Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 728
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    98
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Last edited by Lexxandra; 03-11-2011 at 08:41 PM.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,398
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks for posting, Lexxandra. Lots of Johnny news in these video clips. Too bad the lighting is not great, and the sound when the questioners speak is often indistinguishable. Soooo, the apartment purchase rumors are wrong. Johnny said he inquired and looked at the condo, but had not decided to buy it because it was a lot of money for a one-bedroom. Plus, the building owners were interested in the publicity factor, which isn't good. Isn't it interesting how the media, and especially many FSU posters all jump the gun before knowing the truth (re all the snarky comments about the supposed condo purchase in that ignominious thread).

    Jumping the gun, I will say I'm not surprised that Evan (according to Johnny) has a contract that reportedly stipulates he will not skate in any shows with Johnny. I think that's kind of sad. Maybe Evan also wouldn't want to skate in any shows with Plushenko.

    I think I heard Johnny say that Evgeni is not preparing to skate in his show either, because he's teaching skating (couldn't quite make out if he was referring to Evgeni, though).

    I must say I disagree with Johnny's statement that the American men are not a good team for the World Championships, perhaps there's some jealousy in his comments. Johnny has in the past shown respect to Ryan Bradley (when Johnny commentated for Worlds last year, he had very nice things to say about Ryan). And, I also think that Ryan seems to be very sportsmanlike toward all his competitors. In any case, Johnny is not alone in feeling that the Men's team going to Worlds does not have great experience or results on the senior level. I think Ryan can be competitive if he lands his quads and does the best he can do (but I wouldn't expect him to reach the podium, unless a lot of other guys falter). Of course Jeremy Abbott is the more well known internationally, and his programs are more mature and complex, but Abbott didn't deliver at Nationals in the long program -- and Abbott hasn't yet had good results at Worlds. I really like Ross Miner, and I think Richard Dornbush's Sherlock Holmes program is well-suited to his strengths, and also very entertaining. If these two can lay out clean programs and not think about the pressure, they should place well, and the experience is invaluable. Everyone has to start somewhere, and it's not fair to be dismissive of them. OTOH, Johnny has often been at the receiving end of dismissive treatment by his own fed, so I sympathize with the emotions that may exist under the surface of his comments.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 03-11-2011 at 08:55 PM.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,295
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    31302
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Isn't it interesting how the media, and especially many FSU posters all jump the gun before knowing the truth (re all the snarky comments about the supposed condo purchase in that ignominious thread).
    So where were the reports at the time that Johnny *didn't* buy the condo? The reports that he *did* buy the condo were coming from fairly reliable sources, e.g. blogs that cover New York real estate deals. And there was no denial of those reports from Team Johnny.

    Speaking of "jumping the gun before knowing the truth", I know you love any excuse to slam FSUers who don't worship Johnny as much as you do, but the thread was based on the reliable information that was out there at the time.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,618
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Typical media. I remember around the same time as the condo reports, there were tons of reports all over the place (not just at gossip sites) that Taylor Swift's latest boyfriend had paid an insane amount for a diamond bracelet for her, when in reality they were already broken up.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    407
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I believe the original source of the Johnny Weir condo story was Page Six in the NY Post, which is a gossip column. Hardly trustworthy, and I for one feel a bit foolish for not being more dubious. But it's not a big deal, and there was really no reason to have such a blow-up about it in the first place. It still may be true, or it may not. Best we just wait to see what Johnny says.

  6. #6
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,363
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11617
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Soooo, the apartment purchase rumors are wrong. Johnny said he inquired and looked at the condo, but had not decided to buy it because it was a lot of money for a one-bedroom. Plus, the building owners were interested in the publicity factor, which isn't good. Isn't it interesting how the media, and especially many FSU posters all jump the gun before knowing the truth (re all the snarky comments about the supposed condo purchase in that ignominious thread).
    There were multiple news reports from credible sources that he had bought the apartment, and the online listing indicated it was no longer on the market. As most people don't make an official announcement when they've purchased a home, based on the info at hand I think FSUers can be forgiven for assuming it was true.

    And how do you know that what you've posted here is the truth? Just because Johnny said it? Please. That's his version of what happened, or the version that he wants people to know - which doesn't mean it's fact.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    2,222
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5970
    I wondered why news about Johnny buying a condo was posted in "Great Skate Debate." I now wonder why a thread about Johnny NOT buying a condo is posted in "Great Skate Debate." Meanwhile, we have an article about Fumie Suguri continuing on to 2014, an article actually about skating, that sits in the "Trash Can." ????

    O-

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,398
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yes, who knows, Jenny? Quite true, Johnny is speaking informally at a fan meeting. However, I would rely on the fact that Johnny said he hasn't decided to purchase the condo. Of course, we don't know whether that means he might change his mind at some future date. He pointed out two reasons for not making the purchase: size vs. cost; and the fact the building owners were so eager to publicize he might be making the purchase.

    In fact, I also jumped the gun on something else Johnny stated during the interview (so I'm not excluding myself), which may or may not be true. I'm kind of thinking it probably is true, but again, nothing to blow out of proportion certainly. Even Johnny's comments about the U.S. men for the World team coincide with the opinions of some fans.

    If you view the clips Lexxandra posted OliviaPug, surprise, surprise, there are in fact many references to skating (only a small part of the second clip involved mention of the non-purchase of the condo). I'm sorry for bringing it up. There is quite a lot in these clips other than the things I mentioned. It's probably best for everyone to view the clips first.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 03-11-2011 at 09:13 PM.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    98
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    I now wonder why a thread about Johnny NOT buying a condo is posted in "Great Skate Debate."
    Maybe because Johnny also talks about his new short and free programs, but people for some reason want to discuss a condo?

  10. #10
    Fetalized since 1998
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Waving my Adam banner
    Posts
    2,593
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34624
    Johnny and Evan are both listed as appearing in FSIH at Wolman Rink in April. Let's see if they are both there.

    In what part (#) did Johnny said that re: Evan and the contract?

    Thanks.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    407
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yes, I watched the clips of the fan meeting and will throw in my two cents: to me, he comes off has sweet, funny, forthcoming with answers to fan questions, and very gracious to sit for so long with the fans. Also, I think he's much more practical/thoughtful than he gets credit for. They asked about his skating plans, and his answers were quite interesting.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,065
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    If Evan actually does have a contract saying he won't skate with Johnny, then I guess that's why Johnny isn't on Stars on Ice.. I kind of understand why Evan would have a contract like this because Johnny is so in people's faces.. he could easily get on someone's nerves in a major way.

  13. #13
    Skating Pairs with Drew
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In Uber Rehab
    Posts
    12,171
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    If Evan actually does have a contract saying he won't skate with Johnny, then I guess that's why Johnny isn't on Stars on Ice.. I kind of understand why Evan would have a contract like this because Johnny is so in people's faces.. he could easily get on someone's nerves in a major way.

    I wondered if the childish names that he called Michael Weiss had anything to do with not being asked to skate in SOI. In his book he sounded like an 8 year old hurling insults on the playground. He gave no information to back up the insults. I thought that SOI was looking for a family style cast that could get along with each other.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,065
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    I wondered if the childish names that he called Michael Weiss had anything to do with not being asked to skate in SOI. In his book he sounded like an 8 year old hurling insults on the playground. He gave no information to back up the insults. I thought that SOI was looking for a family style cast that could get along with each other.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

  15. #15
    Skating Pairs with Drew
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In Uber Rehab
    Posts
    12,171
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that.
    Johnny makes it very clear that he is not a team player. Reading Scott Hamilton's books and his reaction to drama with Tara and Debi Thomas, I can understand why he would not want to have Johnny on board. Of course, I know nothing about the real situation, no insider knowledge, but I do think that Johnny's lack of being a team player is part of the situation.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,398
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    @kwanette: A question about Evan is asked by a fan in clip #3, when Johnny is responding to an earlier question about skaters he might like to appear in his planned show with Lady Gaga and Elton John. If Evan does have such a stipulation in his contract for shows, I don't think that would necessarily pertain to Evan appearing at a FSIH benefit when Johnny is also appearing. Perhaps Evan, as the Olympic champion, prefers to be the major male skating star for any touring or special performance shows. In any case, I doubt that Johnny would ever think of asking Evan to appear in his skating spectacular. Seriously, I think these guys both had a lot of respect for each other growing up in the sport, but maybe they never had a lot in common and would never have been friends anyway. The real problem, IMO, is that the federation and the media overdid the rivalry aspect, and also that Evan's personality seemed to change after he won the bronze at Worlds in 2005. For example, when Johnny had his meltdown in the lp at 2003 Nats, Johnny later said Evan was the only person who came up to him backstage and offered words of encouragement. Once Evan became the fed favorite and began winning internationally, IMO, he seemed to take on a different mindset (not saying that's wrong, but just my observation) which left no room for being kind to his closest competitors.

    @Justathoughtabl: ITA, Johnny is very giving of his time to fans, and he's very open and funny in responding to questions, especially that one about an error in his book. I love how he responds to the question about being a star, but also being approachable. He said he feels it is an honor to give back love and time to his fans who give so much to him. Johnny also had some lovely things to say about his friendship with Stephane Lambiel. I think Johnny's personality is very empathetic, and that he somehow responds to people in the same manner in which they respond to him. He's very attuned to emotions.

    In the below press interview clip (also posted in the Johnny comeback thread), Johnny is asked again about the U.S. men's team, and he has interesting things to say about Adam Rippon. I hope Adam is able to work out his growing pains and come back strong for next season. Johnny is also asked about Ryan Bradley, and he admits that Ryan is a good skater, but he doesn't think he'll be able to medal at Worlds since he previously was in "16th place." Actually, Ryan was 15th at 2007 Worlds -- I think he had blown one of his programs that year, and should probably have placed higher. In 2010, Ryan was 18th (he was dealing with an injury). I've always enjoyed Ryan -- he's very entertaining. I think he's improved his spins, and he has great jumps when he's on. I give Ryan a thumbs-up, and hope he does well at Worlds. I've often thought that if Ryan had been born in Russia and been made to take ballet (which Russians don't consider to be a sissy undertaking), he might have more stretch, flexibility and a sense of artistry and musicality, which combined with his long legs and charisma, would make him absolutely breathtaking as a skater.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5we8p8S9Ehw

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,618
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    At this point, I would take anything that Johnny says about Evan with a boulder-sized grain of salt.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

  18. #18
    Hey, Kool-Aid!
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    11,182
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2492
    I think Johnny needs to buy a condo in the trashcan with all the other fan threads
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

  19. #19
    podcast mistress
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    Posts
    7,823
    vCash
    2367
    Rep Power
    4368
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    I wondered if the childish names that he called Michael Weiss had anything to do with not being asked to skate in SOI. In his book he sounded like an 8 year old hurling insults on the playground. He gave no information to back up the insults. I thought that SOI was looking for a family style cast that could get along with each other.
    Don't forget all the hullaballo last year about how Johnny was "too gay" for SOI. It was all over CNN. It was a terrible PR blow for SOI, and totally hyped more by Johnny's fans than Johnny himself. I think that has way more to do with them not extending a contract this season than the book, since the book came out recently and SOI contracts probably would have been signed prior to the book coming out.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jersey of course!
    Posts
    997
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    I think Johnny needs to buy a condo in the trashcan with all the other fan threads
    But then, where are we going to discuss that?

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •