Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Does the plant require power in order to keep the coolant over the rods and prevent a meltdown? Or will the artificial coolants work even without power?

I've toured a plant once - very impressive - but beyond that, I have little knowledge of the real details of how one works.
    I think they do, and they have a triple backup system for keeping the power going. Beyond the triple backup...

"...So even in the face of a complete station blackout—you don't have any power at all—there are methods for using the steam-driven pump to continue to keep cooling going."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...uclear-reactor
    Last edited by Wiery; 03-11-2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: add link for quote

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Does the plant require power in order to keep the coolant over the rods and prevent a meltdown? Or will the artificial coolants work even without power?

I've toured a plant once - very impressive - but beyond that, I have little knowledge of the real details of how one works.
    I think once they get the temperature down, there won't be a problem until they get power back. They normally pump water through the towers where the rods are. The pumps aren't operational without power but once the rods are cooled down they won't heat back up until the plant is back in operation. Since they are heated to a very high temperature in order to generate nuclear fission and subsequent power, they don't cool down very quickly. Chernobyl resulted because the pressure reached a point it caused the entire tower to collapse and release a massive dose of radiation into the atmosphere. That happened because the tower was old and the Russians had not maintained it very well. The atmospheric radiation would have to increase by another 1000 times before there would be a real health risk.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    reports on Fox 1000x radiation level
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    reports on Fox 1000x radiation level
    What they aren't saying is that that is not a health issue because the dose level is still very, very low.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Celine82 View Post
    I'm afraid 1000 is nowhere near the final number of casualties...
    This.

vCash
    I can't believe the devastation we are watching. I am numb with shock.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    What they aren't saying is that that is not a health issue because the dose level is still very, very low.
    An hour ago, CNN had an expert on who said exactly what you said. But they still seem to by hyping the issue.
    Creating drama!

vCash
    This one's from CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapc...x.html?hpt=T1#

It seems there are many experts - Japanese and international -working on this and I am confident that they will find a solution.

It's best to not panic and wait to find out exactly what is happening, after all the details come in. I don't trust Fox news a whole lot because they tend to sensationalize things.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    An hour ago, CNN had an expert on who said exactly what you said. But they still seem to by hyping the issue.
    The *normal* dose levels in a nuclear facility have to increase by almost a million times to reach dangerous levels. Which won't happen barring a complete breach of the cooling towers. Workers don't even wear radiation protective items. Their occupational dose is less than my students who do have to wear lead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    My brother is a free spirit and likes to be on the everything is bad for you except for natural things bandwagon. He is posting links to the sensationalism articles and have friends who are out there. I asked rfisher if I could post some of her level headed responses and she kindly said yes.

I expect that there will be rants on me because I am telling them to knock off the sensationalism and be concerned about the people of Japan and elsewhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiery View Post
    I think they do, and they have a triple backup system for keeping the power going. Beyond the triple backup...
    They are on battery power now. It's their last backup.

The "NICE" Admin
    vCash
    Walked 7 hours back home from work. My legs are swollen. But that's absolutely NOTHING compared to the people living around Miyagi, Fukushima, Nagano etc.

My family and friends are alright. But I couldn't sleep at all. I want the earthquake to stop. I'm also shocked to learn that they found 200 to 300 bodies on shore, probably casualities of the first Tsunami.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MINAM View Post
    Walked 7 hours back home from work. My legs are swollen. But that's absolutely NOTHING compared to the people living around Miyagi, Fukushima, Nagano etc.

My family and friends are alright. But I couldn't sleep at all. I want the earthquake to stop. I'm also shocked to learn that they found 200 to 300 bodies on shore, probably casualities of the first Tsunami.
    ((((MINAM)))) Could you not remain at work? I'm glad you and your family and friends are OK.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbny View Post
    They are on battery power now. It's their last backup.
    They're bringing in replacement diesel generators, but the clock is ticking.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash

Phew, glad to hear from you MINAM! My friend in Tokyo is still sitting tight in her office, 14 hours after being stranded there by the earthquake. It's hard to sleep and her stomach hurts since all she's had is beer and ramen. But she chose to stay at work rather than walk the 9.5 hours back home.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    This is still far from being a health risk. It's very, very low dose. This is not a panic situation. People freak out about radiation.
    I'll say! My dad freaks out about me being around radiation at work, but in school I just worked with tritium and here we work with potassium32, which you can block with a thin piece of acrylic.

Still, hope they get the cooling fixed so they just have one less thing to worry about.

vCash
    Can't even begin to think about the consumable items, water, food, etc, that people will need. I take it for granted that I can go to my refrig and get food/water. And my medications - if I was stuck in an office building or car or anywhere, I wouldn't have them. Someone said it was like 9/11 - just a feeling of hopelessness for the people in Japan and others in the wake of this disaster.

vCash

(((((((Minam))))))

That sounds awful, but I am glad you are safe.

vCash
    (((MINAM))) Thank God you and your loved ones are all right.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Prick Admin
    vCash
    In 1995, I was an exchange student in Osaka. On 17 January, I woke up at 5:41am and wondering why I was awake. At 5:46am what became known as the Great Hanshin earthquake struck not far from where I was.

Yesterday morning I woke here in Ireland at 5:46am exactly which 2:46pm in Japan. The time the quake struck...

Mr. allezfred's cousin who lives in Sendai left on a business trip to Tokyo yesterday morning. While she was on the 42nd floor of a building that was shaking in Tokyo, it could have been much worse.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast