Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

vCash
    If Bryce is already a US citizen, Canada can't refuse to release him. Perhaps you are remembering Morgan Matthews and Leif Gislason, when the US wouldn't release Matthews to skate for Canada and Canada wouldn't release Gislason to skate for the US. In that case, neither skater had dual US / Canadian citizenship and their home countries did have the right to refuse release.

vCash
    I think Bryce find a new parter he should try skating more than 5 minutes a day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I think Bryce find a new parter he should try skating more than 5 minutes a day.
    Davison's only skating five minutes per day because he had MAJOR knee surgery in October, could not bear any weight on the leg for three months post-surgery and has just been cleared to start skating again. So the limitation is purely for medical reasons - and Davison has been quoted as saying he's spending a lot more time in the gym working on his upper body/core. Plus, the condition which resulted in the need for the surgery is degenerative, so rushing back to skating could cause further problems.

At this point, there are no guarantees that he will be able to return to competitive skating anyway, so I suspect the current focus is a lot more on making sure he has a functional knee/knee joint than on finding a new partner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ksneds View Post
    Davison's only skating five minutes per day because he had MAJOR knee surgery in October, could not bear any weight on the leg for three months post-surgery and has just been cleared to start skating again. So the limitation is purely for medical reasons - and Davison has been quoted as saying he's spending a lot more time in the gym working on his upper body/core. Plus, the condition which resulted in the need for the surgery is degenerative, so rushing back to skating could cause further problems.

At this point, there are no guarantees that he will be able to return to competitive skating anyway, so I suspect the current focus is a lot more on making sure he has a functional knee/knee joint than on finding a new partner.
    That's why I said....maybe talking about getting him a new partner is a tad premature.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    If Bryce is already a US citizen, Canada can't refuse to release him.
    Yes, they can. Citizenship is an issue only for the Olympics. It's not an issue for the ISU as being a citizen of the country where your NGB is located is not a requirement for skating in ISU events.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    The ISU requires only one partner in a team to be a citizen of the country being represented.

The issue is that if Bryce, as a US citizen, wants to skate for the US with another partner, Canada can't refuse to release him. Canada could intervene and refuse to release him if Bryce wasn't a US citizen and wanted to skate for the US with a US citizen.

vCash
    I think it's a little odd that this has become the 'Let's find a Partner For Bryce" thread, when,of the two , he's the one who may not be able to continue competitively.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    I think it's a little odd that this has become the 'Let's find a Partner For Bryce" thread, when,of the two , he's the one who may not be able to continue competitively.
    except he is the one who is publicly saying he is now looking for an elite partner so obviously he his back on track, he only just went back on the ice but got the go ahead from being strong enough off ice.. so by end of summer should be set.. so why not play along and speculate..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    The speculation would be even more interesting if the people being suggested were in fact a) elite i.e. potential top five in the world, b) an actual pairs skaters, and c) actually skating. With Bryce having been a world medallist, I can't see him settling for anything less that a skater who qualifies on all three counts. The only one suggested so far who meets those criteria is Maria Mukhortova, and like dinakt I can't see that actually happening.

As for new partners for Jessica, I'd be far more excited with a thread about new coaches for Jessica. Without that, I don't care about the 'new partners' bit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    As for new partners for Jessica, I'd be far more excited with a thread about new coaches for Jessica. Without that, I don't care about the 'new partners' bit.
    I think there's a better chance of Bryce finding an elite partner than there is of Jessica opting to seek out a new coach.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    ISU Constitution and General Regulations is the doc that is applicable, but it doesn't address explicitly whether a Federation can block a skater who holds both that citizenship and another citizenship to whose Federation s/he wants to switch.

Rule 109.2a states, "In principle, a Skater may compete only as a member of the Member of the country of which he is a citizen;", however there are exceptions:

Rule 109.2c states, "in the case of a pair or an ice dance couple, one partner at least must be a citizen of the country of the Member for which the pair or dance couple competes. The other partner may be a citizen or resident of country of any other Member."

Rule 109.2b.i: "a Skater may compete for the Member of the country of which he is not a citizen if he fulfils the following conditions:
    i) he has resided for at least one year in that country and has been permitted to compete for that Member by the National Association of the country of which he is a citizen, or he has resided for at least one year in that country and he (or his parents if he is not of age) has applied for citizenship in that country;" (emphasis mine)

I believe this means that the skater doesn't have to ask for Member permission if s/he has applied for citizenship. If this is correct, then it's hard to imagine that a skater who already has citizenship to the new country needs to get permission, but then again, this is the ISU we're talking about.

There's also a provision (109.2b.v) which allows for an exception from the ISU: If the Member refuses to release the skater per (109.2b.i), "Any denial of a request for permit by the Member submitted in accordance with sub-paragraph (i) above may be the subject of a request to the Council by involved Skater or any involved Member for exceptional permission as provided in paragraph 5 of this Rule;"

Paragraph 5 states: ""Exceptions to paragraphs 2 & 3 [waiting periods] of this Rule may be granted by the Council of the ISU, which may also enter a competitor for an event (see also Rule 115, paragraph 5 [how entries are submitted] and Rules 130 [participation rules] and 131 [entries rules]). A competitor nominated by the ISU does not count in the quota of the country of his citizenship or residence." and the ISU reserves the right to block for skater shopping.

Has this exception clause been in before, or is it new? (For example, could Morgan Matthews have applied under this?)

Then there are the "sit-out" rules: two years for singles skaters (109.2b.iii), one year for pairs and dance (109.2b.ii).
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I'm not surprised to see this news, in fact I was kind of expecting it as a strong possibility after the recent events that had happened.

They have been struggling in the World standings for the past couple of years and have had a series of accidents and injuries.

Being out for an entire season while other Canadian pairs have been passing them by in the standings this year meant it was going to be even harder for them to come back next year.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    The speculation would be even more interesting if the people being suggested were in fact a) elite i.e. potential top five in the world, b) an actual pairs skaters, and c) actually skating. With Bryce having been a world medallist, I can't see him settling for anything less that a skater who qualifies on all three counts. The only one suggested so far who meets those criteria is Maria Mukhortova, and like dinakt I can't see that actually happening.

yep I totally agree re: Bryce.. also with regards to Jessica that isn't going to be happening... any new partners for her will have to be based in Quebec which I believe was also part of the issue re her decisions...
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvyne View Post
    Audio interview with Jessica, in French

http://www.radio-canada.ca/audio-vid...03102305_1.asx

Nothing new. It looks like she will focus on singles, but she says that now that the news is out there she may get calls about potential partners.
    I wonder how many potential partners will call her when she can't really land a SBS triple jump?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    except he is the one who is publicly saying he is now looking for an elite partner so obviously he his back on track, he only just went back on the ice but got the go ahead from being strong enough off ice.. so by end of summer should be set.. so why not play along and speculate..
    Bryce said he was "throwing his name out there" for a new partner, but he also said he's going to school, rehabbing his knee, moving to Toronto and working on his coaching credentials. Seems to me he is not 100% confident he will be able to get back to an elite level. Also, who would be his pairs coach in Toronto? Or would he commute to Barrie or (god forbid) Waterloo?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    Bryce said he was "throwing his name out there" for a new partner, but he also said he's going to school, rehabbing his knee, moving to Toronto and working on his coaching credentials. Seems to me he is not 100% confident he will be able to get back to an elite level. Also, who would be his pairs coach in Toronto? Or would he commute to Barrie or (god forbid) Waterloo?
    I think he is just being realistic about a new partner. He says it won't be easy because he doesn't want to start from scratch and wants to find someone with experience who could be top 10 in the world right away. There aren't that many girls fitting his criteria out there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    I wonder how many potential partners will call her when she can't really land a SBS triple jump?
    And he has to be willing to move to Québec. Is Sébastien Wolfe done for good? I would be very suprised to see her skating pairs again and I doubt she'll have much success in singles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderblue View Post
    I think there's a better chance of Bryce finding an elite partner than there is of Jessica opting to seek out a new coach.
    barabe coaches half the canadian skaters already!

vCash
    So Bryce and Jessica plan to continue their career as pair skaters, but not together ?
    That's weird. I thought they decided to split because he was injured !

Anyway, I liked them as a pair. Not a fan, but they were pleasant to watch.

vCash
    I think it will be difficult for either one of them to continue at this point.

And as mentioned above, now that Moore-Towers & Moscovitch, Duhamel & Radford and Lawrence & Swiegers are on the way up, it may be difficult for Jessica and Bryce and their new partners to catch them.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast