Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
    vCash
    If it was moved to the US, this may be a chance to get more people to come and watch. Fans would sympathize with the fact that worlds could not be held because of the multiple disasters in Japan, and come to watch. Wherever/whenever worlds is, they should donate some portion of the money to Japan, or maybe even all from ticket sales. If people see there's a charity component attached, they will want to go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    Does anyone know if Mao is ok? I haven't heard anything.

Thanks.
    Yes she is. There was a Yuka Sato article that said Mao is fine.

vCash
    Ok, good thanks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateSkates View Post
    If it was moved to the US, this may be a chance to get more people to come and watch. Fans would sympathize with the fact that worlds could not be held because of the multiple disasters in Japan, and come to watch. Wherever/whenever worlds is, they should donate some portion of the money to Japan, or maybe even all from ticket sales. If people see there's a charity component attached, they will want to go.
    I already told my mom that if Worlds came to LA, I'd sign the entire family up to volunteer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    If Worlds isn't going to take place in Japan, it shouldn't be taken off them either and cancelled as a mark of respect.
    Are you sure that is what japanese fans and the federation would want, even if it were fair to other skaters? After all, Japan has gold medal favorites in two categories this year, whether the Worlds are held in Japan or not.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Apologies if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but what about moving the competition elsewhere in Japan? Is there a location with appropriate facilities in the south? Is Sapporo far enough northwest to have escaped damage?
    I think I mentioned in this thread that most of the arenas will be booked most weekends for the next few months. Then you have to organise hotels and flights. It would not be easy.

Sapporo is completely unaffected. I will be going there myself a bit early if Worlds are cancelled.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I'm still in shock. My prayers are with everyone in Japan. That is just horrible

Just an uneducated guess... Can Worlds be held in October, at the beginning of next season? That may give skaters time to plan their preparation, and maybe in this case event can still be held in Tokyo?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by darya_russian View Post
    I'm still in shock. My prayers are with everyone in Japan. That is just horrible

Just an uneducated guess... Can Worlds be held in October, at the beginning of next season? That may give skaters time to plan their preparation, and maybe in this case event can still be held in Tokyo?
    While it would be different venues, the Gymnastics World Championships is due to be held around that time in Tokyo. Kohei Uchimura is going for an unprecented 3 straight world AA titles. If it was feasible that would be an amazing double hitter for fans of both sports. Although to be frank gymnastics in Japan deserves the spotlight to itself.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    Are you sure that is what japanese fans and the federation would want, even if it were fair to other skaters? After all, Japan has gold medal favorites in two categories this year, whether the Worlds are held in Japan or not.
    I don't know about the JSF or Japanese fans. It's just my feeling. Not very logical, I know.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I don't know about the JSF or Japanese fans. It's just my feeling. Not very logical, I know.
    If it was something that would upset the Japanese, I would be for cancelling it all together too. But a part of me also thinks that surely the Japanese would in time like their skaters to have the opportunity to win the medals they would have won if it weren't for this tragedy.

If Worlds was to be moved to another place, I do think that perhaps Japan could be given another event as compensation. (The next available worlds, and another guaranteed one during the next quad.) Heck if its going to be delayed for several months, why not just hold it several months later in Japan?

vCash
    I wish it were possible to wait for a month and then hold the Worlds in Japan, though I know this is practically impossible.

OTOH if by some miracle the championships are held elsewhere, think many people will be rooting for the Japanese skaters.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    There is precedence for cancelling a World Championships. It happened 50 years ago. Different set of circumstances, I know, but it has happened before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    If it was something that would upset the Japanese, I would be for cancelling it all together too. But a part of me also thinks that surely the Japanese would in time like their skaters to have the opportunity to win the medals they would have won if it weren't for this tragedy.

If Worlds was to be moved to another place, I do think that perhaps Japan could be given another event as compensation. (The next available worlds, and another guaranteed one during the next quad.) Heck if its going to be delayed for several months, why not just hold it several months later in Japan?
    Let's just put it this way: Japan is in line for 2-4 medals, so I don't think the Japanese would object to Worlds happening someplace else.

As someone pointed out, the next available Worlds is 2014, unless someone is willing to swap. They could also take one from the Sochi-2018 quad, if they wanted it.

vCash
    I wish the ISU would just tell us now yay or nay. That makes me think there's some talk of moving it, because with the situation in Japan like it is right now, it can't possibly be in Tokyo safely so wouldn't they just say outright if they were cancelling?

vCash
    There is precedence for cancelling a World Championships. It happened 50 years ago. Different set of circumstances, I know, but it has happened before.
    Yes but I think the difference is that was a figure skating tragedy. These were skaters friends, family members that were killed. Second, it would have been cruel to make the friends/family members of the 61 plane crash to have to watch other skaters win the medals their skaters could have won that year.

In this case while obviously the tragedy is much bigger, I don't think the victims of the tragedy will particularly care if the figure skating championship is moved. (They won't be watching and thinking of the medal their kid could have won) So its a very different circumstance.

Maybe the Championships does need to be cancelled. But it just seems that will be hard for people like Czisny, who may never have a shot at this again. Who knows. I'm kind of for whatever people decide.

vCash
    We are really lucky that no skaters died and most of their families are known to be ok (except Mirai's grandparents, I don't know if she's got to talk to them yet or not).. oh yeah and Fumie Suguri's grandfather..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    And what rink in the lower mainland would you suggest? GM Place or whatever it's called now won't be available b/c of the NHL.

And if the Vancouver Giants make the playoffs in the WHL, the Pacific Coliseum won't be available either.
    The Olympics weren't held in the NHL arena so that's not a factor. I did check the schedule at Pacific coliseum and it didn't appear to be that busy, but maybe the sched I saw wasn't up to date.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I wish the ISU would just tell us now yay or nay. That makes me think there's some talk of moving it, because with the situation in Japan like it is right now, it can't possibly be in Tokyo safely so wouldn't they just say outright if they were cancelling?
    It's only been just over 48 hours since the earthquake happened. I think we can wait a few hours more.

vCash
    Mevrouw was in Tokyo on Friday when the quake hit and is currently in Hong Kong awaiting a flight home tomorrow. She was scheduled to go home on Saturday but when her flight was cancelled, opted to fly to Hong Kong where the ground doesn't shake every few hours rather than wait in Japan.

There is no train or subway service because of the risks of rail travel while aftershocks of 6 or more on the Richter scale are continuing. Because of the lack of rail transportation, traffic in Toyko is in a constant state of utter chaos. They've had to flood one nuclear reactor to cool it and until the aftershocks stop, the other reactors are at risk of being shut down too.

I would not want my son or daughter going to Tokyo this week. And as much as I want to see my favourite skaters at Worlds, but I can't imagine they would give their best performances in a country where you have to worry about rolling blackouts, transportation problems, and wondering whether your hotel will still be standing when you wake up in the morning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    I wish it were possible to wait for a month and then hold the Worlds in Japan, though I know this is practically impossible.
    Could the WTT venue, resources, etc. be used for Worlds instead?

Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast