Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Well I certainly agree that this poor old horse has been beaten to death. AND I agree that Johnny and SOI are a bad match. Certainly at this late date anyway. My problem is just with those who keep saying he would not be cooperative and would try to make the show all about him. Where do they get this stuff? Johnny's "diva-ness" is all about being campy and funny. To compare him and Naomi Campbell, who is actually abusive to people, is really a stretch! He's friends with Plush, Stephane, Dai, Oda, Brian and most of the girls and the list goes on. To me it looks like the Europeans and the Asians think he's fine. It's only a cadre American males who have a wild hair somewhere about him.

vCash
    Johnny just wrote this message to his Japanese fans. I hope it's okay for me to copy it here. http://ameblo.jp/torgappa/

I am very sad that I have to write these words, but it is now a situation where I can't not write them. My heart and my tears are with Japan in this dark hour and I am constantly with you in spirit.

Since my first knowledge of Japan as a child, I have understood that Japan is a nation of strong, intelligent

and orderly people. Having traveled to Japan numerous times now as an adult, I can say that the impression I had of Japan as a child, still remains true. Japan has such a special ability to be the most inviting country in the world, but at the same time so strong as a nation in upholding national culture and tradition. Japan's ability to fight through any circumstance, and her peoples abilities to remain calm and quietly push against any foe to achieve a maximum result are things that I have been inspired by on so many occasions.

Through tragedy, Japan has been able to rise from the ashes like a phoenix, and prove to the world that she is great and powerful and can overcome any obstacle. I believe this historical statement still to be true, even in this time of uncertainty and in a time of apocalypse. I believe that the people of Japan will defeat this natural disaster, and will come out shining, as they always do.

I have never felt the same support and love from any nation, like I do in Japan. For all these years when Japan has rooted for me, lifted me up and given me wings, I have never understood how to say thank you or show you my appreciation, but now I hope this note can lift your spirits, and make you strong. I would never have become who I am without the support of your nation, and I support you full heartedly now.

I will do as much as I possibly can to help from my side of the planet, and I urge everyone in Japan to help your fellow countrymen and foreigners who are in Japan at this time. The world is with you, the world is behind you, and we believe in you.

I am thankful to God as we get word that many of my fans and friends have made it out of this tragedy as survivors, but my heart sinks with every day we don't hear from someone or bad news comes our way.
    Be strong, angels will protect you. "This too shall pass."

Japan I love you, I miss you and I will be with you very soon.

I pray for you every day and I believe in you.

Ganbatte!!!!!

-Johnny

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by REO View Post
    Well I certainly agree that this poor old horse has been beaten to death. AND I agree that Johnny and SOI are a bad match. Certainly at this late date anyway. My problem is just with those who keep saying he would not be cooperative and would try to make the show all about him. Where do they get this stuff? Johnny's "diva-ness" is all about being campy and funny. To compare him and Naomi Campbell, who is actually abusive to people, is really a stretch! He's friends with Plush, Stephane, Dai, Oda, Brian and most of the girls and the list goes on. To me it looks like the Europeans and the Asians think he's fine. It's only a cadre American males who have a wild hair somewhere about him.
    I never said he would be uncooperative and I never said he would try to make the show all about him. I simply said when considering him for being an employee I would hire anyone but him. He's been very public about his dislike of authority and his rebelious nature....that is not someone worth hiring to my mind.

I used Naomi Campbell as an example of someone who seems to nurture her own diva-press and embraces it (a lot like Johnny), but also as an example of someone who has to do her job so much better than her competitors that people still hire her despite the percevied problems, something Johnny, unfortunately for him, has not managed to do in figure skating, but may well manage in other areas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    I never said he would be uncooperative and I never said he would try to make the show all about him. I simply said when considering him for being an employee I would hire anyone but him. He's been very public about his dislike of authority and his rebelious nature....that is not someone worth hiring to my mind. I used Naomi Campbell as an example of someone who seems to nurture her own diva-press and embraces it (a lot like Johnny), but also as an example of someone who has to do her job so much better than her competitors that people still hire her despite the percevied problems, something Johnny, unfortunately for him, has not managed to do in figure skating, but may well manage in other areas.

Can you please give a few examples of how Johnny embraces diva-ness? Liking fashion really isn't a valid example. Where Johnny does rebel, he seems to have good reason, and I've never heard of him rebelling on a tour. It's usually against FSU rules about clothing, is it not? Is that such a huge deal?

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Justathoughtabl View Post
    Can you please give a few examples of how Johnny embraces diva-ness? Liking fashion really isn't a valid example. Where Johnny does rebel, he seems to have good reason, and I've never heard of him rebelling on a tour. It's usually against FSU rules about clothing, is it not? Is that such a huge deal?
    How about his own stories about the Olympic Village in Vancouver and hotels? IIRC he didn't have very good things to say about Lake Placid, which of course is practically the hometown of SOI.

vCash
    I don't know who you're referring to here, but as for me, the only reason i brought up Evan was because I don't understand why Johnny seems to be so picked on all the time when other skaters do questionable things (like Evan and Twittergate). I know a little bit about Evan and he's pretty well loved here, and I don't understand why Johnny doesn't get any of that love (aside from a few posters) when both of them (and probably many more skaters) are far from being saints. Johnny is always pulled out as being the trouble maker, the drama queen, the one who is not a team player. But he's just like all the others. He has his good and bad qualities. The constant bashing of Johnny gets old too.
    How long have you been on here? Evan was pretty well hated from about 2005-2008. For years Evan couldn't do or say anything right; meanwhile everything Johnny said was "honest!" and "refreshing!" You should have been reading the forum after Evan won his first National title in 2007 - Johnny's angels in particular were spitting blood. After Evan won the World title in 2009 a lot of the haters started to shut up (grudging respect?), and his supporters started becoming more vocal. Then I think Evan won over some more people by beating Plush at the Olympics and acquitting himself well on DWTS. But it absolutely was not always this way.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    How long have you been on here? Evan was pretty well hated from about 2005-2008. For years Evan couldn't do or say anything right; meanwhile everything Johnny said was "honest!" and "refreshing!" You should have been reading the forum after Evan won his first National title in 2007 - Johnny's angels in particular were spitting blood. After Evan won the World title in 2009 a lot of the haters started to shut up (grudging respect?), and his supporters started becoming more vocal. Then I think Evan won over some more people by beating Plush at the Olympics and acquitting himself well on DWTS. But it absolutely was not always this way.
    I don't think the Evan hate started until 2007 when he started to talk about all the sparkles and sequins he disapproved of and that he was going to push the sport by doing the quad no matter what. Of course, then he should up to LA and Vancouver quadless and dressed in Vera Wang. Being a hypocrite is the kiss of death in the public eye.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    How about his own stories about the Olympic Village in Vancouver and hotels? IIRC he didn't have very good things to say about Lake Placid, which of course is practically the hometown of SOI.
    Are there not places in the world that you don't like? Does that make you a diva? Honestly, if I were competing in the Olympics, I'd probably rather stay in a hotel too. More pleasant, more private.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    I don't think the Evan hate started until 2007 when he started to talk about all the sparkles and sequins he disapproved of and that he was going to push the sport by doing the quad no matter what. Of course, then he should up to LA and Vancouver quadless and dressed in Vera Wang.
    What was wrong with wearing a costume from Very Wang? There are women who design men clothing lines out there. Besides, it wasn't like Evan was wearing one of her evening gown or wedding dress creation out on the ice.

vCash
    I ahven't been on here for very long, and I guess my assumption was wrong. I saw the Evan thread on here that's very positive, while even a posting of Johnny's message to Japan didn't get a response. All I can conclude from what you say is that people praise the winners and are disdainful of the people who don't win as much.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Are there not places in the world that you don't like? Does that make you a diva? Honestly, if I were competing in the Olympics, I'd probably rather stay in a hotel too. More pleasant, more private.
    Of course, but do I rant about it in public in a tone that suggests I'm accustomed to the finer things in life? Do I go into other peoples' rooms and take their bedding because I like it better?

From what I can see, Johnny actually cultivates the diva image; it's not always a negative thing.

vCash
    I didn't read this forum back in the day but I'm suprised to hear Evan was disliked as far back as '05! I'm a Johnny uber but even I think Evan deserved the title in '07! I could see people being freaked about '08. That was a rather questionable affair. I think most Johnny fans got on Evan's case after he won the '07 title because then he used it as a chance to ever so subtly and sometimes blatantly put Johnny down with all that masculinity XGames crapola. That would have brought me out of the woodwork. It just seemed so phony baloney. I think Evan deserved all his titles except 1. Thank heaven DWTS isn't run by the USFS though or Scherzinger would have been toast. lol

vCash
    Johnny just wrote this message to his Japanese fans.
    Wonderful sentiments; beautifully expressed,
    Another reason to respect and admire Johnny.

vCash
    Of course, but do I rant about it in public in a tone that suggests I'm accustomed to the finer things in life? Do I go into other peoples' rooms and take their bedding because I like it better?
    From what I can see, Johnny actually cultivates the diva image; it's not always a negative thing.
    I think we're each putting our own interpretation on his words. I once stayed in a youth hostel that I referred to as "the roach motel." I'm sure I've stayed at places that I call the "Bates Motel." I see humor in what Johnny says. People put him up in a hotel in Greenwich Village and that just wouldn't do for him. Okay, fine. I guess I didn't think it was a big deal. And because he tells us about these episodes, he opens himself to criticism. As for "taking people's bedding," I didn't read it that way. I interpreted it as going into a supply closet and taking stuff out of there.

I just got out the book. Here's what he wrote:
    "Because I spend so much of my time on the road, there's nothing I hate more than checking into a hotel room and having it feel very foreign. [I know lots of people who feel this way.] I need my home base to have a security-blanket feel in order to withstand the harsh realities of training and competiting. This monastic chamber [room at the Olympic Village in 2006] as it stood would not do as my lodging for the next few weeks.

I walked over to Priscilla's room to check out her living space, but when I arrived she was nowhere to be found. The building was empty since the women's skating team didn't arrive for another week and a half. So I started poking around and a lightbulb went off in my head. I grabbed a bunch of fleece blankets, two lamps, a bedside table, and a few extra towels for good measure. Laden down with my loot, I shimmied across the Olympic Village and into the curling quarters [where he was staying]." Then it says he felt at home and includes a photo of the room, which looks like a dorm room.

Now, where does it say he took those things from people's rooms? I'll agree that he likes nice things. I'll agree that he's very particular. But I think being a diva means being a jerk about it. And I never get that sense from him. He just decides what he wants and takes care of it. A measure of a person is how they treat others, and he seems to treat others very well.

vCash
    Absolutely. He milks it for all it's worth. It's mostly a facade though. He's very down to earth in reality - love of luxury items notwithstanding. (Real reality not the tv show. lol)

vCash
    Now, where does it say he took those things from people's rooms? I'll agree that he likes nice things. I'll agree that he's very particular. But I think being a diva means being a jerk about it. And I never get that sense from him. He just decides what he wants and takes care of it. A measure of a person is how they treat others, and he seems to treat others very well.
    I wonder if the people who arrived a week and a half later, and might have found their rooms or their supply closets missing items *they* might have needed in their rooms to "have a security-blanket feel in order to withstand the harsh realities of training and competing", would feel that he "seems to treat others very well".

If there were items he wanted in his room that weren't there, he could have, you know, asked. I know from people who volunteered at the Olympics that there were staff in the athlete dorms 24/7 to help the athletes with whatever they might want.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    . . . . So I started poking around and a lightbulb went off in my head. I grabbed a bunch of fleece blankets, two lamps, a bedside table, and a few extra towels for good measure. Laden down with my loot, I shimmied across the Olympic Village and into the curling quarters [where he was staying]." Then it says he felt at home and includes a photo of the room, which looks like a dorm room.

Now, where does it say he took those things from people's rooms?
    Ummm, did you not read the quote you just quoted?
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Yes, like how nicely he treated the skater tht the USFS stuck into his room. He discusses how he stuffed the skater's belongings back into his bags and threw the guy out of the room right after the guy walked out of the shower. There were also the Diva complaints about thee room he was given when he was skating in the show in Sun Valley.

vCash
    [QUOTE=mmscfdcsu;3114431]Yes, like how nicely he treated the skater tht the USFS stuck into his room. He discusses how he stuffed the skater's belongings back into his bags and threw the guy out of the room right after the guy walked out of the shower. QUOTE]

The federation was not paying for that room, Johnny paid for it himself because he wanted a private room. The federation had no right to put someone else in that room without checking with Johnny first. Maybe if they had checked with him, his reaction would had been differenct when he returned to the room and found someone else's stuff all over his bed.

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    [QUOTE=judiz;3114465]
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    Yes, like how nicely he treated the skater tht the USFS stuck into his room. He discusses how he stuffed the skater's belongings back into his bags and threw the guy out of the room right after the guy walked out of the shower. QUOTE]

The federation was not paying for that room, Johnny paid for it himself because he wanted a private room. The federation had no right to put someone else in that room without checking with Johnny first. Maybe if they had checked with him, his reaction would had been differenct when he returned to the room and found someone else's stuff all over his bed.
    Maybe he still could been civil to the other skater instead of stuffing his stuff in bags while the guy was dripping wet. He could have said something along the line of "sorry for the mixup. Have a seat while I make a few calls and get this straightened out"

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast