Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post

Your ability to "figure" things out is not only off-base, it's nowhere even close to the ballpark. It's outright WRONG. In case you're irretrievably obtuse, here's a little hint: There are many, many members here who read threads actively, but don't post in them. It's called lurking - maybe you've heard of the term?

You come across like some bitter, angry Weir apologist who feels that unless a person actively engages in fangirly/fanboiye behavior or treats Weir like he shits chocolate and roses, said person is not allowed to snark on a ridiculous outfit and hair-don't.
    And you guys come across like bullies (toward me, not Weir) who take the lowest road possible. That is, you engage in personal attacks when you don't agree with someone else's opinion. So here you are insulting my intelligence by suggesting that I might be "irretrievably obtuse." Unless I resort to "clever" insults, you will conclude that I'm not as bright or quick as you are.

Here's a news flash. I know very well that Johnny Weir has flaws. But I have also observed that there is an imbalance of negativity toward him. It's why I responded in to posts about, of all things, his hairstyle, which I didn't even like either. It was like, "Okay, here we go again." But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's just that the overall tone of this board, and it's not just toward Johnny Weir.

And I'm not sure whether I'm the one lacking humor. I think a lot of what he says is with a wink and a smile, but it's not always clear that people who are responding to him understand that. I actually find people's responses to Johnny fascinating (and frustrating). Of course he's not perfect (nowhere near), but he's not the obnoxious diva people seem to think he is, either. The response to his book was very simplistic, from people who hadn't even read it yet. What was that? It would be interesting to talk about that--- people's views of Johnny Weir and where they come from. But I'm not sure any of us has the patience to do that on this board.

I can totally see how a lot of you might be fans of Weir, though he never seems to come up in threads about favorite skaters, and I haven't seen much praise about his skating. Not that he has to be everyone's favorite, but he just doesn't seem to get the praise that other top skaters get. You're right, though-- I haven't been reading this board very long.

I do know that Johnny Weir does not need me to defend him.

Take your own advice and relax. I'm going to stop responding to these posts with irritation or anger, and I hope you do the same.

Okay, go ahead and flame me.

vCash
    Back to news about Johnny Weir:

He has announced that he won't be competing in the upcoming season.

I don't think this is surprising, given all of his outside projects. I had my doubts about whether he could come back, since he hasn't been able to do a quad consistently.

He hasn't closed the door on competing in the future. I think he might be having trouble walking away, like so many other athletes. Whatever he decides, I hope he continues to skate in shows for years to come.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Justathoughtabl View Post
    Back to news about Johnny Weir:

He has announced that he won't be competing in the upcoming season.
    Link to "A Note to My Fans" (June 14, 2011): http://www.figureskatersonline.com/j...te-to-my-fans/

vCash
    He sounds serious about coming back but I wonder if he'll be able to. I would think it would be awfully hard to give up all the outside projects and opportunities to go back into his cocoon. $$$ I'd love to see him compete but I'm not sure it's the right decision in view of the rest of his life.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Oh good. Now that he's not going to compete he'll have time to go wrestle with the DMV and get Jersey plates on that shitwagon of his. I bet he doesn't have a Jersey driver's license, either. Cheap bastard.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    LOL This is the second time you posted about this. Did he almost kill you? He admits he's a lousy driver.

vCash
    It's a sore subject with NJ residents: many people live in NJ, but register their cars out of state so they pay lower insurance rates. That means those who do register in state pay even higher rates because there are fewer vehicles in the pool. If they're high risk, they'd be contributing even more, but they're not.

After all this time of living in NJ, he should 'fess up and visit the DMV to get a license and registration. Then again, so should all the people who cruise the Parkway and Turnpike daily with North Carolina and Georgia plates. (Many of whom drive through the tunnels into NYC, making it a three-way split!)

However, if he is a bad driver, it's just as well he's not in the NJ resident pool.
    If he gets tickets/has accidents frequently, they're being attributed to whereever the car is registered.

I did like the original post - very witty and sarcastic.
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 06-14-2011 at 10:38 PM.

vCash
    Good Johnny Weir interview, conducted when Johnny skated in Ice Dreams in April.

http://www.showbizdeluxe.com/johnnyweirinterview.htm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Justathoughtabl View Post
    Good Johnny Weir interview, conducted when Johnny skated in Ice Dreams in April.

http://www.showbizdeluxe.com/johnnyweirinterview.htm
    Hmm, when did Johnny become a "seasoned Olympic Medalist?"

vCash
    I said way back after Vancouver that since Johnny was the most prominent in the public eye that in a couple years people who were not avid skating fans would think he won. I guess it didn't even take a few years. LOL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by REO View Post
    I said way back after Vancouver that since Johnny was the most prominent in the public eye that in a couple years people who were not avid skating fans would think he won. I guess it didn't even take a few years. LOL
    I notice, though, that he didn't seem to correct the interviewer who called him a "seasoned Olympic medalist".
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I notice, though, that he didn't seem to correct the interviewer who called him a "seasoned Olympic medalist".
    That wouldn't be the first time, but maybe that's his idea of being polite.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    That wouldn't be the first time, but maybe that's his idea of being polite.
    To me, that says more about the interviewer. He didn't do his homework.

vCash
    He probably didn't even notice it. What is a "seasoned medalist"? Well maybe Plushy. lol Just a misspeak by the interviewer. They should have corrected it before they printed it though.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    In fairness to Johnny, it's possible that the questions that were asked verbally were different than what was eventually written down. It's also possible that an editor rephrased the questions too.

The line that had me was:

I think overall the book was great and I got to reveal a lot of things about myself that people wouldn’t necessarily really care about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Weir doesn't handle interviews well at all. His alleged publicist should have addressed that weakness a long time ago. Most nervous people won't correct someone who addresses them by the wrong title simply because they're not listening.

Not making excuses for him, just pointing out the truth. I once had the mom of a student call me "professor" in passing. I didn't comment on it because we were talking about the damage her daughter caused to my car in an accident. She flipped out later when she found out I was "just" an adjunct. Like that invalidated the damage to the car's front end. Schmuck.

Titles really are meaningless. If it bothers you, ask the publisher to print a retraction.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    Titles really are meaningless. If it bothers you, ask the publisher to print a retraction.
    And don't forget this little boo boo too!

http://www.showbizdeluxe.com/about.htm

Anyway, I just did a little checking and it appears this is little more than a fan blog by a guy who also has a similar one called Country Stars Central. It's legit, but certainly not of journalistic quality, and there's no evidence of reach at all. If we are questioning publicists, I have to wonder whatever happened to the concept of vetting interview requests.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post

http://www.showbizdeluxe.com/about.htm
    Anyway, I just did a little checking and it appears this is little more than a fan blog by a guy who also has a similar one called Country Stars Central. It's legit, but certainly not of journalistic quality, and there's no evidence of reach at all. If we are questioning publicists, I have to wonder whatever happened to the concept of vetting interview requests.
    I still think that overall, the interview was no worse than one that might appear in a newspaper, though that says something about newspaper quality. Anyway, here are the interviews this blogger has snagged. Not A-List (except maybe Carol Channing--Costner is not exactly big-time anymore), but subjects include one Evan Lysacek.

Carol Channing Interview

Diana DeGarmo Interview

Evan Lysacek Interview

Johnny Weir Interview

Kevin Costner Interview

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    If we are questioning publicists, I have to wonder whatever happened to the concept of vetting interview requests.
    Which goes back to his publicist, imo. Either he's too headstrong and "out there" to listen to her or she's not effective as a manager/publicist. I cringe whenever I see that Johnny's done an interview or been quoted. I know he doesn't know what to do or say and she doesn't act as a guide or buffer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    Which goes back to his publicist, imo. Either he's too headstrong and "out there" to listen to her or she's not effective as a manager/publicist. I cringe whenever I see that Johnny's done an interview or been quoted. I know he doesn't know what to do or say and she doesn't act as a guide or buffer.
    Wait, what?
    I think Johnny is one of the better interview subjects out there, at least in terms of athletes. So many of them give canned answers. It's the provocative ones-- the Charles Barkleys and Muhammad Alis--that are remembered. Johnny's quite articulate and funny as well.

Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast