Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    This is both hilarious and inspiring at the same time! I am totally looking forward to seeing a 33-year-old Suguri competing in 2014. She'll be the Chusovitina of figure skating!

Thing is, though, to the casual fan no one would ever know she was in her thirties. She doesn't look a day over 20.

vCash
    To paraphrase uncle Dick: "Well good for you Fumie Surguri! "

vCash
    If Suguri was still very competitive like Chusovitina at her age it would make total sense for her to continue. When you are a former 3 time World medalist coming 7th annually at Nationals and 9th in your grand prixs and have no hope of ever making another World team (never mind actually being anywhear near the top 7 or 8 women in the World) and needing to beg for sponsors to dish out some chump change for you to afford to continue, that is a whole other story.

vCash
    I wish JFA would offer a job of some kind to Suguri and get her off the ice.

vCash
    I totally respect her as a skater. I disagree with the country-swapping thing. I don't think she would respect herself (no offense to country-swappers). I think her country has treated her like the U.S. has treated Alyssa. Merit for the other stuff.

The only thing that worries me is she stated she's not good at/doesn't like jumping. Even out of Japan, kind of necessary. Not good at it one thing (Sasha), not liking another.

I wish her the best. She is truly a passionate and wonderful skater. I never though Shizuku would win anything, so who knows?

vCash
    Did she qualify for funding from her placement at the last Nationals? Did she even qualify for a GP or a international in the coming season?

Good that she has a sponsor, because I honestly don't see her winning much prize money or funding otherwise. Still, IIRC she won a free skate at JPN Nats just 2 seasons ago, so never say never I guess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    I wish JFA would offer a job of some kind to Suguri and get her off the ice.
    Maybe revive the pro circuit now that there are so many internationally acclaimed skaters out of Japan?

If not have Ito and Sato as guest skaters, they can have Arakawa, Suguri, Ota, Onda, Nakano, Asada, Ando, Murakami, Suzuki etc... And on the guys side they can have Honda and the current top 3 etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Maybe revive the pro circuit now that there are so many internationally acclaimed skaters out of Japan?

If not have Ito and Sato as guest skaters, they can have Arakawa, Suguri, Ota, Onda, Nakano, Asada, Ando, Murakami, Suzuki etc... And on the guys side they can have Honda and the current top 3 etc.
    I think it's an excellent idea to revive professional skating around Japan. They draw huge audience and TV coverage to cheese fests like Japan Open and Team Competition, so market is definitely there.

Only problem would be finding adequate governing body to commission the pro circuit. I don't see JFA and IMG having interest, as they have too much stake in Olympic eligible competitions. May be Suguri could help her own cause by becoming an entrepreneur and establish the circuit her self?

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Good for Fumie. I hope to see more of her.

vCash
    I'm all for Fumie's decision to keep competing, but if she's going to, at least get some better programs.

Her programs the past 3 seasons have sucked big time choreographically.

If you're going to try for Sochi, at least give yourself a sliver of a fighting chance. Goodness knows there are numerous odds against you already; no need to put yourself at an even greater disadvantage.

If she can return to the type of programs she skated in her prime (2002-2006), then at least I'll feel like her effort is out of a geniune desire to compete, instead of a refusal to let go of the past.

vCash
    If she can move up from block competitions to nationals, and she earns international assignments, who would say no? Like any other skater, she will go as far as she can go.

vCash
    To read that Lepisto is out of worlds and Suguri aims to be in soon, is making my heart ache.
    - I really don't mean to be disrespectful, so I'll add: good for you, Fumie.

vCash
    Huh???
    What can I say........
    I wanna just say 'Wow' !!! Amazing Suguri !!

vCash
    I have enjoyed of Suguri´s skating during many years and now I´m hoping that she´ll find a job connected with skating. Apparently it´s very difficult for her to end the competitive career. Her skating career does not look promising at all, will she even get any GP-events in 2011 fall? It seems to me that it´s highly unlikely that she will succeed at the Nationals well enough to make the Japanese World team in 2012 and 2013 or to make the 2014 Olympic team.

On the other hand if she is wealthy enough to keep competing at the Nationals without getting results good enough to make any teams, that is her own choice.
    Last edited by Jaana; 03-11-2011 at 11:24 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceJunkie View Post
    This is both hilarious and inspiring at the same time! I am totally looking forward to seeing a 33-year-old Suguri competing in 2014. She'll be the Chusovitina of figure skating!

Thing is, though, to the casual fan no one would ever know she was in her thirties. She doesn't look a day over 20.

Well, IceJunkie...you get it!
    That's right, she is a chronological wonderchild....

As the demographics of figure skating continue to drift north (aka "older") there will be an appreciation for those who can give everyone above the average age "hope"....

Geezz...Alissa Czisny taught us about the possibilities for "older" skaters to make a difference if they were committed enough and had the right coaching........
    ...and she deserved every medal, accolade, and Super Bowl commercial she enjoyed as a result.

.........one BIG thing missing fom Fumie's resume is SOI or some kind of professional commitment to the entertainment and commmercial side of FS......
    ..I could be wrong....somebody slap me upside the head if I missed it, but Fumie has never been in demand from the SOI crowd...people who just want to be entertained outside of the competitive arena of figure skating....

If Fumie could get her coaching and choreography right, and I mean really RIGHT without any bullshit, just one more time, we could witness a brief comeback similar to ACzisny's.

Otherwise, this will be just another sad, humiliating, expensive career-fade-out and disappearance....

-
    Last edited by geod2; 03-11-2011 at 12:46 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    ITA! No one who loves the sport and wants to compete should be forced out by "fans" who want them to "move on".
    I hope that she achieves her goal.

vCash
    I wish she'd go back to the type of programs she had in 2003-2005. Even her 2006 SP was fantastic. Of course things have changed since then, but if she'd only get programs like that, then I think people would be more receptive to her staying on because even if she placed low, people could still enjoy her skating.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I wish she'd go back to the type of programs she had in 2003-2005. Even her 2006 SP was fantastic. Of course things have changed since then, but if she'd only get programs like that, then I think people would be more receptive to her staying on because even if she placed low, people could still enjoy her skating.
    At least better costumes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceJunkie View Post

Well, at least, Chussovitina won some World medals, even at a later age !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    More of her doesn't necesseraly mean as an amateur skater !
    I remember a very interesting and inspiring Gala routine few years ago (she played a doll). It would be better to see her doing tours instead of competitions where she is not at her best. JMO.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast