Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 621 to 640 of 728
  1. #621
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,036
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    30931
    I will say that while I adore Johnny's skating and this is his first foray into the season, I am somewhat discouraged. I know, I know. It's still very early on and he will build on this.

    However, a few things. While his trademark fluidity of movement above the blade is still present, it's present only some of the time. He is noticeably stiffer and less stretched out--his line suffers (it's still very good but not as good as before). I also find the fluidity of the blade itself not quite as "liquidy" as before. This will hopefully improve.

    I love the FS music while it's Chopin but when it switches to that techno melodramatic Russian warhorse (did Irina skate to this or was it Leonova or both?) It makes me and .

    The shaky jumps are self-evident and will likely improve. I hope to be able to form a better impression as the season progresses.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  2. #622

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,151
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3549
    I'm hoping the problems Johnny had at Finlandia were due to the problems with his new boots, how long does it usually take for a skater to fully break in a new pair of boots?

  3. #623
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,285
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^^ Yes, could be he's having a few problems adjusting to the new boots. I don't feel Johnny has lost any of his smoothness and artistry, but his body has matured so he does look different from the former 19 - 24 yr old Swan/ Fallen Angel. It has surely not been easy for Johnny to get back into fighting shape, so kudos to him! He is still in his twenties, and like he says, he still has a comparatively "young" skaters' body due to having not started skating until the age of 12.

    As far as any stiffness, I think that may be more apparent as he goes into and comes out of jumps, and some of that along with the apparent "lack of fluidity" of the blade IceAlisa mentioned, IMO may be more related to his "tampered with" jump technique which I feel began to suffer/ show up during 2008 - 2009 season, under Galina's tutelage. Johnny is nothing if not loyal tho' to the people he loves.

    Hopefully, as Johnny adjusts to the new boots and continues to train, he will regain "blade fluidity." Sure it is a contrast to look back at how effortless and easy his jumps looked circa 2004 - 2007, but again, time passes and his gifts are still wonderful, and I appreciate the hard work and effort he's putting into his comeback.

  4. #624

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    in Yuna bubble everafter
    Posts
    4,891
    vCash
    465
    Rep Power
    41144
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    I'm hoping the problems Johnny had at Finlandia were due to the problems with his new boots, how long does it usually take for a skater to fully break in a new pair of boots?
    It varies depending on each skater. Some needs more than two-three weeks, and for some a week would be enough.

    I believe Johnny would have no problem getting back on his feet. That SP in FT was just breath-taking!

  5. #625

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,148
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    29730
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    However, a few things. While his trademark fluidity of movement above the blade is still present, it's present only some of the time. He is noticeably stiffer and less stretched out--his line suffers (it's still very good but not as good as before). I also find the fluidity of the blade itself not quite as "liquidy" as before. This will hopefully improve.
    I've rewatched the programmes a bit over the weekend and I know what you mean. I think i'm putting it down to it being really early in the season and him getting back into competition and being nervous. It's hard to tell off the you-tube vids but he didn't seem to be as fast as he was, but again, conditioning etc will improve as the season develops.

    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I love the FS music while it's Chopin but when it switches to that techno melodramatic Russian warhorse (did Irina skate to this or was it Leonova or both?) It makes me and .
    I think you mean when it gets to Requiem For A Dream. Leonova skated to it in the second half of her LP last year. It is my guilty pleasure - I love that music and don't care how many skaters skate to it, I love hearing it and love Leonova's programmes last year

  6. #626

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,151
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3549
    I think we need to see how Johnny does in his next competition before his comeback is written off as unsuccessful. I think everyone would agree it's not fair to judge by one competition.

  7. #627

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,151
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3549

  8. #628
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Socialist Canada
    Posts
    4,836
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Chicken fingers and Chablis... It's nice to see him back.

  9. #629

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,414
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    38295
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Insightful, thanks.
    I wish Johnny the very best, as his comeback continues.

  10. #630
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,285
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yay, Johnny!

    I've always loved the way Johnny tells it like it is:

    ...I had defeated myself in this war of sport versus freedom. I conquered my fears ... if you believe in yourself and surround yourself with love, you can do anything.

    I'm back.

    Another revealing quote is found in the rearin'/ rarin' article from goldenskate.com:

    ...I'm not Zhenia Plushenko ... I don't fight the same way he does. I have a different soul, a different energy. Of course, I admire what he has done, but for me, I knew it was going to be a slow process.

    I just wanted to get out there again and show everyone that I am still skating, and that it is not smoke and mirrors... I'm actually ready to compete, and I don't care what anyone is saying about my performances and the jumps I landed or didn't land ... I did what I promised to do, and that was to come back for my fans.

  11. #631
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    881
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Loved Johnny's K&C from the FS! He looked so happy and energized. Really happy for him. Looking forward to him doing even better later in the season!

  12. #632
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,036
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    30931
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    I've rewatched the programmes a bit over the weekend and I know what you mean. I think i'm putting it down to it being really early in the season and him getting back into competition and being nervous. It's hard to tell off the you-tube vids but he didn't seem to be as fast as he was, but again, conditioning etc will improve as the season develops.
    Yes, I am panicking way too early. I would love to see you proven right!

    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    I
    I think you mean when it gets to Requiem For A Dream. Leonova skated to it in the second half of her LP last year. It is my guilty pleasure - I love that music and don't care how many skaters skate to it, I love hearing it and love Leonova's programmes last year
    Clearly, I have blocked the name out. Not a fan of Leonova.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  13. #633

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    911
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    660
    Good for Johnny! Perhaps marriage has put him a better place. He seems happy and willing to put in the hard work. I wish him well .

  14. #634
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,285
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Speaking of chicken fingers and Chablis, Johnny Weir is going to be one of the contestants on Rachael Ray and Guy Fieri's new season of Celebrity Cook-off, airing in January 2013. The shows were taped in June 2012.

    http://www.thedailymeal.com/gilbert-...vs-guy-cookoff

  15. #635

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,457
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    39533
    After Weir's unfortunate injury withdrawal from Rostelecom Cup after the SP in Moscow, he was supposed to tape a show about his life and family for a Russian TV channel the following week. He wrote about the upsetting things that subsequently happened to him in his Falls Church (VA) News-Press column (started in mid-October) on Nov. 16: Johnny's World: A Russian Tale, Volume 1
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-19-2012 at 02:36 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  16. #636
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Entitiled
    Posts
    5,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Speaking of chicken fingers and Chablis, Johnny Weir is going to be one of the contestants on Rachael Ray and Guy Fieri's new season of Celebrity Cook-off, airing in January 2013. The shows were taped in June 2012.

    http://www.thedailymeal.com/gilbert-...vs-guy-cookoff
    Thanks for the info. Looking forward to watching it.

  17. #637

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,148
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    29730
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    After Weir's unfortunate injury withdrawal from Rostelecom Cup after the SP in Moscow, he was supposed to tape a show about his life and family for a Russian TV channel the following week. He wrote about the upsetting things that subsequently happened to him in his Falls Church (VA) News-Press column (started in mid-October) on Nov. 16: Johnny's World: A Russian Tale, Volume 1
    Wow that is just unbelievable. I did wonder how making such a programme might go down when you think about the laws that have been passed in St Petersburg banning any kind of promotion of gay rights/lifestyle. I don't know if Mosocow passed equivalent laws, but isn't Madonna currently involved in legal action for "promoting homosecuality" by giving out pink wrist bands to the audience and encouraging them to to bve waved in the air to shows support for gay rights. Seems Russia is not a good place to try to do good for gay rights at the moment.

  18. #638
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,298
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10397
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    After Weir's unfortunate injury withdrawal from Rostelecom Cup after the SP in Moscow, he was supposed to tape a show about his life and family for a Russian TV channel the following week. He wrote about the upsetting things that subsequently happened to him in his Falls Church (VA) News-Press column (started in mid-October) on Nov. 16: Johnny's World: A Russian Tale, Volume 1
    He sounds so sad It must be so hard for him to face that reality in the country he loves so much and has taken as a sort of second home.

  19. #639

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,457
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    39533
    Husband Victor tweeted on Nov. 17:
    "Watching @JohnnyGWeir create his new free program is super. He WILL skate at NATS in Omaha.Program will shock & delight. Classical Russian"
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  20. #640

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    City of Blinding Light
    Posts
    15,867
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10901
    I received this info in an email today:

    NEW DATE/LOCATION - Holiday Dreams on Ice Starring Johnny Weir & Emily Hughes - Dec 16th - Christopher Morley Park


    Dear Skaters, Coaches, and Club Members,

    We wanted to pass on some updated information - Holiday Dreams on Ice starring Johnny Weir will now be at Christopher Morley Park in Roslyn, NY on SUNDAY DECEMBER 16th at 7pm. We are excited to announce that Emily Hughes will now be skating with us also!

    Our original venue - Abe Stark Arena - was severely damage in Hurricane Sandy and will need several months of repairs before it is fully operational. We are extremely thankful to Christopher Morley Park and Nassau County for being able and willing to host our show with such little notice. Due to the change in venue our show is now Sunday December 16th with a rain date of Saturday December 22nd.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •