Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Fumie Suguri intends to continue competing, aiming to compete in Sochi 2014.

vCash

The NEW granny!

The only problem is, she's skating in the most competitive country in the world.

vCash
    It's too bad she couldn't switch to another country. She would be good enough to win Nats in a lot of smaller countries.

If she wants to make Sochi she'll have to skate a lot better than she did this season, but it could be done. Look at Shawn, Alissa, Ryan, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    It's too bad she couldn't switch to another country. She would be good enough to win Nats in a lot of smaller countries.
    Hardly. Based on the grand prix events she was in this year Sonia Lafuente is now a better skater than Suguri.

The girl needs to get over her crazy delusions (eg- qualifying to compete for Japan in Sochi, ROTFL), and move on with her life, be that in skating or something else.

vCash
    She was fifth in the SP at Japanese nationals and that was not that bad. But then in the FS she is having problems with doubling jumps and flutzing. At GPs she was kind of a bottom dweller.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post

If she wants to make Sochi she'll have to skate a lot better than she did this season, but it could be done. Look at Shawn, Alissa, Ryan, etc.
    They're all 3-6 years younger than Fumie is now. She'll be *33* by Sochi. That would be like if Sasha Cohen decided to come back in 2018, or if Katarina Witt had stayed reinstated and competed until 1999. Which is kind of cool, actually (if she can afford it). Have any other ladies' singles skaters competed beyond age 30? I believe Miriam Manzano was 30 in her last Worlds and Gimazetdinova just competed at Asian Games at age 30. Even Butyrskaya, Malinina, and Liashenko only competed until age 29.

vCash
    I'm speechless! I know Fumie was having some trouble finding a sponsor to continue skating, but something came through. If she shoots for 2014, she'll be able to distinguish herself by her age! Maybe some sponsors will jump aboard to see if Fumie could do it. It would make a really fun story (if she has some success in the Olympic season) or no story at all. Risky for sponsors, but I suppose that's true much of the time. Athletes, no matter their age, can always get injured.

O-

Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash
    at this thread in the trash can

Now that I think about it the only way she can get to the next olympics is by acquiring citizenship for skating in another country...otherwise her chances are zero.
    Last edited by Fallcolor; 03-10-2011 at 11:55 PM.

vCash
    Yay! I'm happy she hasn't given up on her dream! Go Fumie!

vCash
    33 year old Granny Fumie!

vCash
    i hope her the best few years she has left and a healthy one to boot!
    she was always inspiring to me pre '08
    I think she has the best flying sit spin/camel spin entrance of any lady

vCash
    Suguri's sponsor is a pharmaceutical company in Toyama. Looks like its owner is giving money out of some shared feelings toward Suguri. It's more like a personal hobby than a corporate activity. So, her results won't matter much anyway. Suguri's "skating" is turning into nothing more than her personal hobby. I'm curious if the JSF would continue funding to Suguri. She won't have any international assignments in the next season.

vCash
    Get it Fumie!

vCash
    Never quit, Fumie!

I would love to see her in Sochi, actually!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieSix View Post
    Never quit, Fumie!

I would love to see her in Sochi, actually!
    yes, it would be nice to see her in the broadcasting booth.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    I freakin Love Suguri! do it baby

vCash
    I'm not sure what her chances of making it to Sochi really are, but good for her! I'm just about how aggravated some posters seem to be about this. Fumie's a grown woman -more than old enough to know what she wants in life. And, competitive skating is not such a terrible addiction. At least she'll still look hot and way younger than her age when she does decide to retire.

Suguri's sponsor is a pharmaceutical company in Toyama. Looks like its owner is giving money out of some shared feelings toward Suguri.
    Interesting...maybe skating will be the way she gets a bf after all -despite her mother's fears .

Quote Originally Posted by RFOS
    Have any other ladies' singles skaters competed beyond age 30? I believe Miriam Manzano was 30 in her last Worlds and Gimazetdinova just competed at Asian Games at age 30. Even Butyrskaya, Malinina, and Liashenko only competed until age 29.
    Miriam just turned 31 before the 2006 Calgary Worlds. If it weren't for the whole suing the ISA/AOC mess to see whether she or Jo Carter could go to Olympics that year, her season would have turned out much better. And, I'm still hoping we haven't seen the last of Gizmo.
    Last edited by ioana; 03-11-2011 at 02:51 AM.

vCash
    She's soon going to be getting grey hair.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Maybe someone from an obscure ISU nation can marry Ms Suguri, so that she can represent Mongolia or Azerbjean.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    She was fifth in the SP at Japanese nationals and that was not that bad. But then in the FS she is having problems with doubling jumps and flutzing. At GPs she was kind of a bottom dweller.
    The Nationals judges have been very kind to Fumie for the past 4 years or so.

She's doesn't seem to be getting any "just retire already!" marks from her home judges at least, so I can see why she would continue on.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast