Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast

vCash
    Johnny answers the question "How do you pick your music?" in his 6/17 blog entry for TeamUSA.org: http://www.teamusa.org/Team-USA-Wint...e-Beat-Goes-On
    Excerpt:
    Music selection has always been, like every other aspect of my life, mine and mine alone. I don’t take requests like a wedding singer; I don’t settle for something I half-like; and I don’t believe a person can give a performance that touches the audience without understanding and loving their music. While I have listened to suggestions from my coaches and choreographers over the years, and sometimes looking back, should have taken their suggestions, I believe in searching for that goosebump piece and making it work.
    Videos and photos from the "Ice Dreams" show in Oakland, CA are posted in the event thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3933790

Ditto for the 4 "Artistry on Ice" shows in Taiwan and China: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3934853
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-18-2013 at 12:33 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I loved Johnny's answer, I could never understand elite level skaters who when asked how they chose their music would answer that the choreographer sent over three choices and they picked one. Music should be a personal choice which would allow the skater to interpret the music and express their feelings, not showcase what was the choreographer's favorite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    I loved Johnny's answer, I could never understand elite level skaters who when asked how they chose their music would answer that the choreographer sent over three choices and they picked one. Music should be a personal choice which would allow the skater to interpret the music and express their feelings, not showcase what was the choreographer's favorite.
    Depends a lot on how the skater (assuming they are at elite level) has been bought up. Many skaters aren't taught to think, they just do. Johnny is very unique (thank goodness) and I would imagine be in the minority of competitive skaters who totally have 100% say in their own music. Obviously the skater has to like the choice of music, but much can be done (if the athlete is the right one) to choose something musically that they may not have chosen for themselves.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    ^^ Yes, ITA. Some skaters may not be very musically inclined, but yet may begin to develop a better feel for what music works for them and inspires them. Similarly, some skaters do not have natural ability to express and interpret the music, but perhaps can begin to develop in that area through working with a coach and a choreographer who help them grow with their music choices and choreographic challenges.

vCash
    Johnny Weir-Voronov ‏@JohnnyGWeir 8h
    What a glorious day! #DOMA struck down by Supreme Court as unconstitutional! A huge thank you to all those who fought for us & supported us.

vCash

Quadless
    vCash
    Can't wait to see what he comes up with for Hanyu.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash

Quadless
    vCash
    Very eloquent blog - well done, Johnny!
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Is he still planning on competing this season? Haven't heard anything regarding that lately...

vCash
    One thing that confused me about Johnny's blog: will Russia no longer grant visas to gay people? Or is it just he doesn't feel safe traveling there anymore?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    One thing that confused me about Johnny's blog: will Russia no longer grant visas to gay people? Or is it just he doesn't feel safe traveling there anymore?
    I never filled out a visa application but Johnny had said at the time of the grand prix that he put down that he is married to a man on his so I guess he's assuming his visa application may be denied based on his marital status.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazactaz View Post
    Is he still planning on competing this season? Haven't heard anything regarding that lately...
    According to his twitter he is at the rink everyday practicing but no official confirmation yet.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    There is always a smart backup option. If he can't get into US Olympic team, boycott the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I believe it's the latter.
    Last edited by Eyre; 07-20-2013 at 07:37 AM.

vCash
    To be honest even if Johnny is trying to make the Olympic team this year i don't think he has to worry about getting into Russia.

vCash
    This rink isn't new, it has been there for quite some time. I've skated on it myself, although when I was there it was somewhat more crowded than it is for Johnny in this video
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash

Thumbs up

Here's the official Tourisme Montreal blog
    http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/blo...e-in-montreal/

I love the idea of the video, Johnny alone on the ice, no music... and the "behind the scenes" video is cute too, Johnny still can speak a couple more words in French than I do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Can't wait to see what he comes up with for Hanyu.
    Johnny tweeted:

Just finished a design marathon for Yuzuru Hanyu and Elena Glebova. They WILL be best dressed for their competitions!
    https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir

vCash
    Johnny’s World: The Gaylympics:
    Part 1: http://fcnp.com/2013/07/25/johnnys-w...he-gaylympics/
    Part 2: http://fcnp.com/2013/08/01/johnnys-w...ympics-part-2/
    Part 3: http://fcnp.com/2013/08/08/johnnys-w...ympics-part-3/

Al Jazeera's Kristen Saloomey reports from New Jersey and interviews Johnny at the Hackensack, NJ rink (2-minute news video): http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe...239817767.html

Johnny's next major public skating performance will be in the Sun Valley (Idaho) Ice Show on Saturday, August 31, 2013.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-08-2013 at 08:32 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast