Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    vCash
    i read somewhere that Johnny Got Mac Cosmetics ad.

vCash
    He's going to be the face of MAC I think for their Winter Holiday campaign.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by REO View Post
    LOL The first pic from that event I saw was of just him from the waist up and I thought, "How cute does he look tonight?!" and then I saw the shorts. Never let it be said that he's predictable.

I LOVED the shirt and cravat. I think that Brad Goreski styled him that night, very much his look.

vCash
    He's going to be the face of MAC I think for their Winter Holiday campaign.
    The timing for the campaign is perfect, with the second season of his show coming out in November.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Did they really I hadn't heard about that.
    Indeed they did. Just search for interviews with her prior to the start of the season.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

4 More Years
    vCash
    LOL The first pic from that event I saw was of just him from the waist up and I thought, "How cute does he look tonight?!" and then I saw the shorts. Never let it be said that he's predictable.
    You can see the shorts here

I don't particularly mind the cravat, a little wierd but ok. The shorts however are just ridiculous. He looks like he is wearing a plastic garbage bag or a big ol black diaper.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemomaz View Post
    I don't particularly mind the cravat, a little wierd but ok. The shorts however are just ridiculous. He looks like he is wearing a plastic garbage bag or a big ol black diaper.
    First of all, great cause, Trevor Project.
    My thought on the outfit as I scrolled down a photo was "Cute hair, nice jacket/cravat--very Johnny... WHAT are these shorts, and why is his shirt only half tucked in?" But then the more I looked at it, the more I got used to it? And I thought, "Well, it's the Trevor Project. It's all about being yourself, unabashedly. It's pretty appropriate for him to wear something fearless." Now I think it's great, because even though I really don't like those shorts, particularly with that jacket, it's like, "Eh, why not? He's got the legs and the guts for it." My only complaint was that he wore too much makeup. He's too pretty to wear so much that it looks like a mask of foundation. Two different reactions:

http://www.glamour.com/fashion/blogs...hnny-weir.html

http://innewyorkparistomorrow.blogspot.com/

From the Bloc
    vCash
    At least he's got good legs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    At least he's got good legs.
    tru dat.

vCash
    I'm with TLo on this one. That get-up is out there for the sake of being out there and just doesn't work.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Justathoughtabl View Post
    I haven't been following skating all that long, but it seems to me that the USFSA takes image very seriously. They told Rachael Flatt to cut her hair, for example. Who cares about her hair?
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Did they really I hadn't heard about that.
    "USFSA" in this case was probably an official or two. As I understand it, the skaters who have international assignments regularly are offered all sorts of advice from judges/officials regarding their appearance to costumes, etc. It's up to the skater if he/she want to take their advice (depending on the official(s) suggesting...)

They've told Johnny to change his costume. What would they do if a skater had tattoos
    Jeremy Abbott has tattoos.

Bottom line is... as long as a skater skates well nationally and/or internationally, that's what matters the most to "USFS."

vCash
    ... Would this affect how he's judged? I don't think so. If it was well-known in the skating world the whole time, what difference does it make if he makes it official? It's not like it's going to damage the sport, because non-fans think most of the men in skating must be gay anyway.
    LOL, you should probably ask gay skaters to come forward and answer your question. Actually, the fact that anyone is gay shouldn't make a difference in any realm or endeavor. However, sadly, it still does make a difference (or we wouldn't be talking about it), even within the world of figure skating. Sure, privately within the inside world of figure skating nowadays being gay is widely accepted, because there are many gay skaters, coaches, and officials. However, IMHO, it is still frowned upon to openly admit to it or to talk about it. Again, I think Johnny with his huge talent could not be ignored as some might have wished he could be because they were uncomfortable with his rebellious stance and his no-holds barred approach to being himself. Therefore, Johnny often took the heat for being so "out there," so different, and so outspoken. Ironically, IMHO, his being the talented but weird "whipping boy" has led to the relaxation of some of the more rigid attitudes toward gay figure skaters. So in the wake of the Johnny comet in figure skating, as long as you are not Johnny Weir, its okay to be queer.

The thing is, historically within figure skating, being gay altho' not publicly acceptable (largely due to societal/ cultural fears and traditions), was privately known and/ or gossiped about. The huge no-no and taboo has always been to openly admit to being gay, or as a male to appear "effeminate while skating." But once again, after Johnny, it seems to me that as long as you have talent, work hard, and conform publicly to acceptable norms, there's a lot more leeway for self-expression on the ice, if not a complete end to the faux "masculine/ macho" presentation b***s***

If anything, I think his days in the closet - with the door wide open apparently - only served to annoy people like the USFSA in the context of his ongoing quest to be different and refusal to play along with the rest of them.
    Color me stupid, but "annoy people like the USFSA..." USFS is an organization made up of a variety of individuals from varying backgrounds. Sure, as an entity the USFS may often be referred to as "TPTB" and accused of harboring a set of antiquated attitudes, that unfairly have tended to be biased against "poor, persecuted Johnny." But forget about Johnny for a moment..., gosh it sure must be hard being "people like the USFSA."

Re: "ongoing quest to be different and refusal to play along with the rest of them. Oh well, I guess your comments kinda prove my earlier point: It's okay to be queer, as long as you're not Johnny Weir. Addendum: And as long as you're willing to "play along with the rest of them."

If I were the USFSA, I'd have zero problem with Johnny's sexuality - it would be everything else that he did or might have done making me worry about the image of the organization and sport.
    Again, proving my earlier point. But, sigh, I'm as weary of this kind of blanket approbriation of Johnny, whatever "he did or might have done," or may in fact do in the future, as you are of "lengthy" treatises on "poor, persecuted Johnny." Good grief! Sorry, Jenny, as I don't know you and my aim is not to make fun of you, but to try and make sense of what you are actually saying or intending to say. My aim may be gratuitous or a waste of time, but sometimes trying to understand each other can be a good thing. You know, we might even find ourselves enjoying each other's company should we ever sit down together, share a poutine and discuss Johnny and figure skating ... or make that discuss anything but Johnny perhaps.

Re Johnny and friend's outfits.... ITA Justathoughtabl! Johnny has a way with fashion, as well as a way with words and skate blades. Funny the fact that Johnny provokes just by being himself. Whether he's intentionally provoking, or just inimitably being who he is, he surely is "The Top," as expressed in that very funny and original Cole Porter song. I give Johnny credit for not being boring and insipid, and following the crowd.

In his book, Johnny definitely illustrates how from a young age, his way of asserting himself and dealing with the bullying or belittling attitudes of others was to get back on the bike, braid those offensive streamers, pedal back to the bullies' territory, and flaunt his individuality. He admits "braiding the streamers" was kinda silly --(a statement nonetheless), and pulling out of a competition because TPTB wished to ban his outfit was kinda stupid --(an action that only ended up hurting himself). We all live and learn. IMHO, it's Johnny's chutzpah and his courage in being himself and being comfortable in his own skin that ultimately is what many people admire about him the most. That is why I find him inspirational. He's not a saint, but he's definitely inspirational. If I want to spend time faultfinding, I need look no farther than my own shortcomings.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 07-02-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    The thing is, historically within figure skating, being gay altho' not publicly acceptable (largely due to societal/ cultural fears and traditions), was privately known and/ or gossiped about. The huge no-no and taboo has always been to openly admit to being gay, or as a male to appear "effeminate while skating."
    Wow, thanks for this dose of enlightenment. I'm sure no one on this board already knew this

But once again, after Johnny, it seems to me that as long as you have talent, work hard, and conform publicly to acceptable norms, there's a lot more leeway for self-expression on the ice, if not a complete end to the faux "masculine/ macho" presentation b***s***
    "After Johnny"??? So if you know so much about figure skating history, how did you miss that Toller Cranston and John Curry were the agents for exactly the same sort of change in the early/mid 70s? Johnny is far from being the only skater who has influenced how male skaters present themselves in the ice.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Today (7/2/11) was Johnny's 27th birthday, just to keep up the news thread. He's in Japan right now, doing Fantasy on Ice. From the letter he wrote to Japanese fans after the tsunami, it seems this is just where he'd want to spend a special day like this.

vCash
    I just (finally) saw the movie Thor, and the whole time I was thinking how much Loki (Tom Hiddleston) looked like Johnny Weir. They really have very different facial structures, but the skin, the eyes, the hair . . . something else . . . just reminded me of Johnny. Here's a link to a photo that doesn't entirely show the resemblance:
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm204126208/nm1089991

vCash
    what a babe.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    "After Johnny"??? So if you know so much about figure skating history, how did you miss that Toller Cranston and John Curry were the agents for exactly the same sort of change in the early/mid 70s? Johnny is far from being the only skater who has influenced how male skaters present themselves in the ice.
    Exactly. Johnny is not as original or different as some seem to think, nor is he particularly revolutionary or trendsetting as a figure skater.

Most of his so-called outrageousness is centred on his off-ice persona - the things he says, does and wears.

I honestly wish Johnny had put more of his energy into expressing himself through skating within the discipline of the sport, where I think his creativity could have grown and become something really interesting. Once freed of judges and rules and requirements, I think he lacks the foundation to really create art out there, and instead is just well, out there.

And aftershocks, I am entirely aware that coming out is a huge deal for figure skaters and other men and women - my point was that as it relates to any effect on the sport, it wouldn't have made any difference if Johnny had come out while still competing under the auspices of the USFSA as opposed to waiting until he had a book deal.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash

And aftershocks, I am entirely aware that coming out is a huge deal for figure skaters and other men and women - my point was that as it relates to any effect on the sport, it wouldn't have made any difference if Johnny had come out while still competing under the auspices of the USFSA as opposed to waiting until he had a book deal.
    I can't remember off-hand, obviously you can..What skaters "came out" when they were still competing in the USA?

vCash
    Surely you haven't forgotten Rudy Galindo

You might also be interested in this article:
    http://www.goldenskate.com/2011/06/gay-pride/

And this website, which is not up to date but still around with some interesting content:
    http://www.plover.com/rainbowice/

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    I can't remember off-hand, obviously you can..What skaters "came out" when they were still competing in the USA?
    Other than Rudy Galindo, there is little precedent, and if there were, it would essentially be irrelevant. You can't compare coming out today to coming out in decades past, or even as recently as 10 years ago.

So yes, I'm hypothesizing when it comes to figure skating specifically, but in looking at the broader world around us, I'm confident in my opinion that Johnny could have come out several years ago, while still competing, without it affecting the sport or his federation in a negative way.

It would actually be interesting to somehow measure how much ink/discussion/interest Johnny's sexual preferences generated before vs after he made it official in his book. Often, the path to a place is more interesting than what we find when we actually get there. This reference might be a bit outdated for some people, but remember when Sam and Diane finally got together on Cheers?

Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast