Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I heard about this at work - so so so incredibly sad. Japan is a beautiful country, and from my experience the people who live there are also beautiful. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Japanese people in this time of need. I will definitely be texting in to the Red Cross for a donation.

As for Worlds, I don't know what to think. Some federations might be apprehensive about sending their athletes to Japan after such a devastating situation. Yoyogi is reportedly fine, however. Maybe the WC will help in taking people's minds off of the tragedy for a bit. Also, I know many FSUers had plans to travel to Tokyo and other parts of Japan in the near future. My heart goes out to you as well. I hope you arrive safely, or if you choose to cancel your trip, that you receive some kind of compensation/airline miles.

vCash
    So many lives have been devastated or taken by this enormous tragedy. Aside from loss of lives, livelihoods have been destroyed or profoundly altered in the last few hours. Homes have been damaged or destroyed. Cars, boats, airplanes, trains, so many things are damaged or destroyed. Businesses too. Coastal farmland and crops that help feed millions of people have been destroyed. It would do the economy of Tokyo a favor to soldier on with the Worlds Championships, if possible. Millions of yen in revenue are brought in from this event, and hundreds of workers in food and hospitality industry need to continue earning their wages. I know it's a tiny amount of Tokyo and Japan's economy, but every revenue dollar that can be brought to Japan should be brought there now and in the next few months. The economic devestation to the entire country of Japan is going to be huge. Any tiny thing we can do to help the Japanese people continue to work and maintain/rebuild their economy is needed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    I feel that Japan itself, and its people, should make this decision. If they feel that holding Worlds would benefit their people (re: income raised, spirits raised, etc.), and that holding the event does not impact their efforts re: quake recovery, then they should hold Worlds. It is their decision.
    This, this, and this.

And fan, that's a fabulous suggestion. As generous and wonderful as the people of Japan have been when others experience disaster, I know I am going to give as much as I can to help out.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    Breaking News reports that radiation may already have been released at nuke plant. The news just keeps getting worse :-( My thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Japan.
    That was a controlled release if it indeed took place and should not impact any one's health or the environment. My understanding is they were considering doing so to release some of the pressure within the cooling tower, but hadn't made the decision. The cooling tower wasn't damaged. It's a problem with electricity. Once they get it shut down completely, there will be no danger. The radioactive vapor will be very low dose and would rapidly dissipate in the environment.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    That was a controlled release if it indeed took place and should not impact any one's health or the environment. My understanding is they were considering doing so to release some of the pressure within the cooling tower, but hadn't made the decision. The cooling tower wasn't damaged. It's a problem with electricity. Once they get it shut down completely, there will be no danger. The radioactive vapor will be very low dose and would rapidly dissipate in the environment.
    That's good to hear.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Evan Lysacek
    Txt REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation to Japan & Pacific #tsunami relief. http://bit.ly/eZJDoJ
    http://bit.ly/eZJDoJ
    bit.ly

By phone or link, it takes a few minutes..

vCash
    The news is saying that it is a serious risk, and that they are expanding the evacuation area.

vCash

I guess this settles it...

Earthquake, Tsunami in Japan
    11 Mar 2011 10:32

As you probably are aware an earthquake and a so defined Tsunami hit the territory of Japan today March 11, 2011.
    The ISU received an e-mail message from the head office of the Japan Skating Federation (JSF) informing that one of their representatives had visited Yoyogi stadium and considered it suitable to host the World Figure Skating Championships 2010/11.
    The said communication from the (JSF) informs that the situation in Tokyo is settled and seems to be in-line for conducting the Championships.
    However the message of the head office of the JSF points out that the Narita Airport is closed.
    Further information will be given to the ISU by the JSF, in the meantime the ISU wishes to remind that the ISU World Figure Skating Championships are scheduled to commence with the practice sessions on March 20, 2011.
    The ISU, while expressing its sympathy to the Japan entities, is confident that the local conditions will permit to regularly conduct the Event.
    The ISU is planning to issue another Communication in the next days.

Ottavio Cinquanta
    ISU President

vCash
    "Shibutanis hopeful worlds will go on as scheduled" (article): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "It was just so shocking to see the news,'' [Alex] Shibutani said. "It's reminiscent of any horror disaster movie you've seen, but here, it's come to life.''

Shibutani and his sister, Maia, are scheduled to travel to Tokyo to compete in their first World Figure Skating Championships on March 21. The Shibutanis plan on traveling with their parents. Their mother was born in Japan but Alex Shibutani said they have no close relatives living there now.

According to Shibutani, he has been alerted by officials from U.S. Figure Skating to continue training in anticipation of the world championships, which are scheduled for March 21-27.
    "The fans in Japan are so educated about figure skating,'' Shibutani said. "And the people there are so supportive. I hope that we can compete there and be kind of a light for the people there.''

vCash
    Radiation is surging from a damaged plant:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42025882...s-asiapacific/

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    The radiation is not at dangerous levels. The news stations are playing up the sensational side of the story and they need to do their job a lot better!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    The Associated Press is also now citing Japanese nuclear safety agency officials as saying that radiation levels inside one of the reactors at the Fukushima-Daini nuclear power plant have surged to 1,000 times their normal levels after the cooling system failed. Pressure inside the reactor has risen to 1.5 times the level considered normal.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

vCash
    I tried to follow some coverage, but I'm seriously heartbroken about what happened

vCash
    Any news on Daisuke Takahashi? Please???

vCash
    I think what 1986 showed is that you should not underestimate a nuclear accident, I don't believe that "news stations are playing up the sensational side of it".

vCash
    I just saw an email from a couple of skating fans that are already in Japan, touring, before Worlds. One is in a little town outside Sapporo - can't get back to Sapporo for now. The other landed in Tokyo just before the earthquake - stranded at the airport at the time of the email. As in all disasters, things get really confused and complicated for a while.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ostile17 View Post
    Any news on Daisuke Takahashi? Please???
    There's been no specific news about him, but he's been holding a training camp in Fukui Prefecture for the last 2 weeks and schedule to be there until March 19. Fukui is reported to be unaffected by the earthquake.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmot View Post
    There's been no specific news about him, but he's been holding a training camp in Fukui Prefecture for the last 2 weeks and schedule to be there until March 19. Fukui is reported to be unaffected by the earthquake.
    Phew...thanks!!!

ETA: it's almost midnight in Italy, but I won't be able to go to sleep now, at least not until dawn breaks...

vCash
    Ever since I heard this news this morning, I have been thinking of nothing but Japan. Figure skating somehow seems so insignificant right now. Safety of those people and getting their lives in order has to be the priority.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sus2850 View Post
    I think what 1986 showed is that you should not underestimate a nuclear accident, I don't believe that "news stations are playing up the sensational side of it".
    While the rising levels are concerning, though not critical at this point, the news sources likely are playing it up just a bit. It's very common for all news outlets... radio, articles, TV... to make everything seem a little worse than it really is. Especially weather events. Reason is very good though. It makes people take situations more seriously. If the news was saying the levels were still normal, people wouldn't be concerned enough to evacuate. It doesn't mean no one should be concerned about a nuclear explosion/leak though.

Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast