Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast
    vCash

Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

an 8.9 earthquake happened in Japan, plus a huge Tsunami. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by this huge tragedy.

I was also wondering if Worlds was going to be cancelled or postponed in light of these natural disasters. Anyone know?

vCash
    No idea. But it would be very odd for it to be canceled/postponed 50 years after the last time it was canceled. *shudders*

vCash
    That question came up in the V&M thread. Right now the attention rightfully so is on getting everyone in the effected areas to safety. At least those in the other pacific rim countries will have a bit more warning time than those in Japan.

But afterward, who knows? It's such a tragedy; would the ISU still be concerned with having a figure skating competition? Even if Tokyo isn't really effected surrounding areas will be.

If Worlds was still a few weeks or a month away it might be different but it's going to take more than a week for the Japanese people to clean up and try and get their lives back together. I'm hoping that everyone stays safe and that our Japanese FSUers are okay.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    My thoughts are with the people of Japan.

But, regarding the World Championships, many months would have gone into its planning, not withstanding the number of people, organisers, athletes, fans, and reporters, who would be coming to Tokyo to see the competition.

Rescheduling at this stage with a week's notice would be impossible.

vCash
    Yeah, I agree- I'm thinking it will either be cancelled or postponed.

Hoping our Japanese FSU posters are okay!

vCash
    Unless most of the skaters are already there...Tokyo's busiest airport is mostly underwater

Prayers goes out to all of them!

EDIT: It's ALL underwater.
    Last edited by julieann; 03-11-2011 at 08:35 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Unless most of the skaters are already there...Tokyo's busiest airport is mostly underwater

Prayers goes out to all of them!
    Prayers to all.

Is that the one that is on a man-made island? My husband says he watched a special on it.

vCash
    Preliminaries are only 10 days away and I'd be surprised to see Worlds go on as planned.
    My best wishes to everyone effected by this sudden disaster.

vCash
    Oh my god.....
    I'm very concerned about Japanese safety.

vCash

Japan had an earthquake?

Do you

vCash
    Do it have any influence of Worlds? really worry people who live there Best wishes~

vCash
    I just saw the news and the reports said that other countries will be affected by tsunami as well in the region. Scary.

vCash
    It was very very terrible earthquake, specially Sendai Yuzuru Hanyu's hometown but I hear he's safe.

We are all waiting for the information about World's from Japan Figureskating Federation and ISU.
    We need time to tell you more details.

vCash
    This is horrible!! I don't think Worlds can take place as planed...maybe they can move it to an other, not affected city of Japan...or they move it to Canada or so, they may could organise it within a short time since skating is very popular there...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NONA View Post
    It was very very terrible earthquake, specially Sendai Yuzuru Hanyu's hometown but I hear he's safe.

We are all waiting for the information about World's from Japan Figureskating Federation and ISU.
    We need time to tell you more details.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    There is a thread discussing the earthquake in Japan already going in the Off The Beaten Track forum. Here is the link for the discussion.

There is also a thread here about how this will affect the World Championships.
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

vCash
    I do have a feeling that worlds will be canceled, even a delay is not very likely. With such a damage, all the media and the whole country will be focus on NOTHING else but this for at least 1 month, the aftershocks, the rescue, the clean-up, the rebuild, and how to settle down those homelesses to another city, etc. And even after that, it will be very tough for Japanese audience to sit down and enjoy a competition imo, because the pain is hard to be gone. I remember in 2008 after the serious earthquake happened in Sichuan, China, it's just so hard for us to watch even a short entertaining video clip because we don't feel like laughing at all...

Anyway, prayers to all, and wish the victims rest in peace

vCash
    New York Times link to video of tsunami via NHK TV
    http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/201...nami-in-japan/

US West coast under tsunami alert
    http://wireupdate.com/wires/15771/ts...ia-and-oregon/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    The news I'm watching at the moment says that the airport underwater is in Sendai, 300 kms. from Tokyo. So far as I know Tokyo's main airport, Narita, is fine.

What this means for Worlds still remains to be seen.

My heart goes out to the Japanese lives lost and destructed due to the earthquake and tsunami. I live in Vancouver BC and we know we will by a major quake at some time, the question is not if, but when.

Maybe Worlds will proceed - maybe not. The Canadian news I'm seeing at the moment, which is featuring Japanese reports, is very calm, clashing with the horrific images of flooding and fire.

So I just don't know whether Worlds can proceed or has to be canceled.

vCash
    IMO, the most reasonable thing to do is to postpone the Worlds until April, and use the time slot and venue booked for Team Trophy, i.e. next best alternative would be to save the Worlds and cancle the cheesefest instead.

Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast