Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Johnny Weir considering comeback and his opinion about Ryan,Lysacek and Chan

just find this interview,it will be intersting next season if we get Johnny and Plushenko comeback together then

http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2...omeback/15594/

GREENSBORO, N.C. — I caught up Sunday with Johnny Weir, the three-time U.S. figure skating champion who took some time off after the Olympics. He was in town to pick up the SKATING Magazine Readers Choice Award. The fact that he didn’t win an Olympic medal and is the most popular skater in the U.S. tells you something about how flamboyance sells in skating.

He has out a book, “Welcome to My World,” a TV series and a clothes line. He’s also a little bored watching skating on TV. That’s why he’s considering a comeback next season.

“This summer I’m going to get myself physically ready, mentally ready, and if I’m able to do it I’ll do it,” said Weir, wearing a black bolero jacket. “I won’t come back if I can’t be better than I was. I understand what my life is and what it means and everything what I’ve done so far. I’m not afraid of this. I’m not afraid of skating.”

He doesn’t think he’s too old.

“If you think about it, I didn’t start skating until I was 12,” he said. “Ryan Bradley started when he was 2 and he’s a year older than me. He’s been skating for about as long as I’ve been old. My body in that sense has more time left in it than most skaters.”

He said 2014 Sochi is there for the taking.

“I think a lot of the Grand Prix was pretty ridiculous with Patrick Chan winning so much and falling all over the place,” he said. “Last time I checked falling was a bad thing. I was really upset that watching some of the events.

“I don’t think it’s wide open. Everyone is so gifted and so talented but there’s so many things people are trying to pack into these programs and os many things they’re trying to do it takes away from what we love about the sport.”

I asked him if he’s missing an Olympic medal after two Games. He finished sixth in Turin and fifth in Vancouver.

“It’s definitely something that’s left off my resume,” he said. “World champion is left off my resume. But those are things I can’t control. You have to learn as a young skater but I learned that very clearly in Vancouver. Third place fell. Other skaters who beat me fell and I barely beat Nobunari Oda and he stopped to retie his skate.

“It’s pretty clearly I’m not politically liked or supported. So I don’t think medaling, while it’s something that pushes me and something I want, to win a medal can’t be the most important thing because I’m putting all this work and all this life’s journey in other people’s hands. You can’t do that as a human. Besides, I know how they feel about me.”

vCash
    and another one mainly about the book~

http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2...e-vibes/15596/

GREENSBORO, N.C. — Here’s more from my Johnny Weir interview. He said he thinks the judges don’t like him. In his book he admitted his homosexuality and criticized the figure skating establishment. I asked if that will make it worse for him during competitions.

“My book won’t change anything because I do discuss judges and judging and politics, especially in the United States Figure Skating federation,” he said. “It’s things that they all know. I didn’t lie about anything in my book. There are no made-up prefab stories. There’s a lot I actually took out so I wouldn’t get sued. These are all things that people already thought about me or understood themselves.”

He said he has received a positive reaction from the book.

“People love my book,” he said. “People are so behind me. I won no medal but the amount of times I’ve been congratulated for being Olympic champion, from people who don’t really watch skating and don’t know who Evan Lysacek is and who Patrick Chan is. That’s an amazing thing when they feel you’ve accomplished.”

What do you tell them?

“Thank you,” he said.

He was asked if he knows how judges feel about him, why bother coming back to competition.

“Personal pride,” he said. “Absolutely. It’s the first time since I was 12 when I’ve been able to eat and stay up late and do all these things. And it’s not that exciting. It’s not as exciting as going to the rink every day and training and running that adrenaline and feeling beautiful and feeling special. You can do something no one else in the world can. I miss that.

“But coming back would be for me.”

He did the Howard Stern Show and loved it despite some obviously awkward questions.

“Howard Stern was great,” he said. “He was very respectful of me. He didn’t push me in any way. We just talked like two grown men. We didn’t talk about dirty things. I didn’t mind Howard. Everybody was so nervous about doing Howard Stern. I was not. I’m not afraid of people. I’m not afraid of authority figures.”

vCash
    I don't see this happening. Wouldn't he have to compete at Regionals and Sectionals to get to the 2012 Nat's? He was rather pissy about having to compete at Sectionals in 2003.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    I don't see it happening. I do agree with him on Patrick Chan though.

vCash
    I think he'll be considering a comeback for as long as he can get attention for talking about it.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I think he'll be considering a comeback for as long as he can get attention for talking about it.
    exactly!

vCash
    In another recent artical,Johnny said he and his team have begun to work on a new SP,I can't find the link.comeback or not,we can see a new program at least...

vCash
    Amen to his comment about Chan in the grand prix.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Oh Johnny, there was a time when I would have given you a win with a fall too . . . when you were with a better quality coach, Priscilla, and doing interesting transition filled programs choreographed by TAT.

vCash
    When will Weir realize that under the current rules, a skater that skates a very difficult, albeit flawed routine, can out score a skater that skates a clean simple program. At the Olympics, the skaters that earned higher marks than Weir had more difficult transitions into jumps, more difficult spins, etc. Furthermore, Weir forgets that he DID NOT skate a clean long program. The spin that he botched was a required element and cutting short the number of revolutions in the spin resulted in him receiving a lower level for the spin and he also took a hit on the GOE for that element.

I used to enjoy watching Weir skate. However, his "I am the victim", "The world is against me", "I have an excuse for everyting" attitude is a big turn off. (He seems a bit narcissistic) I now find it difficult to enjoy his skating. Furthermore, IMO, a lot of Weir's skating routines lately have been quite tacky. I do not find it entertaining to see a skater paint their face, wear stupid looking costumes, strike a few poses, and slide across the ice.

What is sad is that Weir had the talent to achieve so much more in figure skating. However, he decided to play the blame game when he did not get the marks that he wanted instead of taking the feedback from the judges and making the necessary improvements in his skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    I used to enjoy watching Weir skate. However, his "I am the victim", "The world is against me", "I have an excuse for everyting" attitude is a big turn off. (He seems a bit narcissistic) I now find it difficult to enjoy his skating. Furthermore, IMO, a lot of Weir's skating routines lately have been quite tacky. I do not find it entertaining to see a skater paint their face, wear stupid looking costumes, strike a few poses, and slide across the ice.

What is sad is that Weir had the talent to achieve so much more in figure skating. However, he decided to play the blame game when he did not get the marks that he wanted instead of taking the feedback from the judges and making the necessary improvements in his skating.
    I have to agree with this. Johnny can be such a beautiful skater, but he opens his mouth and makes really dumb and not well thought out comments and it's just like . I am beyond annoyed with the "I am hated" crap, just let it go, seriously. I think everyone's moved on from the stuff that you said during the Olympics, I don't even hear about Johnny or skating anymore on most gossip shows and sites (my mom watches them, not me).

Oh and the "most popular skater in the US" comment is sort of a reach in my opinion - he is only popular because of all the negative comments he's made towards USFSA and negative-ish publicity he's gained from trashing Evan and releasing this book. I would say at this point he is one of the most well known, not necessarily the most popular or fan favorite.

vCash
    find it

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/j...a-with-johnny/

Q. After experiencing this year without the pressure of competition, would returning be a comforting “welcome home,” or an adjustment filled with sacrifices that are becoming less appealing? Or none of the above?

A. I miss competition so much. I don’t know if I’d be welcomed back in a homecoming sort of way, but I know my fans and many people in the skating community would be happy to see me out there doing what I’ve always done. Since I started skating late, my body may have a few years more to go before reaching full skating maturity, whereas many of my competitors started at age 2 and have been skating for 21 years and are still trying to keep up. My body has actually taken less years of skating beatings than many of the current skaters. I think the hardest part of returning will be getting into my strict regimen of no extracurricular activities. Right now I have 20 projects in the air at any given time, but to compete at an international level, you can only have one job, and that is skating. I look forward to trying to return. The short program music is edited already …

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I don't see this happening. Wouldn't he have to compete at Regionals and Sectionals to get to the 2012 Nat's? He was rather pissy about having to compete at Sectionals in 2003.
    Agree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luCN View Post
    just find this interview,it will be intersting next season if we get Johnny and Plushenko comeback together then
    Comeback of Plushenko? I thought ISU banned him at he can't compete anymore, something has changed about that??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    When will Weir realize that under the current rules, a skater that skates a very difficult, albeit flawed routine, can out score a skater that skates a clean simple program.
    He won't, as long as he thinks he can get more mileage out of whining about it than accepting it.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Banned Member
    vCash
    Patrick Chan will be the man to beat in Sochi so naturally everyone is taking shots at him and Patrick fell in the first competition of the season he`s doing pretty good know i would say.

vCash
    I look forward to trying to return. The short program music is edited already …
    If he's serious about coming back, he'd be better off practicing 3A's and quads, rather than working on the music...

vCash
    For a while Johnny's life and career has been 100% PR, 0% skating; this is more of the same. There's actually nothing wrong with it; it is however, to my ears, just irritating as hell. More saying anything that comes to mind to get a little attention.

He hasn't skated at an international podium level in so long and he's so far from it, and he hasn't had the work ethic or programs to rise to that level in even longer. Does he think we haven't noticed?
    Last edited by Willowway; 02-01-2011 at 03:41 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    If he's serious about coming back, he'd be better off practicing 3A's and quads, rather than working on the music...
    He already done beautiful 3A after only a week training several weeks ago,you can see it on his official youtube page.

and Johnny never needed Quads through his career.he got medals without Quads,many other skaters got medals without Quads too.Quad is good,but not necessary,especially for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I don't see it happening. I do agree with him on Patrick Chan though.
    Did Weir watch Chan's programs from Canadian Nationals last week?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPcPT...eature=related

I think if Chan continues to skate like this, Johnny needs to seriously think about his training level...he has to have consistent 3A and quads and IMHO, I just don't think Johnny will be able to up his technical to the level of Chan or some of the Japanese skaters. Chan was pretty amazing in Victoria!

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast