Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FS expressions?

vCash
    I've heard ice dancers jokingly refer to the Westminster Waltz as Westmonster, the Viennese Waltz as Vietnamese, European as You're-a-pullin'.
    And officials unofficially refer to novice ladies as nervous ladies.

vCash
    And the Kilian is the "Kill-Me-Now."

I refer to the Hickory Hoedown as the Hokey Hoedown.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I wish I could remember where I read the etymology of mohawk and choctaw turns, it's not on Wikipedia.
    Is this where you read it - Joanne Schneider-Farris on about.com?

http://figureskating.about.com/od/hi...mohawkname.htm

The turns were named after Native American tribes in honor of their dance steps, according to the sources cited in the article.

Those tribes were originally living where New York State now exists, which is why I pronounce those terms in my thickest NY accent, thank you very much.

vCash
    If no one has mentioned it, there's always the term "splatfest."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    I've heard ice dancers jokingly refer to the Westminster Waltz as Westmonster, the Viennese Waltz as Vietnamese, European as You're-a-pullin'.
    And officials unofficially refer to novice ladies as nervous ladies.
    I've always heard the European referred to as the "You're a peon" or "You're a pee-on", LOL!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    I've always heard the European referred to as the "You're a peon" or "You're a pee-on", LOL!
    I've heard "Fiasco Tango" for Fiesta Tango as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    I've heard "Fiasco Tango" for Fiesta Tango as well.
    Ha ha! Love it!

vCash
    When a skater lands a jump and immediately goes into a three turn, it's called "three-ing the landing." It usually happens on underrotation, but many half-jumps (like the Split jump) that are not checked properly on landing end up "three-ed."

vCash
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned the "toe-axel" (a double or triple toeloop where the skater turns forward on the picking toe before leaving the ice). This is an error that results in an underrotation or downgrade call.

Also, how about the "kiss 'n' cry"?

And "jumping bean" - A young skater who is a great jumper, sometimes at the expense of the rest of his/her skating, and sometimes--in the case of girls--only until the "puberty monster" hits.
    Last edited by Doubletoe; 03-23-2011 at 04:36 AM.

vCash
    One quickie that you probably know.

Dead Ice/Dead Session: a session of ice that's basically empty. This is where higher-level skaters lovvve practicing, and will go to any lengths to find

vCash
    Thanks again for your answers. I wouldn't have thought or discovered many of those terms without you.

Are you looking for jargon that skaters and coaches use, or fans?
    I'm looking for both. One of my goals is to gather all the expressions/terms used by skaters and coaches, but also by fans.

Human Zamboni - when someone falls repeatedly during their program. I think this term was coined at the 1992 Olympics when French skater, Laetitia Hubert, had a disastrous free skate that included many falls.
    How interesting. I remember a French documentary that I watched back in 1999 or 2000, in which a French sports reporter said that Hubert was nicknamed 'Human Zamboni' because she beat Lipinski at the 1997 Lalique. I guess he misunderstood the expression as an equivalent for "climbing back to the top"!!

If no one has mentioned it, there's always the term "splatfest."
    This one is used only on FS boards, right? Or is it widespread among skaters/judges?

And what about "cheesefest" and "lovefest"? Many they're not limited to FS. I have no idea.. I'm also having trouble finding an equivalent for "fluff" in French. Why did I choose those studies?

And well, the portmanteau words for compulsory dances are quite creative and so funny I'm not planning on studying ice-dancing vocabulary though, but still, thanks!

vCash
    LOL DannyCurry ! It's only now that I notice you're French... It's crazy, because I had a lot of expressions which came to my mind in French first (je viens de Vevey, en Suisse !), but now... nothing more !

vCash
    I hate the Hickory Hoedown! I am not an Ice Dancer. I hate listening to the music for that dance with the glissando trombone that sounds like a "MOOOO!" from a cow!

vCash
    I'm not sure if a non-skater would understand the term "to put someone on the ice" or to be "at the boards". It is usually the skater's primary coach who "puts her on the ice" at a competition and is "at the boards" during her practice ice and official warmup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8ing Wizard View Post
    One quickie that you probably know.

Dead Ice/Dead Session: a session of ice that's basically empty. This is where higher-level skaters lovvve practicing, and will go to any lengths to find
    Not just higher-level skaters

vCash
    I think scratched is just slang for withdrawn, not an actual separate term.

That reminds me of another slang phrase, scratch spin, which generally refers to a one-foot spin, typically a spin that is only a one-foot spin from start to finish. You could say back scratch as well for a backward one-foot spin.

Change-foot spins which do not change a position are often called "___ change" - ie, sit change is a very common slang for a forward sit spin/backward sit spin combination. Strangely, I don't hear "camel change" very often, mostly "camel-back camel". But since that got taken off the Novice FS, no one does that spin anymore

Waxel is a term for an axel jump that went very badly, a similar name for a salchow is wowcow (which I say to my students and it always gets a laugh).

There are some odd names for beginner skills - swizzles/sculling, shoot-the-duck, rocking horse. I wish I could remember where I read the etymology of mohawk and choctaw turns, it's not on Wikipedia.
    There is also a bunny hop, spread eagle, and a falling leaf. A spin that doesn't stay in one place "travels". I've heard of "mopping up the ice" (similar to human zamboni). A jump where the upper body rotates ahead of the lower is a "corkscrew". A fall square on the knees is referred to a "knee banger", if you hit your head it is a "head banger". Having deep knee bends is referred to as "soft knees". "Deep edges" refers to being able to skate with your body at an angle (spread eagle, death spiral) to the ice as a opposed to "shallow edging" or skating on a "flat" where your body is perfectly perpendicular to the ice.

vCash
    My coach and I do the Willow Waltz to the Macarena and call it the Willowrena (trust me it works!).

There is also the Harass (Harris) Tango and Starfright (Starlight) Waltz.

Choctaws get called Chocolate Toes.

And my coach always provides incentive by saying "I will hit you with my blade guard". Not so much a skating term but a threat said with the greatest respect and endeavour to motivate.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12