Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    There's a thread on FSU discussing Yasmin Siraj and her love of music and skating -- she excels at playing the piano. Armin M also plays the piano. I think a knowledge and love of music is very helpful to skaters.
    Had to post this for giggles, since you mentioned piano: http://youtu.be/xse9qBQM9B8 Johnny playing the piano for his Japanese fans back in December

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Johnny mentioned something about not only loving skating but also the individuality of it, although he missed his pony when he gave up riding. I believe he was 12 when he had to make the choice.
    One thing I really admire about him is that Johnny started skating pretty late, so I guess it's real proof of his talent. In Russia kids usually start skating at age 4 or 5, starting at age 6 is almost to late.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkFeathers View Post
    Had to post this for giggles, since you mentioned piano: http://youtu.be/xse9qBQM9B8 Johnny playing the piano for his Japanese fans back in December
    Awww, thank you for the clip PinkFeathers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Johnny is set to become the first skater in a same sex marriage to compete in a figure skating competition.
    Does that mean we are going to see a subtitle reading 'Johnny Weir-Voronov USA' when watching 2013 worlds?
    ...well but he's got many things to do before that, before returning to major events. There are always conservative judges, but even the least conservative judge can't save him in Nationals for a world spot if he can't bring the quad in competitive programs or still do elements without enough transitions to link them. Not to mention his speed.I truly admire his skating and his will to return, tho.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EauDMerveilles View Post
    Does that mean we are going to see a subtitle reading 'Johnny Weir-Voronov USA' when watching 2013 worlds?
    That is his name. Why wouldn't he be identified by his legal name?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    I think that they will identify him based on whatever he writes down on his form. Lots of skaters like Kimberly Meissner and Alexandra Cohen put down slightly different variations of their names.

Quadless
    vCash
    When Johnny announced his name change he said he would continue to use 'Johnny Weir' professionally. How that plays out remains to be seen.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Why is it an issue, in any case?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Why is it an issue, in any case?

I'm wondering about that as well, there is actually nothing I could care less, as long as Johnny comes back and next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    Some do and some don't.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Johnny was doing physical exams today, and mentioned he's getting new skates tomorrow

A newspaper for the country he went to on holiday last week posted a short write up: http://aruba-daily.com/newspaper/?p=17414 He and Victor look rested and happy.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EauDMerveilles View Post
    When I read this I keep imagining what Johnny Weir - Gilloolly would look like.

vCash
    Johnny was doing physical exams today, and mentioned he's getting new skates tomorrow

A newspaper for the country he went to on holiday last week posted a short write up: http://aruba-daily.com/newspaper/?p=17414 He and Victor look rested and happy.
    He picked a great resort, DH and I stayed there in 2010. A little further down the beach, quieter atmosphere. Good choice, Johnny!
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash

Thank you, PinkFeathers! I am loving all the Johnny news and links. Please keep them coming!

I was just watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM-wpXuP90E

No one can move like him!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bournekraatzfan View Post
    I was just watching this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM-wpXuP90E
    No one can move like him!
    That oozes SEEEEEXXX! Look at those shiny leather tights. (Sorry Plushenko, Johnny's Sexy and I Know It beats Sex Bomb).

vCash
    PinkFeathers & Bournekraatzfan thank you for posting the news and links. I wish Johnny good luck for breaking in his new boots - it can be tricky, but I hope it goes smooth and easy for him.

vCash
    Does anyone know when Johnny's show is coming out? I thought he was supposed to have a new season coming up around this time on logo tv.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    Does anyone know when Johnny's show is coming out? I thought he was supposed to have a new season coming up around this time on logo tv.
    You know, nobody has any idea. Logo keeps saying that they'll let us know as soon as a date is set, but they've been saying that forever. I know Johnny & co had a wrap party for the second season, but whether or not we actually see it... No idea

I guess they could be waiting to see if Johnny does indeed come back, and piggyback it with that, but who really knows?

vCash
    It would make sence to release if when/if Johnny returns to televised competition.

vCash
    Have been noticing Johnny references, including disses, snide comments, and some respect as well in quite a few FSU threads recently. I guess that makes Johnny another veritable Michelle Kwan, eh?

Here's a link to a GSD thread some may have missed, which indirectly and directly references Johnny in relation to figure skating, per a new book by Erica Rand:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83370

Erica Rand is an adult skater who is also a university professor. She has competed at Adult Nationals and at The Gay Games, and has also recently had a book published about figure skating: Red Nails, Black Skates: Gender, Cash and Pleasure On and Off the Ice. She was interviewed by her hometown newspaper, as Sylvia posted in the linked GSD thread. In the Q&A, there were interesting references to Johnny:

Quote Originally Posted by Erica Rand interview
    ...Q: Let's talk about those "unwritten rules of music, dress and gender presentation" as you put it in the book. What happens when people try to break out of the norm, as you did with your Pink Floyd outfit?

A: It's hard to pinpoint. If you look at competitions, one reason you can tell there are these standards is that people usually conform to them. It's hard to tell exactly how you're being penalized because other things come into play. With me, what comes into play is I don't do that well in competition, so it's hard for me to say if I wasn't wearing a skirt with chains on it I would have placed higher.

But I think there's a general understanding that if you don't conform to those rules, you're probably punished for them. And a really good example of that is skater Johnny Weir. I think he is the perfect example, because he is a superb skater. He can do all those things that other people can't, and yet there are all these different ways that he has been punished over the years for not conforming.

Q: What are the guys' standards?

A: I think male skaters are supposed to avoid looking feminine.

Q: Is that because they don't want to be viewed through a stereotype?

A: Well, I think partly it's a sport where people assume that a lot of people are gay, but nobody really is, visibly. Nobody is out, in a way, except Johnny Weir and one Canadian skater there was a palimony suit against 20 years ago. I think there's this anti-feminine prejudice out there in the world in a lot of different contexts. I think men are just not supposed to be what is perceived as feminine, and skating, the whole sport is perceived as feminine.

So I think males are asked to avoid certain kinds of behaviors or movements that would look feminine. I think it's partly anti-gay prejudice, but I think it's also anti-feminine...

vCash
    I guess Urmanov never having much success is further confirmation, eys?

When Weir skated well, he got great marks.

Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast