View Poll Results: Do you think Worlds should go on as planned?

Voters
305. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it should go on as planned.

51 16.72%
  • I think it should still be held in Japan but delayed a month or so.

47 15.41%
  • I think it should be held in another country within the next month or so.

85 27.87%
  • I think it should be canceled for this year.

34 11.15%
  • I'm not sure, but I think the officials should wait at least 48 hours before making a decision.

84 27.54%
  • Other

4 1.31%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
    In the scheme of things, it's just sports. Other sporting events have been cancelled and I believe this one will not occur in Japan next week.

Personally, I think sending it to another nation asap and giving it back to Japan the next available year they can handle it better is appropriate.

Pros:
    - Uplifting to some
    - Volunteers could be used elsewhere

Cons:
    - Tourists and athletes could be in the way
    - Unnecessary use of electric, water, food, and other resources that could be used elsewhere in Japan
    - More people on the roads and at airports
    - Unnecessary people in hotels when they could be used for those displaced
    - Many countries asked citizens to stay clear of Japan for now
    - Rolling power outages could affect event electricity
    - Unknown radioactivity
    - http://www.kaj18.com/news/latest-dev...nami-in-japan/

Use common sense.
    Thank you Dee for stating my opinion as well, and so clearly. BBI*CEO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
    Personally, I think sending it to another nation asap and giving it back to Japan the next available year they can handle it better is appropriate.
    The next available year would be 2014 worlds after the Sochi Olympics. 2012 Worlds has been awarded to Nice, France, and 2013 Worlds has been awarded to London, Ontario, Canada. Unless, of course, either France or Canada hosts 2011 worlds, and they "trade" worlds with the Japanese.

I don't think they should cancel the event out right. Even if they decide to hold worlds during the summer or fall in another country, I think that would be better than cancelling when so many athletes have trained so hard for their moment in the spotlight. Perhaps a scaled down, low key version of worlds.
    Last edited by a56; 03-13-2011 at 05:34 PM.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by a56 View Post
    I don't think they should cancel the event out right. Even if they decide to hold worlds during the summer or fall in another country, I think that would be better than cancelling when so many athletes have trained so hard for their moment in the spotlight. Perhaps a scaled down, low key version of worlds.
    ITA - If it is postponed or moved, a lot of people won't get to go or work the event, but the most important thing is that the athletes compete, regardless of how much fanfare, hooplah or anything else there is. A "low-key" version would be appropriate.

vCash
    It seems that Japan might be an unsafe place to send elite skaters at this time. They can return to Japan in the future. Maybe find another place for this year and delay a month or so if possible.

vCash
    Well, here's a question - how many parents would want to send their skaters to a country with safety concerns? What Federation of any type would want to send athletes to a country so distressed? They don't have electricity 24 hours a day for everyone. I'm sure keeping a skating rink cold and the lights on is not a priority.

vCash
    I think it should be held somewhere else if it's only in an empty rink with the skaters and the judges,and it's only about the points not the audience. The points are important for placement next season.

vCash
    i just read on the isu website an article or whatever about japan and worlds and the way i took it was that either worlds was gonna be held in japan or not at all. did anyone else read this? and did i take it the wrong way or is that the way ya'll read it too?

i personally think they should move it to europe or on the east coast in the us

they shouldn't cancel it though!!! esp since this is meryl and charlies year! lol

vCash
    It's officially postponed!!

vCash
    http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/co...s-item,00.html Here's the ISU link on the postponement.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    It might not be a bad idea to shift the WC to the WTT time slot and move the WTT to later. I agree that Worlds should go on even if it's in an empty arena with just athletes/judges. It's true that we need the WC to determine slots for next year.

vCash
    Does anyone know what alternative sites (if any) are being considered?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234