View Poll Results: Do you think Worlds should go on as planned?

Voters
305. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it should go on as planned.

51 16.72%
  • I think it should still be held in Japan but delayed a month or so.

47 15.41%
  • I think it should be held in another country within the next month or so.

85 27.87%
  • I think it should be canceled for this year.

34 11.15%
  • I'm not sure, but I think the officials should wait at least 48 hours before making a decision.

84 27.54%
  • Other

4 1.31%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Should Worlds go on as planned?

What do you think the ISU should do? I think they should delay Worlds a few weeks and hold it in another country, and let Tokyo have the event again in the somewhat near future. Regardless, they do need to wait at least a couple of days before figuring out what to do.
    Last edited by neptune; 03-12-2011 at 04:50 AM.

vCash
    Well, I hope it's not cancelled.

If things actually are ok in Tokyo, I hope it proceeds as planned. As others have mentioned in the GSD thread, the money from it can be used to help the relief efforts.

If things aren't ok, I think they should either postpone it for a month or so or try to move it somewhere else. I think the first is probably the best option - less headache and financial loss, I think.

I just don't want it to be cancelled because there are some skaters who came back for a last shot at Worlds, like Sawyer and Bradley, and they'll miss their chance. I don't see why a solution can't be worked out.

That being said, the ISU should wait a few days to make an official announcement, which it seems like they are doing (although they were a bit hasty in making a tentative announcement today, they never said that was final and they said they would continue to monitor the situation).

vCash
    As long as it's safe, and there are no aftershocks or anything, I think it should go on as planned. Only if it's safe though.

vCash
    I agree that if it's safe and there are no major issues with travel I hope that things go on as planned. If for some reason it's not possible, I hope that they will move it to a new venue, in which case some delay would probably be necessary. They should make the decision as soon as they have enough information to do so and I have no idea when that would be. If they don't have enough info to be sure in the next few days then they should probably go ahead and plan on moving (or delaying) it so that the skaters and others involved have time to change their travel plans.
    Last edited by LuckyCharm; 03-12-2011 at 05:10 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tapper88 View Post
    As long as it's safe, and there are no aftershocks or anything, I think it should go on as planned. Only if it's safe though.
    The thing is, there's really no way to know that for sure. If Worlds were a month or so away, then it would be easier to assess the safety factors.

vCash
    I think it should be canceled. Japan is in total chaos. I think it is unfair to the Japanese skaters.........their lives, families, friends, training facilities have all been touched by this. They have to be losing training time.............as well they should. Some people can't even find their families. It is a horrid tragedy, and should be acknowledged as such. Even if Japanese travel, accommodations, and communications can be pulled together.....who can I still think it gives the Japanese skaters a disadvantage.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    I think it should be canceled. Japan is in total chaos. I think it is unfair to the Japanese skaters.........their lives, families, friends, training facilities have all been touched by this. They have to be losing training time.............as well they should. Some people can't even find their families. It is a horrid tragedy, and should be acknowledged as such. Even if Japanese travel, accommodations, and communications can be pulled together.....who can I still think it gives the Japanese skaters a disadvantage.
    Other sporting events have gone on, I'm sure, with one country at a disadvantage. Also, no one HAS to attend even if it goes on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    I think the disadvantage is to the skaters who have to fly in and aren't sure if they are able to in the next week. Not the skaters who already live there, at least they could still compete.

vCash
    I have the view that Worlds should be moved-date and location-wise. I don't think it's such a crazy thought.

Plan B, IMO, is to cancel the WTT next month and hold Worlds then. Also IMO, the very generous prize money the JSF has put on the line for WTT should go to the relief effort (and I doubt many skaters would disagree).

I think the most important thing in this case is Japan's safety. If it's not going to benefit the people of Japan, it's not worth having. If it's just going to create hassle, it's not worth having. If it's a welcome treat and a chance for everyone to relax, it's worth having.

Either way, though, I think the best thing is a new location and a new date.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    I have the view that Worlds should be moved-date and location-wise. I don't think it's such a crazy thought.

Plan B, IMO, is to cancel the WTT next month and hold Worlds then. Also IMO, the very generous prize money the JSF has put on the line for WTT should go to the relief effort (and I doubt many skaters would disagree).

I think the most important thing in this case is Japan's safety. If it's not going to benefit the people of Japan, it's not worth having. If it's just going to create hassle, it's not worth having. If it's a welcome treat and a chance for everyone to relax, it's worth having.

Either way, though, I think the best thing is a new location and a new date.
    That's a really good idea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post

Plan B, IMO, is to cancel the WTT next month and hold Worlds then.
    I agree with this opinion.

Also IMO, the very generous prize money the JSF has put on the line for WTT should go to the relief effort (and I doubt many skaters would disagree).
    I don't agree with this one. Shouldn't it be individual skaters' decision what to do with their hard earned prize money? Of course it would be wonderful for earthquake victims and the sport if skaters generously donate portion of their earnings.

vCash
    I think it's up to Japan to decide.

vCash
    Sigh.
    Last edited by Loves_Shizuka; 03-12-2011 at 12:24 PM.

vCash
    What about other sporting events?
    I think observing what others are doing could serve as a reference. What are they doing with their upcoming baseball, football, and golf tournament schedules?

vCash
    Of course it should go ahead. The worse thing to do when an act of god happens is to be paralysed by that event. Tokyo's infrastructure is fine, there is little damage and the risk of earthquakes is always there in Japan. Does that mean they should stop hosting events simply because there are risks?

If that is what happens then all events everywhere in the world should not be held because everywhere is a potential danger.

I can't speak for the Japanese but the 6.3 earthquake in Christchurch that my city experienced has paralysed this city to such an extent that life isn't returning back to normal. Instead of getting on with life the situation here is in my opinion paralysing this city where we're not living. Instead, by not returning to normality people are only getting more stressed out and more vulnerable.

vCash
    One of the towers in the nuclear plant north of Tokyo just exploded. The cloud of radiation could go as far as California, they say. I'm not sure that I am willing to travel to Tokyo now...to put my health in jeopardy, as much as I love figure skating.

Japn now has mandatory evacuations within 50 miles of the plant. The radius may be widened later today.

My heart and prayers to the people of Japan, suffering now a 'triple whammy' - earthquake, tsunami and radiation.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    I really disagree here. If skaters were making millions like hockey players, baseball players, I could totally see suggesting it become a charity event. But except for maybe a few skaters, many of these skaters could really use that money. The ISU is also threatening sanctions on skaters if they don't attend-these skaters deserve to get paid.

How would you feel if someone said they were going to make you give your paycheck to the relief effort? What if you were planning on using that paycheck to pay your own bills and you really couldn't afford to give that much money. And why just the skaters, why not everyone? Its not about not wanting to be generous, its about the fact that people do have other responsibilities.

If the Japanese federation wants to donate a portion of the proceeds that would be nice. Maybe they could do a charity gala. But no way should the skaters be forced to attend an event, an event that was suppose to give them a nice pay check, and not get paid.

Its not like there aren't going to be a ton of relief efforts for the victims.

vCash
    Japan probably has other things to do right now. And I don't think a month will change anything.
    I don't want it to be cancelled, of course. So, I guess it would be better to held it in another country.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    Sigh.
    Are sighing at the comments or plainly at the situation?

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    I think the champs should be postponed and possibly moved to another location near that part of the world. They shouldn't be cancelled - it's not fair to all the skaters who have trained the whole year for this moment to have to wait another year.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast