Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1047

vCash
    CBC article:
    Slipchuk was asked if Canada would be willing to offer a venue, such as London or Vancouver, to the ISU as a place to move the worlds, but he would only say his group would give whatever help it could once the decision on Tokyo is taken.

Skating insiders have pointed to Seoul, Korea, Beijing, China, or Turin, Italy as possible backup locations.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...#ixzz1GXdb5wmi

vCash
    I don't think Slipchuk could say anything else. There's not much to say. By then, he knew whether or not he'd spoken to Cinquanta (which I guess he hadn't) and was prepared to help. What else can one say?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    I don't think Slipchuk could say anything else. There's not much to say. By then, he knew whether or not he'd spoken to Cinquanta (which I guess he hadn't) and was prepared to help. What else can one say?
    RIght, and it might be inappropriate to say anything until the Tokyo organizers and ISU had made a decision.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I wonder if fans on Russian forums are volunteering Moscow and St Petersburg. And what fans on other forums are saying.

I actually think S. Korea might be ideal because its close to where the event was originally located, and they just hosted a major event. Plus with the rabid Yu-na fans, can you imagine how quickly tickets would sell? Also given the proximity of Japan/Korea. They could also perhaps make it possible for at least some of the original ticket holders to get first priority at tickets to the event. I realize its probably wishful thinking that some Japanese would be able to get to leave at short notice, but perhaps some could still get to go.

This being said, I of course vote for the USA.

But I really think Korea/Taiwan might be an ideal place.
    Really good idea.
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Wouldn't be logistically impossible to reschedule such a large event as Worlds at short notice? Ticket sales, athlete accommodations, volunteers, arena amenities all have to be handled - a huge volume of details that are addressed over the course of many months.

Not to mention, everybody with tickets, hotel bookings and travel arrangements will have to rearrange everything. Refunds will have to be obtained and new plans made. Even if that is possible - i.e. will airlines refund tickets if the person didn't buy insurance, as I often don't - it will take time. And changing the date would not work because it would throw a wrench into vacation plans made some time ago.
    It may just have to not be the kind of Worlds everyone is used to.Scaled down may be the way to go at the moment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post

Not to mention, everybody with tickets, hotel bookings and travel arrangements will have to rearrange everything. Refunds will have to be obtained and new plans made. Even if that is possible - i.e. will airlines refund tickets if the person didn't buy insurance, as I often don't - it will take time. And changing the date would not work because it would throw a wrench into vacation plans made some time ago.
    Well I'm thinking thats why having it in Asia especially someplace like Korea, might make it easier for some of the ticket holders to change plans. But even if it isnt' easier, I think the ISU can do their best to make it up to the current ticket holders. Like offering them the ability to exchange their tickets for this years or next years worlds.

The main thing though is the skaters, and the fact that many have worked their entire lives for this moment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    RIght, and it might be inappropriate to say anything until the Tokyo organizers and ISU had made a decision.
    Agreed. Part of why I'm not sure what Kim Lucine, Amodio and Anais Morand were doing tweeting/facebook posting about whatever information they had-especially because it all seems to conflict.

I think that anyone saying anything in advance of Speedy is unfair to him and to other officials who are working hard doing something.

Banned Member
    vCash
    A few minutes ago one more little quake happened. Confusing information about power cut. They say it won't be but I am not sure. Right now everywhere here the electricity is fine. But the situation with public transport is awful. Many lines are stopped. Of course in such situation it is a kind of difficult to host the Worlds. But at the same time I don't support the idea to cancel it completely. It's just too lazy. A lot of people are making efforts now, it takes them hours to get to work, nobody cancels trips to work. So, ISU should make some efforts too, to either choose another place for the Worlds and postpone it for 3-4 weeks.

vCash
    From Kyodo News
    http://english.kyodonews.jp/
    NEWS ADVISORY: World figure skating championships postponed: sources (12:32)

vCash
    If the host is to be changed, Korea is more ideal than Taiwan because of all the craze for the sport and for Yuna. I would imagine it would be extremely easy to get volunteers (and sponsors if the original ones pulled out). Ticket sales won't be a problem. Of course everyone local just wants to see Yuna but the ISU could arrange local volunteer shifts and ticket sales as a package deal etc (you wanna volunteer for a ladies session you must volunteer twice as much for dance / pairs etc).

Also, same time zone, one less thing for TV broadcasters to worry about.

With the fresh experience of having hosted Junior Worlds and their bid for 2018, I bet Korea would make this work very well.

Beijing, China would also work for similar reasons in previous hosting experience, money, ticketing and venue etc.

If Worlds was to use the WTT time slot in Japan instead, I think they might have to cut competitors so as to fit all the competition into the shorter time frame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    Exactly. Why any of the following in Ontario would make sense: Mississauga, Kitchener-Waterloo, London. All of these venues would draw on the same, very large and capable volunteer base, with recent experience hosting large international and national events.
    I expect that there would be quite a few spectators as well, including some driving from the Detroit and Buffalo areas.

This U.S. citizen would easily vote for Ontario!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marroncream View Post
    From Kyodo News
    http://english.kyodonews.jp/
    NEWS ADVISORY: World figure skating championships postponed: sources (12:32)
    Thanks Marroncream - I'll look forward to hearing more details when they are available

vCash
    Waiting for Speedy...

vCash
    Thank you, Marroncream.

I'm personally glad they say postpone and not cancel. I wonder if they will be held somewhere else?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    If the host is to be changed, Korea is more ideal than Taiwan because of all the craze for the sport and for Yuna. I would imagine it would be extremely easy to get volunteers (and sponsors if the original ones pulled out). Ticket sales won't be a problem. Of course everyone local just wants to see Yuna but the ISU could arrange local volunteer shifts and ticket sales as a package deal etc (you wanna volunteer for a ladies session you must volunteer twice as much for dance / pairs etc).

Also, same time zone, one less thing for TV broadcasters to worry about.

With the fresh experience of having hosted Junior Worlds and their bid for 2018, I bet Korea would make this work very well.

Beijing, China would also work for similar reasons in previous hosting experience, money, ticketing and venue etc.

If Worlds was to use the WTT time slot in Japan instead, I think they might have to cut competitors so as to fit all the competition into the shorter time frame.
    I think Korea works better than Beijing because skating seems to be much more popular in Korea right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrushka View Post
    It may just have to not be the kind of Worlds everyone is used to.Scaled down may be the way to go at the moment.
    ITA - simple and solemn is appropriate, with tributes to the Japanese.

vCash
    I think it would be a mistake to host World's in Korea. As much as you would like to think it wouldn't matter in the circumstances, some would definitely see it as a slap to the face for the Japanese. Especially if Yu-na wins.

vCash
    Speedy is not speedy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brina View Post
    I think it would be a mistake to host World's in Korea. As much as you would like to think it wouldn't matter in the circumstances, some would definitely see it as a slap to the face for the Japanese. Especially if Yu-na wins.
    I don't think this is really the time to tip toe around such situations. Worlds needs to happen somewhere, and if the ISU believes Korea is the best bet, the competition will be there.

vCash
    I took postponed to mean they still hope to hold it in Japan...

Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast