Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253
Results 1,041 to 1,047 of 1047

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brina View Post
    I think it would be a mistake to host World's in Korea. As much as you would like to think it wouldn't matter in the circumstances, some would definitely see it as a slap to the face for the Japanese. Especially if Yu-na wins.
    But what if Yu-na doesn't win. Last time Yu-na skated in a major championship in Korea, she lost. I'm not so sure she loves skating in Korea.

Besides, not everything is about Japan vs Korea. This is about first and foremost the athletes getting to have their Worlds. Having it in Korea makes it easier for some of the fans from Japan to go than if its in Canada. Plus, its also less travel time for the Japanese athletes. A worlds in Korea could probably make some money, and some of the proceeds could go to the relief effort.

vCash
    This is starting to make sense. If Worlds is being postponed it jives with Slipchuk suggesting that he's going to let Japan decide what its doing and then think later about to what extent Skate Canada can help or step in. Rules out potential of comp being held at same time in different location since there's no evidence someone city is scrambling to get ready.

Feel free to pick London ON or SoCal! I live near London and have two biz trips to LA in the next few months!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I don't think this is really the time to tip toe around such situations. Worlds needs to happen somewhere, and if the ISU believes Korea is the best bet, the competition will be there.
    I agree. I think in the face of tragedy, it's important to keep pushing forward and embrace those endeavors that truly capture the human spirit.

I won't presume to speak for them, but I'd imagine the Japanese skaters would prefer there to BE a worlds since they have been working so hard. Any and all medals the team would manage could be a huge source of inspiration and hope for their country.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    I took postponed to mean they still hope to hold it in Japan...
    I think it could be either/or. Postpone and totally see if Japan can still hold it. But frankly I don't think in two weeks time they could switch countries anyways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brina View Post
    I think it would be a mistake to host World's in Korea. As much as you would like to think it wouldn't matter in the circumstances, some would definitely see it as a slap to the face for the Japanese. Especially if Yu-na wins.
    Korea is helping Japan as much and fast as possible. LNG, rescue dogs and crews, etc.

This is not the time, IMO, to talk about it. Sorry if I misread you.
    This too will pass away.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    More about postponement from patinaggio on twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/patinaggio/sta...45001532129280

Postpone. Must be hard decision for JSF & 2011WC-OC. http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/new...000426490.html
    Google translation of the article:
    World Figure Skating Championships was scheduled to kick off at the National Yoyogi Stadium in Tokyo July 21, 14, be postponed due east of the earthquake, officials found the story. Also be announced Monday afternoon.

International Skating Union was exploring the possibility of opening just before 21, seems to emphasis the impact of the first nuclear power plant accident in Fukushima. The federation said in a statement released by the 13 "have come up with recommendations to avoid traveling to Japan in many countries" and had expressed concern.

Figure World Championships, there are cases of the tournament was canceled in 1961, killing all the aircraft crashed to the U.S. team headed to the venue in Prague.

Daisuke Takahashi in the men's World Championships (graduate Hiroshi Seki) and women's Mao Asada (中京大) has won the last, which hangs in the first two consecutive stress in Japan.

The "NICE" Admin
    vCash
    Over 1,000 posts and I'm closing this thread.

Please go over the Off beaten track to continue.

There will be a new thread here when there's an official announcement regarding Worlds.

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253