 OD was generally not to Sousa marches, since the music was supposed to be appropriate for a Grand Ball, not a public march, but Strauss II wrote a bunch of marches and gallops, the most famous of which is the Radetzky March. Another famous piece is the Tritsch-Tratsch-Polka. They're almost always played on the PBS New Year's special from Vienna.

I found this list of Strauss works:
    http://www.johann-strauss.org.uk/strauss.php?id=124

vCash

2002/2003 season OD

Navka & Kostamarov used a more explicitly military march in the second half of their 2003 Worlds OD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNwbPJ0Gy1o

I like this one too

Chait & Sakhonovsky also included a march.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCU4Y...eature=related

Faiella & Scali did a waltz & a gallop
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJndbIXI68k

Winkler & Lohse did march, waltz & polka
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5ji16WetfE

Bourne & Kraatz, Belbin & Agosto, Dubreuil & Lauzon, Delobel & Schoenfelder, and Lobacheva & Averbukh all did waltz and polka.

vCash
    Ah, I see how that would work. Thanks so much for the info.

vCash
    Any music ideas? I'm stumped.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I'm not sure what the exact music is, but Balanchine used a fierce drums only segment for the "MacDonald of Sleat" movement in "Union Jack"

vCash
    It seems P/I were in another show a couple of days ago in Peterborough (Ontario). Here's an article about the event.

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.c...aspx?e=3473467

The cast list was quite amazing (Kurt Browning, Elvis Stojko, Sale & Pelletier, etc.) I really wish they would advertise these shows better. This sounds like it was a really good one, and I had no idea it even existed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    It seems P/I were in another show a couple of days ago in Peterborough (Ontario). Here's an article about the event.

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.c...aspx?e=3473467

The cast list was quite amazing (Kurt Browning, Elvis Stojko, Sale & Pelletier, etc.) I really wish they would advertise these shows better. This sounds like it was a really good one, and I had no idea it even existed.
    I remember PJ Kwong tweeting about this event but unfortunately, I don't live near Peterborough.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    It would be wonderful if CSOI could add a local skater or two to the roster to "introduce" the skaters to the local audience. I think P/I would make a lovely addition to CSOI.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    It would be wonderful if CSOI could add a local skater or two to the roster to "introduce" the skaters to the local audience. I think P/I would make a lovely addition to CSOI.
    I think it would be great to do this with the junior champion. In 2010 it would have been great for the Vancouver show to have Liam Firus and this year they could have Mitchell Gordon. Introducing fans to the Junior National Champion who lives in the area would be fabulous.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    I think it would be great to do this with the junior champion. In 2010 it would have been great for the Vancouver show to have Liam Firus and this year they could have Mitchell Gordon. Introducing fans to the Junior National Champion who lives in the area would be fabulous.
    I would love that. Too bad it never happens

Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast