View Poll Results: Do you think Worlds should go on as planned?

Voters
305. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it should go on as planned.

    51 16.72%
  • I think it should still be held in Japan but delayed a month or so.

    47 15.41%
  • I think it should be held in another country within the next month or so.

    85 27.87%
  • I think it should be canceled for this year.

    34 11.15%
  • I'm not sure, but I think the officials should wait at least 48 hours before making a decision.

    84 27.54%
  • Other

    4 1.31%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 71
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    232
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I agree with briancoogaert. Worlds really should not be cancelled because so many skaters have worked so much for this moment. I think it should be moved to another country (with a delay/postponement of course to maybe later this spring or summer) in Europe, USA, or Canada. Maybe Europe would be best, since so many of the federations are there.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,933
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I really disagree here. If skaters were making millions like hockey players, baseball players, I could totally see suggesting it become a charity event. But except for maybe a few skaters, many of these skaters could really use that money. The ISU is also threatening sanctions on skaters if they don't attend-these skaters deserve to get paid.

    How would you feel if someone said they were going to make you give your paycheck to the relief effort? What if you were planning on using that paycheck to pay your own bills and you really couldn't afford to give that much money. And why just the skaters, why not everyone? Its not about not wanting to be generous, its about the fact that people do have other responsibilities.

    If the Japanese federation wants to donate a portion of the proceeds that would be nice. Maybe they could do a charity gala. But no way should the skaters be forced to attend an event, an event that was suppose to give them a nice pay check, and not get paid.

    Its not like there aren't going to be a ton of relief efforts for the victims.

    Yeah, I agree with this, not because I don't care about the relief effort, but because some skaters are living in poverty. Maybe not American and Canadian skaters, and I know Adrian Schultheiss probably isn't going to that event, but I just read the article yesterday about him having to live on $900 USD a month which pays for his living expenses and his coaching/ice expenses.

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,933
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    I think the champs should be postponed and possibly moved to another location near that part of the world. They shouldn't be cancelled - it's not fair to all the skaters who have trained the whole year for this moment to have to wait another year.
    Yes exactly.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Jersey, Channel Islands
    Age
    34
    Posts
    9,119
    vCash
    925
    Rep Power
    790
    I might be wrong, I don't want to speak for victoriaheidi, but I took her post to mean that she thinks Worlds should be held instead of the WTT in April, and then the money that the ISU would have paid out if the WTT had taken place would go to charity. Not that they should still compete at the WTT but for no money.

    I think Worlds should be delayed if neccessary, but it does seem impossible to tell at the moment if it is necessary or not, and as people have said in other threads it is hard to think about when so much devastation has happened.
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,946
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4887

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    I might be wrong, I don't want to speak for victoriaheidi, but I took her post to mean that she thinks Worlds should be held instead of the WTT in April, and then the money that the ISU would have paid out if the WTT had taken place would go to charity. Not that they should still compete at the WTT but for no money.

    I think Worlds should be delayed if neccessary, but it does seem impossible to tell at the moment if it is necessary or not, and as people have said in other threads it is hard to think about when so much devastation has happened.
    I realize she could mean that but she needs to understand to that if Worlds doesn't happen as scheduled (and perhaps WTT too) the Japanese Federation could be out a lot of money. The Japanese fed may need that money to recoop some of their own loses.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal!
    Posts
    1,784
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    I don't agree with this one. Shouldn't it be individual skaters' decision what to do with their hard earned prize money? Of course it would be wonderful for earthquake victims and the sport if skaters generously donate portion of their earnings.
    That's not what I meant. I guess I skipped something-I meant that the event is completely extraneous at this point and that the JSF should just donate the money to the relief effort.

    I really disagree here. If skaters were making millions like hockey players, baseball players, I could totally see suggesting it become a charity event. But except for maybe a few skaters, many of these skaters could really use that money. The ISU is also threatening sanctions on skaters if they don't attend-these skaters deserve to get paid.

    How would you feel if someone said they were going to make you give your paycheck to the relief effort? What if you were planning on using that paycheck to pay your own bills and you really couldn't afford to give that much money. And why just the skaters, why not everyone? Its not about not wanting to be generous, its about the fact that people do have other responsibilities.

    If the Japanese federation wants to donate a portion of the proceeds that would be nice. Maybe they could do a charity gala. But no way should the skaters be forced to attend an event, an event that was suppose to give them a nice pay check, and not get paid.

    Its not like there aren't going to be a ton of relief efforts for the victims.
    See above.

    Sorry I went to bed without explaining myself!

    I realize she could mean that but she needs to understand to that if Worlds doesn't happen as scheduled (and perhaps WTT too) the Japanese Federation could be out a lot of money. The Japanese fed may need that money to recoop some of their own loses.
    I didn't think about that so much, mostly because I assumed that the ISU financed Worlds, while JSF financed the WTT (to get it to happen). If they can't afford it, there's no point in donating it.

    My overall point was that the World Team Trophy is going to be completely extraneous after this, and the money that JSF put out there would be better spent on relief-and I'm sure that most of the skaters would agree. And yes, I am saying that WTT should be cancelled.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Western US Mecca of Figure Skating
    Posts
    456
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Continuing to hold the Worlds in Tokyo confirms how self-centered and small minded some folks at the ISU continue to be. I have been through the aftermath of two major (at least then they were considered major) earthquakes. It took weeks and even months for life to return to normal for the community. Our quakes were only 6.5, not 8.9.

    Yes, there is the argument that a diversion would be welcome. But, right now, the Japanese people are probably doing whatever it takes to get things back to normal. Is now really the time to bring in added security issues, traffic and the always pompus wanting to be pampered ISU officials?

    I know that Mr. Cinquanta wants to hold the annual party, but maybe a delay or new location for this year is in order.
    Happy Skating!

    Crzesk8dad

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,946
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4887
    I didn't think about that so much, mostly because I assumed that the ISU financed Worlds, while JSF financed the WTT (to get it to happen). If they can't afford it, there's no point in donating it.
    I believe a hosting federation puts up quite a bit of money when they host event. Broadcasting rights, all kinds of things are involved and the Japanese federation could lose some serious money. I would think there quite a lot of money invested in WTT too.

    And to be frank, I don't see why both can't be postponed. WTT is a way for a lot of skaters to make some money. Why not maybe two months from now. Of course the goal was every two years, so maybe they could just have it next year, and the year after, and then move back to the two year schedule.

    Continuing to hold the Worlds in Tokyo confirms how self-centered and small minded some folks at the ISU continue to be. I have been through the aftermath of two major (at least then they were considered major) earthquakes. It took weeks and even months for life to return to normal for the community. Our quakes were only 6.5, not 8.9.
    The quakes though weren't in Tokyo from the reports. I think the issue is once again its not the ISU that stands to lose a lot of money, but the Japanese Federation as well. It all depends on how much life is affected in Tokyo.
    Last edited by bek; 03-12-2011 at 04:52 PM.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal!
    Posts
    1,784
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I believe a hosting federation puts up quite a bit of money when they host event. Broadcasting rights, all kinds of things are involved and the Japanese federation could lose some serious money. I would think there quite a lot of money invested in WTT too.

    And to be frank, I don't see why both can't be postponed. WTT is a way for a lot of skaters to make some money. Why not maybe two months from now. Of course the goal was every two years, so maybe they could just have it next year, and the year after, and then move back to the two year schedule.
    I wouldn't mind if both were postponed, but wouldn't that cut into skaters' prep for next season?

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    805
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Doesn't the ISU earn profit from tickets? Frankly, I don't see how there will be a great audience turn out this year. I'm sure a lot of the Japanese fans are not in the mood to see a figure skating competition in a crisis like this. And for international fans, air travel is inconvenient and there may be fears for safety reasons. Even if they manage to go on with the event, I don't see how they'll really benefit in terms of money because there will be many ticket reimbursements.

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,946
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4887
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Doesn't the ISU earn profit from tickets? Frankly, I don't see how there will be a great audience turn out this year. I'm sure a lot of the Japanese fans are not in the mood to see a figure skating competition in a crisis like this. And for international fans, air travel is inconvenient and there may be fears for safety reasons. Even if they manage to go on with the event, I don't see how they'll really benefit in terms of money because there will be many ticket reimbursements.
    I think its the broadcasting rights that really are an issue. If the event goes on as planned, they don't lose that money. Honestly I'm just inclined to leave it up to the Japanese. If they feel the event will hurt the relief efforts, or are just not in the mood after this horrific tragedy. Than by all means lets not have it in Tokyo.

    I highly doubt ticket sales is the main problem finance wise, as is the broadcasting rights issue.
    Last edited by bek; 03-12-2011 at 05:35 PM.

  12. #32
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    41,894
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    12637
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    Japan is in total chaos.
    Japan is NOT in total chaos. There is a certain geographical area 300km from Tokyo that has been affected, but other parts of Japan are as normal. Making statements like the above is completely misinformed and irresponsible. Even more unbelievable by someone who lives in California. When there's an earthquake in Los Angeles do you say the whole state of California is in chaos?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  13. #33
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    41,894
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    12637
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    One of the towers in the nuclear plant north of Tokyo just exploded. The cloud of radiation could go as far as California, they say. I'm not sure that I am willing to travel to Tokyo now...to put my health in jeopardy, as much as I love figure skating.

    Japn now has mandatory evacuations within 50 miles of the plant. The radius may be widened later today.
    Link?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,383
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    49369
    I voted for 'Other' because I could not find the exact answer I would have picked. The closest one was the officials should wait for 48 hours to make a decision.

    IMO we don't really have the information to decide what should be done about worlds, or how long they should wait before making the decision. One thing I am sure of is that the ISU, the JSF and the authorities responsible for the event should make the decision, when they think it is the right time to do so. Some of us may not like their decision, for whatever reason, but they are the right people to make it. I can live with whatever they decide and I am not going to judge them one way or the other, or the decision as right/wrong. They will make the best possible decision in a very difficult situation. I wish them and all the skaters, judges, coaches, etc. the best.

  15. #35

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,946
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4887
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I voted for 'Other' because I could not find the exact answer I would have picked. The closest one was the officials should wait for 48 hours to make a decision.

    IMO we don't really have the information to decide what should be done about worlds, or how long they should wait before making the decision. One thing I am sure of is that the ISU, the JSF and the authorities responsible for the event should make the decision, when they think it is the right time to do so. Some of us may not like their decision, for whatever reason, but they are the right people to make it. I can live with whatever they decide and I am not going to judge them one way or the other, or the decision as right/wrong. They will make the best possible decision in a very difficult situation. I wish them and all the skaters, judges, coaches, etc. the best.
    If Worlds gets cancelled, I'll be the first person to defend the decision. I really don't know enough facts to suggest if its feasible or not.

  16. #36

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,383
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    49369
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    One of the towers in the nuclear plant north of Tokyo just exploded. The cloud of radiation could go as far as California, they say. I'm not sure that I am willing to travel to Tokyo now...to put my health in jeopardy, as much as I love figure skating.

    Japn now has mandatory evacuations within 50 miles of the plant. The radius may be widened later today.

    My heart and prayers to the people of Japan, suffering now a 'triple whammy' - earthquake, tsunami and radiation.
    I watched live news on MSNBC this morning. They said the evacuation radius has been expanded from 6 miles to 12 miles (not 50 miles).

    They interviewed an expert (Geophysicist from Caltech) and a reporter who was in Japan.

    From what I gathered, the explosion was not related to the reactor core, and there is no imminent danger of a core meltdown. The Japanese authorities are being cautious, saying there is a "possibility" of a melt down, but it does not mean it's going to happen.

    They did have 125 aftershocks, many were > 6.0 and they may continue for several days, as per the geophysicist. The building codes in Japan are very tough, and he did not sound terribly concerned.

    The only question is how long the buildings that are already damaged withstand these.

    Some networks are sensationalizing the whole thing. It's best not to panic.

    I was watching MSNBC and CNN and can't remember which network interviewed an American who was in Tokyo. He said that they took the necessary precautions (getting under the desks) when the quake struck, but life was back to normal. He went out for lunch.

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    390
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I feel ISU should be considering alternatives by now.

    I think Tokyo would be in fair shape logistically to accommodate the event, barring further damages to it from the aftershocks. But, although the quake didn’t directly hit the big metropolitan areas, the tsunamis fatally affected vast areas along the northeastern coast and the actual casualties might be much, much higher than the latest estimates by the Japanese media and the government.

    More importantly, in addition to the hazard to the athletes from the possible aftershocks, it seems radiation exposure has now become a known and fairly predictable hazard to the athletes. Although experts say a Chernobyl-type disaster is almost impossible to happen at the Fukushima plants, there are certain facts to be considered regarding the nuke plant situation yesterday: (1) some traces of radioactive cesium and iodine was detected around the plant before today’s explosion, which experts say are the indications of nuclear fuel rod melting; (2) there was high level of radioactivity before and after the explosion; (3) the Japanese authority failed to act promptly in the first phase of the crisis and allowed almost a half of the fuel rod exposed bare of coolant; (4) there were at least three cases of radiation exposure cases today among the residents nearby and there could be more; (5) although it could have been a precautionary measure, Japanese authority has expanded the evacuation area from 3km radius to 50km radius within a day; (6) all of these are reported and known facts to the public, and it can be expected that the risk of radiation exposure is present over a wide area.

    Given these, I wonder whether the federations and the hosting organizations – ISU and JSF – could afford exposing themselves, for an indefinite period of time, to certain litigation risks for whatever aftereffects that might be suffered, or claimed to be suffered, by the participating athletes. I think nobody, including the Japanese, knows how much radiation hazards are actually there or how much radioactive substances were spewed out so far, but I wouldn’t be surprised if some federations, especially of those from the litigious societies like the US, end up not sending their delegations, if the Worlds is to happen as scheduled.

  18. #38

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Looking for cupcakes
    Posts
    30,719
    vCash
    5550
    Rep Power
    14856
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Japan is NOT in total chaos. There is a certain geographical area 300km from Tokyo that has been affected, but other parts of Japan are as normal. Making statements like the above is completely misinformed and irresponsible. Even more unbelievable by someone who lives in California. When there's an earthquake in Los Angeles do you say the whole state of California is in chaos?
    Thank you. As I said elsewhere and you helped me understand, I was embarassed to not know the size and land mass of Japan. You put into perspective what the country looks like.

    The news media can be right or wrong, and sometimes the information they provide is WRONG, make it appear that there is chaos everywhere.

    I am not sure where AxelAnnie lives, but from previous posts I assume somewhere in North America? Think about 9/11. Part of the country was in chaos. Relief efforts were going to NYC and other centers of attack, but most of the rest of the US went about business as usual. Not to say that we weren't affected by the events/disaster but that we went to work, went to school, discussed the events whenever possible, watched the news but still had to go through our daily lives.

    While this is an opinion poll, why would we as fans of skating know the inside scoop on anything about the structure of the arena, the safety of travel or the experiences that can or can not happen. The ISU does not listen to the fans of FS - if we can't get speedy ousted, you think they will take the word of fans to determine the fate of the event?

    ETA
    re: the concern of radiation exposure. Hello - this is a country who experienced the worst of radiation exposure through a deliberate action of another country. They know first hand some of the problems. There is an older population in Japan as well as other countries. I am guessing that the precautionary measures are partly a reaction to assure residents that they are doing all the right things, not that there is this a real danger. Ask rfisher about the levels of radiation that would cause health issues.

    Hysteria does not help the situtation.
    Last edited by numbers123; 03-12-2011 at 06:13 PM.

  19. #39

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    FSU Witness Protection Program
    Age
    26
    Posts
    27,956
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    12587
    Numbers, I agree completely.

  20. #40
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,357
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    2366
    Japan is dealing with a complete upheaval of their transportation system, there are now ca. 10,000 people missing in one town alone, there was a second earthquake exceeding 6 on the Richter scale (that's not just an aftershock) while the first was restimated to a 9.1, the airports are a mess and most flights in and out have been canceled, oh, and a nuclear reactor is in meltdown from the damage. The ISU may not even have much of a say in whether anything continues as planned--the Japanese government may very well tell them sorry, we have much more important things to worry about at the moment, call back in a month or six months.

    I lived less than half a mile from the site of the Pentagon attack and yes, I was riding to school (near the State Department, while other classes met right down the Mall from the Capitol) the day after 9-11 through Pentagon Metro. HOWEVER. 9-11, besides a major disruption of the air-transport system, didn't leave tens of thousands of people without food, water, shelter or transportation with bonus risk of even a semi-contained radioactive incident.

    Probably, the ISU ought to either cancel (every argument for just proceeding was the same in 1961 only more so, as Prague was perfectly fine, you'd just be minus one team and some officials) or reschedule somewhere else in a month or two. At the very least this will play holy hell with skaters being able to GET to Tokyo.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •