Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I hate to be the pessimist but I can't imagine everyone got out of the way of all of that water. There was apparently some warning but still only a few minutes. No way did everyone get to higher ground. I just hope the fatalities are minimal, considering...
    Sadly BigBO, you are probably right. Once everything is over and the water recedes we probably will see fatalities.

The tsunami watch for Hawaii is now a warning. Ugh, .

vCash
    Quake upgraded to 8.9. Scary. Hope all our FSUsers in Japan are okay (plus everyone else obviously).
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    I go to Sendai every year for snowboarding...I hope the damage is minimal and everyone is able to reach safety

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    My gods …….sending my thoughts and hopes to the citizens of Japan.

vCash
    It just gets worse. Now countries involved include South America (Peru) and Mexico. The rep from the U.S. Geological Society speaking with the Weather Channel is discussing an outside possibility that CA could be affected. It look like most of the countries in the pacific will be affected.

Isn't Austrailia is still recovering from major flooding?

Unbelievable.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I don't know much about tsunamis. Do they weaken as they travel long distances? What I mean is, as it travels the VERY long journey across the Pacific, will it become less of an issue so that if it does make it to Hawaii and then even California it may be a complete non issue? Or do they maintain their strength and size until they hit something?

This video is so scary on CNN. Some of it, if not all of it by now, is being looped so I don't know how old it is but they just showed some waters rushing into farm land and you can see vehicles fleeing. I hope they all can beat the water!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    (((All the people affected by tsunami))). We can´t control the nature.

vCash
    Hope they could make it I know it's very difficult for all the people to escape/be rescued in such a short time and such a mad situation, but those who survived, hope they could be strong enough to handle the sadness and rebuilding their homes, that's how life goes on... There were several serious earthquakes in China in the past few years, no one should ever deserve to suffer this in their lives

vCash
    Oh no, I just saw video and the water most definitely catches up to some of the vehicles. I doubt those people survived. This is so sad, I am in tears.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Our Japanese tenants are very worried.

Japan has a very sophisticated tsunami warning system but unfortunately with such a big earthquake many people would not have had a chance. I think the toll is going to be huge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I don't know much about tsunamis. Do they weaken as they travel long distances? What I mean is, as it travels the VERY long journey across the Pacific, will it become less of an issue so that if it does make it to Hawaii and then even California it may be a complete non issue? Or do they maintain their strength and size until they hit something?

This video is so scary on CNN. Some of it, if not all of it by now, is being looped so I don't know how old it is but they just showed some waters rushing into farm land and you can see vehicles fleeing. I hope they all can beat the water!
    It gains strength and can't be stopped until it hits something. It would be much more devastating to land farther away. It can be seen an if there is a warning (which there is of a few hours now), evacuations can be done, but it night unfortunately.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    It gains strength and can't be stopped until it hits something. It would be much more devastating to land farther away. It can be seen an if there is a warning (which there is of a few hours now), evacuations can be done, but it night unfortunately.
    Does it gain speed but lose magnitude?

Because I am reading now that in about an hour and a half the waves will hit the north eastern shore of Taiwan with an estimated height of 1meter.

Just saw the footage on CNN... it's spine chilling...

vCash
    There are so many tsunami alerts going on in the Pacific and a lot of them don't have the means to protect themselves.

vCash
    Taiwan is pretty close so it wouldn't have much time to built hight but I'm sure it was fast A small wall off water (10 inches) is enough to carry away a full size car.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    Does it gain speed but lose magnitude?

Because I am reading now that in about an hour and a half the waves will hit the north eastern shore of Taiwan with an estimated height of 1meter.

Just saw the footage on CNN... it's spine chilling...
    Well I am hearing that the tsunamis to hit Japan were as much as 7 and 4 meters! Hopefully that means the 1 meter will be unable to do the same kind of damage and hopefully this is true for anyone else in its wake.
    -Brian

vCash
    They are telling people to get to higher ground but on many of those islands, is there really anywhere they can go to get out of the way? BigBo, it is very hard to watch. Heartbreaking.

The tsumani is supposed to hit Hawaii at 8 am est. I don't know much about tsumanis either so hopefully it will lose magnitude over long distances.

vCash
    OMG. I don't know what to say. How scary.

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    They mentioned the place Sendai on the news and I looked it up because I've heard of it before- it turns out it's Arakawa's hometown. I hope and pray for her family's safety.
    Takeshi Honda is also from that area, I think.

vCash
    8 people confirmed dead but at this point it doesn't really matter, the total will sky rocket.

This brings back memories of September 11, 2001. I remember just staring at the TV in shock and that is what I am doing now.
    -Brian

vCash
    What is a prefecture? I'm sure I'm not spelling it right.

Is it like a US county?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    What is a prefecture? I'm sure I'm not spelling it right.

Is it like a US county?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefectures_of_Japan
    -Brian

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast