Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I really like this program. Actually, I really like the potential (when skated cleanly) of their SD as well, because it's so dramatically different from what every other team is presenting -- it's got a sophistication and sensuality that suits them.

I do wonder, however, if their FD might be a difficult sell at all for its being more serious and dramatic in nature. It's far too early to say if that's really going to impact scores or not this year, but they did feel a bit underscored to me today. They weren't at their best, but were they that much "worse" than they were at Skate Canada last season (and I know, home soil, but still)?

vCash
    I loved it. This is a great vehicle for them. I also feel that they were underscored on it.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Thanks for the link. I love watching them, and look forward to seeing them put it all together competitively. For a pair who placed ahead of the Shibutanis in juniors, surely they will overcome their adversities and become stronger as seniors. Too bad about their problems with the SD at SA.

vCash
    ITA with everything above. I'm now really excited about this FD. The more I watch it, the more I like it. I think this will be a really great vehicle for them once they have the time to iron out the kinks. Can't wait for NHK!!

vCash
    Well ,I finally get a chance to say something...There's some beautiful stuff in this FD program. I particularly love her position in what I think of as the " swan dive " lift . I'm sure you'll know the one I mean. Actually, I like all the lifts , but that one just gets me where I live.

I think they may have been dinged a bit in their scores as a result of coming into the FD in 8th. Here's hoping they can put it all behind them at NHK .

Banned Member
    vCash
    I found their free dance rather lifeless and boring they looked very slow too i think the score was about right for them.

vCash
    I suspect this is a team that starts out slowly and builds as the season progresses.. (at least I hope so)...similar to V/M who tweak and change things until it all works.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    I have to admit their FD had the most repeat value for me, but I still can see its flaws. I think words like "subtle" and "hard to sell" are easy excuses for the lack of dynamism with this team. It may be a strategic error on the part of the coaches by having their SD be a rhumba--and be "subtle" again. Having them to do a more in-your-face SD would've made their FD be met with less resistance.

Also, they need to end their FD with something more hard edged. That soft ending is kinda irritating.

But I loved that circular step sequence. The exit out of that particular element was particularly lovely. The middle section was extremely well done.

vCash
    I love many qualities about this team .. and I don't think they looked particularly slow.

I hope and believe they will work at tweaking throughout the season, and if she can keep the recovery from her injury on track , that will make a big difference.

But...while I'm a fan of the subtlety in their skating, and wouldn't necessarily have them change it , I think they need a costume fix. I feel kind of weird saying that because they are really so well turned out. Alex's dresses are always beautifully cut , with good use of fabric ,straps always perfectly placed, etc.; and she's so beautifully proportioned, just about anything is going to look good on her. I'm just beginning to get a small sort of too-clever-by-half feeling about the whole package...I hope to see the SD take on a bit more of a sinuous quality ( which it very well may , sans accidents ) ,and I think it would help a lot if the skirt fell from the hip , not from the waist.( What about if the skirt was lined with a very lightweight vermillion silk, or something ? )

Then - the colour is too similar between the SD and FD costumes. I don't know if the overdress ( negligee?) is black or dark blue..but the overall effect is .. the same dark blue as the SD costume. I think it gives off a somber aura that is a bit too much given the tone of the program. I think she should maybe be in a warm colour to help draw the audience in and to help with the proscribed "uplifting" ending.Even another coloured overdress..( a different blue , dark turquoise , e.g. ) would help. This would go a long way to bring out the "passion" in the program , not so much "angst' .

vCash
    Really love their choice of music for the FD and it was lovely. I think 74 was too low, it's too bad they had such a hard time in the SD, I always think the judges have it in the back of their minds and the score reflects that. They have a good FD, just need some time to really get comfortable and skate it full out. I agree with Kurt B...gosh they are a good-looking couple!
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Dumb question - is Mitchell Islamic? It's an unusual last name...

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I finally saw both programs, and despite the errors in the SD, I thought they looked great for a team that missed training due to injury.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    What exactly is wrong with her - does anyone know? All her falls came on pirouettes - does she have some kind of inner ear problem?

I really loved the SD despite the falls. Theirs and R/T's are the ones I like the most from this dreadful season. Maybe that's because it's mostly all rhumba with a change of music right at the end.

If I were them, I'd ditch the FD completely. The music is awful and the dance looks half finished somehow. In a pinch I think taking their SD from last year and making it into a FD would work better than what they've got.

I think this team has great potential, but I think they'll be in a real battle for 3rd with that FD. R/H and possibly H/G [havent seen their programs] could step up and challenge them, and maybe even G/P from reports.

vCash
    They initially said something about the back of her knee , and then on CBC's coverage Kurt mentioned her meniscus..but it wasn't an official report , he was just being the colour guy. However, that can take some time to fully heal and they're only recently back on the ice , after , I think (trying to count ) , about 6 weeks off.

Regardless of what I don't like about their FD , there's some beautiful stuff in there , and they have a lovely " dancerly " quality to their skating, which many couples lack. I'm completely with Kurt on that , too.

We'll see how they do at NHK. With David Wilson as choreographer , I can't believe their program won't be very competitive on paper...and could be much more engaging if they're healthy.

Tak.. I don't think it will happen this year , but I long to see this couple take on a Tango FD almost as much as I'd love to see one from V/M...Both couples truly have a feel for the dance and could produce something really memorable.
    Last edited by Pratfall; 10-26-2011 at 07:26 AM.

vCash
    Tak.. I don't think it will happen this year , but I long to see this couple take on a Tango FD almost as much as I'd love to see one from V/M...Both couples truly have a feel for the dance and could produce something really memorable.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes...I think they could do a wonderful tango.......not many can
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Oh, I'd LOVE to see a tango FD from these two. I think they'd be great at capturing both the soft and the sharp aspects of that dance. Maybe next season.

As for them not making the world team, I doubt that will be the case. Maybe I'm just biased, but even with the improvements, I still don't think Ralph/Hill are as good as P/I. And I'll only believe the hype about Gilles/Poirier once I've see them. Provided that Alexandra continues to heal, one would hope that they should be pretty healthy by nationals, and I suspect that these programs will be more than enough to get them on the podium.

My biggest issue with their FD at SA was simply that they didn't seem to be into it emotionally. It looked like they just wanted to get through it without falling, which is understandible for a team coming back from an injury that had a completely disastrous SD. The program itself is beautiful (although I wish they would use a greater variety of dance holds in the footwork sequences), and I think that under more ideal circumstances they will really be able to capture the theme and the emotion. I'm not giving up hope yet

vCash
    Also regarding Gilles/Poirier -- let's not forget that even if they medal at Nationals, they won't be eligible this season to compete on the 4CC or Worlds teams due to Piper's nationality issue/release from the USFSA, correct?

That said, I'd rather see P/I earn the spot with bronze then get it by default.

It's opinion, but I do think that the FD as a program is solid, which leads me to wonder what they can do to elevate their PCS. They scored well technically aside from the SSs, which do tend to take a little more time than other elements to really gel. Can they improve their presentation sufficiently to make a leap, or was some component of the scoring simply down to their coming in as the last-place finishers and first skaters (and thus unlikely to receive much generosity) as well as, on their end, performing under relatively stressful circumstances?

vCash
    It's hard to say watching the FD on youtube, but I would gather these two could work on projecting outwards. Their skating has a delicate sensibility to it, and it reads as slow and wanting in power. I'm sure with mileage, age, and improvements over time, they'll be able to blend power and delicate precision. They do seem visibly slower than other couples, no? I want them to do well. And you can really feel their fans wanting them to do well, they're such charming and lovely skaters.

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fic86...&feature=feedu

Eurosport's coverage. I think it's Nicky speaking?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    ...I think they need a costume fix. I feel kind of weird saying that because they are really so well turned out. Alex's dresses are always beautifully cut , with good use of fabric ,straps always perfectly placed, etc.; and she's so beautifully proportioned, just about anything is going to look good on her. I'm just beginning to get a small sort of too-clever-by-half feeling about the whole package...I hope to see the SD take on a bit more of a sinuous quality ( which it very well may , sans accidents ) ,and I think it would help a lot if the skirt fell from the hip , not from the waist.( What about if the skirt was lined with a very lightweight vermillion silk, or something ? )....
    I haven't watched their SD, but I agree about the Alexandra's FD costume. There is something distracting about the skirt. There is a reason the skirts are often attached at the top of the hip with a V in the front and the back. This cuts flows nicely and is flattering to the leg line. I also think it could use a bit of sparkle.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the program. I think it will get better with a bit more mileage.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast