View Poll Results: Do you think Worlds should go on as planned?

Voters
305. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it should go on as planned.

51 16.72%
  • I think it should still be held in Japan but delayed a month or so.

47 15.41%
  • I think it should be held in another country within the next month or so.

85 27.87%
  • I think it should be canceled for this year.

34 11.15%
  • I'm not sure, but I think the officials should wait at least 48 hours before making a decision.

84 27.54%
  • Other

4 1.31%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crzesk8dad View Post
    Continuing to hold the Worlds in Tokyo confirms how self-centered and small minded some folks at the ISU continue to be. I have been through the aftermath of two major (at least then they were considered major) earthquakes. It took weeks and even months for life to return to normal for the community. Our quakes were only 6.5, not 8.9.

Yes, there is the argument that a diversion would be welcome. But, right now, the Japanese people are probably doing whatever it takes to get things back to normal. Is now really the time to bring in added security issues, traffic and the always pompus wanting to be pampered ISU officials?
    I see where you come from, but different people in different places can handle different diasters better. For example, two feet of snow in NY caused one week of confusion but would cause a month of confusion where I live.

Besides, people deal with bad situations differently too. Joannie decided to skate after her mom died instead of withdrawing at the Olympics. Now everyone says that was the most courageous skate of the event.

Perhaps "life will go on" (including skating) is the Japanese way, and they should most definitely be respected for whatever decision they make.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I see where you come from, but different people in different places can handle different diasters better. For example, two feet of snow in NY caused one week of confusion but would cause a month of confusion where I live.

Besides, people deal with bad situations differently too. Joannie decided to skate after her mom died instead of withdrawing at the Olympics. Now everyone says that was the most courageous skate of the event.

Perhaps "life will go on" (including skating) is the Japanese way, and they should most definitely be respected for whatever decision they make.
    The Japanese people are a strong, resilient people. They have been through much in their history and will overcome this trying time, as well.

Whatever the decision, it is my hope that it is in their best interests and not those of a few outsiders.
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash
    Postpone & move it to another country.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    Postpone & move it to another country.
    Agree. Perhaps France - they were going to be there next year so maybe Japan and France could switch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    What about other sporting events?
    I think observing what others are doing could serve as a reference. What are they doing with their upcoming baseball, football, and golf tournament schedules?
    Now all of major sports events are cancelled in Japan.

All of baseball games and Nagoya International Marathon were cancelled on March 13th.

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000159-jij-spo

Asian Football Confederation has announced officially the upcoming AFC Champions League 2011 matches of Japanese clubs would be postponed until further notice.

http://www.the-afc.com/en/tournament...l-ain-match-on

And all of TV channels have been broadcasting News about earthquakes and tsunami.
    Not any sports, sings, dramas or comedies, etc.

I cannot say anything about the World Figure Skating Championships. I can only say Japan concentrates our attention on the disaster.
    The longer the time pass, the more damages appear. It is general when a huge terrible disaster happens, because it is hardly to get the real information just after the disaster.

vCash
    In the other sights, it is much more important to support victims than excitement or laugh in Japan now.
    Which side will World Figure Skating Championship stand?
    Will it be a support event for general people?
    Or will it be exciting games only for skating fans?

As a figure skating fan, I would like to see the World Championships. I understand how hard skaters, coaches and staff has been preparing for it. And I also understand people who are planning to Tokyo want to know whether it will happen or not as soon as possible.

Basically Tokyo will recover all transportation in a couple of days.
    But I wish anyone also consider Japanese feelings and hearts.
    Last edited by NONKO; 03-12-2011 at 10:05 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NONKO View Post
    Now all of major sports events are cancelled in Japan.

All of baseball games and Nagoya International Marathon were cancelled on March 13th.

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000159-jij-spo

Asian Football Confederation has announced officially the upcoming AFC Champions League 2011 matches of Japanese clubs would be postponed until further notice.

http://www.the-afc.com/en/tournament...l-ain-match-on

And all of TV channels have been broadcasting News about earthquakes and tsunami.
    Not any sports, sings, dramas or comedies, etc.

I cannot say anything about the World Figure Skating Championships. I can only say Japan concentrates our attention on the disaster.
    The longer the time pass, the more damages appear. It is general when a huge terrible disaster happens, because it is hardly to get the real information just after the disaster.
    Thank you for this. I was wondering about this - in 10 days time will Japan TV even broadcast worlds or will attention still be on the tragedy?

I wondered if they would move worlds to South Korea for early April or something. At the same rink that just held Jr Worlds.

vCash
    I love how everyone thinks you can just up and move something to another country that took over a year to plan. That would be a logistical nightmare. Would you be able to move your wedding? Any that is a much smaller and a much less expensive affair.

That is why the ISU gives these countries over a year or two to prepare.

vCash

Should Japan go on with Worlds?

I think another country should have it. Japan needs to clean up , get things back to normal which will take a long time. The skaters and coaches and everyone else who will go to the event needs to be safe. If it is held in Japan now, the skaters minds will not be truly focused on the task ahead. Japan can hold the event sometime in the future. Don't put all these people at a risk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I love how everyone thinks you can just up and move something to another country that took over a year to plan. That would be a logistical nightmare. Would you be able to move your wedding? Any that is a much smaller and a much less expensive affair.

That is why the ISU gives these countries over a year or two to prepare.
    I agree; it would be a logistical nightmare to move an event of this magnitude to another country at such late notice.

vCash
    I saw on a Canadian news channel a small thing going across the ticker on the bottom, Tokyo will still host World Figure Skating Championships or something like that. I don't know if this is based on ISU's statement yesterday or something htey've said today though.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    I would be more concerned about the radioactivity. They should postpone the event 1-2 months and give the whole situation time to settle down. Not that all the destruction will be fixed by then but at least the initial trauma will be over. I would still be scared to go to Japan at all though if I was a skater, for fear of some sort of radioactive leakage.

vCash
    I don't think they are even close to being able to sort things out. Poor souls. As I was having a peaceful, sunny early Spring day, my heart was with those who are trying to survive this. I am sort of guessing they will need another venue, just too may variables and concerns.

vCash
    I still imagine the event will take place, unless there is a complete meltdown in one of the reactors. Life goes on. I live very near where the World Trade Towers stood, and saw with my own eyes many things I will never forget. When that first Mets game was played, here, at home, it was so welcome; like a miracle. Life does go on. Worlds must go on. If at all possible.

vCash
    According to the info at www.isu.org, the JSF is currently going forward with Worlds, but the airport is closed right now.
    "Further information will be given to the ISU by the JSF, in the meantime the ISU wishes to remind that the ISU World Figure Skating Championships are scheduled to commence with the practice sessions on March 20, 2011."

vCash
    bbtano, that ISU notice was issued on Friday, March 11. The Narita airport was up and running on Saturday and this is the latest statement by Ottavio Cinquanta from a press conference in Germany held earlier today:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...&postcount=423

vCash
    Japanese Government has officially announced people has to save electric power in all of Japan including Tokyo area, because some power plants got damage and electric power is not enough now.

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000146-mai-pol

vCash
    We'll find out more tomorrow, Monday, when the ISU says it will make a new statement. If current reports are accurate, the general situation in large areas of Japan may not have been stabilized by then. New projections on the death toll, on the nuclear power plants, and the dimensions of the rescue efforts, if correct, suggest that the country may not be ready to host any event.

vCash
    In the scheme of things, it's just sports. Other sporting events have been cancelled and I believe this one will not occur in Japan next week.

Personally, I think sending it to another nation asap and giving it back to Japan the next available year they can handle it better is appropriate.

Pros:
    - Uplifting to some
    - Volunteers could be used elsewhere

Cons:
    - Tourists and athletes could be in the way
    - Unnecessary use of electric, water, food, and other resources that could be used elsewhere in Japan
    - More people on the roads and at airports
    - Unnecessary people in hotels when they could be used for those displaced
    - Many countries asked citizens to stay clear of Japan for now
    - Rolling power outages could affect event electricity
    - Unknown radioactivity
    - http://www.kaj18.com/news/latest-dev...nami-in-japan/

Use common sense.
    Last edited by Dee2e; 03-13-2011 at 03:50 PM. Reason: added link

vCash
    I think the smartest decision is to at the very least postpone worlds.

I feel very badly about Japan. I also feel badly about the athletes that have worked hard this year. I think I'm doomed anyways to ever seen V&M's FD program but safety for everyone must override everything else.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast