Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1047
    vCash
    I'm just beginning to question whether there will be a Worlds 2011-period.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Do we have to start a new thread at 1000 posts?
    Even if we don't, at this rate with some of the posts I would expect some sort of cyberquake to bring it down

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I just hope they don't cancel worlds all together. If at all possible they need to find another site, even if it takes place 2 months from now. It is only fair to the athletes who have worked all year and their entire lives. It will not be disrespectful to the people of Japan as life goes on and it should.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    As expected, the stock market in Japan has fallen; that should also happen to other stock markets as they open. Especially hard hit are the Japanese auto makers, where work has been suspended.

I don't expect this will last. Personally, I think the stocks will rebound.
    They will rebound.

Nikkei is down about 4.5%. All other major Asian indices aren't even down 1%, so the ripple effect will not be large. The scuttlebutt I have read based on history is that earthquakes do not affect markets drastically. Apparently there is a surge in economy-driving activity right after from the rebuilding. The difference here, though, is that you already have countries in debt that they have not been in in several decades.
    Last edited by Rock2; 03-14-2011 at 02:55 AM. Reason: more info

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I just hope they don't cancel worlds all together. If at all possible they need to find another site, even if it takes place 2 months from now. It is only fair to the athletes who have worked all year and their entire lives. It will not be disrespectful to the people of Japan as life goes on and it should.
    My thoughts exactly.

vCash
    IMO due to the fact that there are continued aftershocks there could be another big one( example:the New Madrid fault quakes),I think it would be a good idea to move Worlds rather than reschedule.If they choose not to then it'll be up to the countries and individual skaters to decide whether they want to risk their lives or not. It may not be as awesome and glamorous but it's about the skating and the points.

vCash
    I heard from a prominent world level coach that the ISU is slated to make a decision late tonight as to Worlds....so let's wait and see...

vCash
    With possible nuclear plant problems, massive loss of homes and power, another tsunami on the way...worlds should be canceled. The Japanese people have more to be concerned about now. Or maybe it could be postponed. I know that would be hard on skaters but my goodness, I can't imagine an entire country in such a state - so many are homeless and without food.

Podium girls at Vuelta make Yuna Kim look like a teenage boy
    vCash

Podium girls at Vuelta make Yuna Kim look like a teenage boy
    vCash
    delete, duplicate post

vCash
    I'm sure the ISU is not sticking their heads in the sand, but they also don't want to appear to be abandoning Tokyo, especially given the time and money already invested. However, if countries think their athletes, judges and officials are in danger or in the way, they have to consider that in the decision.

They probably have a short list of possible replacement host organizations, considered schedules and availability as well as having a dialogue with major sponsors and broadcasters. It's going to come down to safety and attendance/audience being weighed against being seen as uncaring.

vCash
    I'm trying to think in my head what the factors are that determine if a city can hold a World's on a quick turnaround. Criteria to me would be:

1. Has hosted a major skating event in the past, so that there is a template to upload vs. rethinking everything
    2. Arena and hotel availability
    3. Ample flights to the city
    4. Easy to visit without much in the way of visas etc needed in advance. Little security risk.
    5. Broadcaster capability with quick ability to upload a feed to ensure broadcast happens and related revenue gained
    6. Capable host federation and arena who can mobilize volunteers and other infrastructural elements.

Having said that if Canada steps in to help, I'll point out the following. Vancouver, Calgary and London have held major skating events and just happen to have their arenas available with very little bookings in any of those arenas during world's planned time!

However I'd have to think there would have been leaks that ISU was searching for another location. You'd think someone from a broadcaster or arena would have leaked some info out that one of us might have heard about by now. Dunno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BBI*CEO View Post
    I heard from a prominent world level coach that the ISU is slated to make a decision late tonight as to Worlds....so let's wait and see...
    Well I'll play semantics. If they are making a "decision" it's likely to be 'yes' or 'no'. If they have 'an announcement' that could involve another location.

All this speculation. My head hurts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    CBC ~ Japan quake death toll soars

The picture that goes along w/that is just jawdroppingly unbelievable.
    Agreed.
    I know they have to report real numbers but they have to get their head out of their tookas. In case they missed the video of torrential currents wiping out entire towns, they might want to project the final numbers to land well into the six figures. Horrific.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    I'm trying to think in my head what the factors are that determine if a city can hold a World's on a quick turnaround. Criteria to me would be:

1. Has hosted a major skating event in the past, so that there is a template to upload vs. rethinking everything
    4. Easy to visit without much in the way of visas etc needed in advance. Little security risk.
    5. Broadcaster capability with quick ability to upload a feed to ensure broadcast happens and related revenue gained
    6. Capable host federation and arena who can mobilize volunteers and other infrastructural elements.

The only caveat I would add is that the host would have recent experience.

Canada sounds ideal.

vCash
    I wonder if fans on Russian forums are volunteering Moscow and St Petersburg. And what fans on other forums are saying.

I actually think S. Korea might be ideal because its close to where the event was originally located, and they just hosted a major event. Plus with the rabid Yu-na fans, can you imagine how quickly tickets would sell? Also given the proximity of Japan/Korea. They could also perhaps make it possible for at least some of the original ticket holders to get first priority at tickets to the event. I realize its probably wishful thinking that some Japanese would be able to get to leave at short notice, but perhaps some could still get to go.

This being said, I of course vote for the USA.

But I really think Korea/Taiwan might be an ideal place.
    Last edited by bek; 03-14-2011 at 03:31 AM.

vCash
    Would it be hard to get visas to Korea on such short notice? I feel like the event should be postponed by 2 or 3 weeks to a place like lake placid, a Canadian venue, or Moscow. If the worlds are canceled, some type of cheesefest would probably be created.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosha View Post
    The only caveat I would add is that the host would have recent experience.

Canada sounds ideal.
    Exactly. Why any of the following in Ontario would make sense: Mississauga, Kitchener-Waterloo, London. All of these venues would draw on the same, very large and capable volunteer base, with recent experience hosting large international and national events.

vCash
    Wouldn't be logistically impossible to reschedule such a large event as Worlds at short notice? Ticket sales, athlete accommodations, volunteers, arena amenities all have to be handled - a huge volume of details that are addressed over the course of many months.

Not to mention, everybody with tickets, hotel bookings and travel arrangements will have to rearrange everything. Refunds will have to be obtained and new plans made. Even if that is possible - i.e. will airlines refund tickets if the person didn't buy insurance, as I often don't - it will take time. And changing the date would not work because it would throw a wrench into vacation plans made some time ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post

However I'd have to think there would have been leaks that ISU was searching for another location. You'd think someone from a broadcaster or arena would have leaked some info out that one of us might have heard about by now. Dunno.
    Not to plug my own city too much, but LA sounds like a great place, given all of those factors. I know TONS of people who would be willing to volunteer if they held it at LA Live. And we definitely have a lot of flights and hotel rooms! I was just downtown and I can think of a couple of places that would be logical Worlds hotels.

To reply to your second, now you're making me question whether moving Worlds was ever a legitimate consideration or just our pipe dream. I hope it gets moved, but I'm not sure Speedy was thinking that way...

Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 LastLast