Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coronation Ace

vCash
    Just get the plain Coronation Ace blade, the K-pick option widens the toepick area, to make toe jumps (allegedly) more secure. Good technique does the same thing.

If you want to be able to move the blade to the next-new boot, measure the boot end to end and that's the blade size.
    You can't make it any longer or it would be dangerous.

There's no guarantee that the new blade will fit her next-new pair of boots, you understand. It just takes one wild growth spurt or a change in boot model to put those plans aside.

vCash
    I believe my dd moved to Coronation Aces when she started working on the Axel. Before that she had GAM blades - they've changed all the names so I'm not sure what they are called now. They were just fine for all the singles and a lot less expensive. One thing about the Coronation is that we have found they hold a sharpening much better but don't count on reusing them on new boots. In 7 years of skating we have never been able to reuse blades.

Slightly OT, but when should one move on from Coronation Aces? I'd love some opinions. DD now is landing up to double flip, has landed double lutz but not at all consistently. Is it time to upgrade and to what?
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Slightly OT, but when should one move on from Coronation Aces? I'd love some opinions. DD now is landing up to double flip, has landed double lutz but not at all consistently. Is it time to upgrade and to what?
    I'd say it's time. She'll need something with a bigger toe pick. Gold Star, Pattern 99, Coronation Comets and Phantoms are all popular choices for mid- to high-level freestyle.

One thing to keep in mind is the radius of the Ace is 7', so she may not want to change to a 8' radius — sometimes it can affect jumps and spins. MK blades are all 7' radius. Comets are very flat (8.5'). Also look at heel stanchion height.

vCash
    Even more important than the rocker radius is the rocker profile, or shape. She can easily move up to a blade with an 8' radius as long as it has a similar rocker profile as the Coronation Ace. I went from the MK Professional (7') to MK Gold Star (7') to Wilson Gold Seal (8') and had zero adjustment on jumps and spins when switching to the Gold Seal because it had the same rocker profile as the Gold Star. But the 8' rocker on the Gold Seal made the blade feel more stable and it gave me better glide over the ice, so I can see why most advanced skaters prefer the 8' rocker.
    Of the popular 8' rocker blades, I'm not sure which one has a profile most similar to the Coronation Ace. Maybe your daughter's coach could help you compare it to the Wilson Pattern 99 and Wilson Gold Seal and see which seems closer. I would personally avoid the Coronation Comets, though; they look like they are so flat that they would be very challenging to spin on!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12