Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

vCash
    Look like Jessica find patner before she split up with Bryce?
    I think Wolfe is too young for Jess. I think for pairs to made all this liftes better, when guys are older - maybe 25 years old.
    Good luck to them all.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Shocked I tell you!! Shocked to find out there was something going on behind the scenes in all of this. Just shocked to my core!!

Can you tell I watched Casablanca this morning?

I had a bad feeling about all of this and sure enough...A new partner for Jessica.

Poor Bryce did NOT deserve this.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post

Sorry dear, but I have a feeling that "partner" had been picked out prior to "break up"
    That's pretty common, actually. I suspect she's been approached many times with potential partnerships since Bryce as injured.

Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Poor Bryce did NOT deserve this.
    Poor Bryce's skating career is over as it's extremely unlikely that he'll come back from this injury. I think most people recognize this. It's too bad he doesn't and is playing the "poor me" card.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Subway View Post
    What about Tara Hancherow? The article says that Wolfe was her partner? Did this partner split up before the Dube/Wolfe partnership happened?

Hancherow was supposedly a dear friend of Jessica's. I think she's a teen-ager.

Kudos to you, lovesskating. You were correct.
    Tara and Sebastien splitted close after Nationals, somewhere in February. Sebastien thought maybe to retire from skating(that was at the beginning of March), but it seems he decided to stay!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Look like Jessica find patner before she split up with Bryce?
    I think Wolfe is too young for Jess. I think for pairs to made all this liftes better, when guys are older - maybe 25 years old.
    Good luck to them all.
    I think this only applies when skaters are still kids. Men reach their full adult height by age 20 0r 21. As long as Wolfe is at least that old, the age difference shouldn't matter in their skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quebecoise View Post
    Tara and Sebastien splitted close after Nationals, somewhere in February. Sebastien thought maybe to retire from skating(that was at the beginning of March), but it seems he decided to stay!
    Sebastien turned 21 on Feb 1st, which aged him out of juniors internationally. He's a former men's singles competitor at the senior level (8th in senior men, 2010), has excellent skating skills, and is well-prepared to move into the senior pair ranks.

Although she has lovely skating skills, Tara (who is only 15) does not come close to having senior-level jump content, either in side-by-side jumps or throws. At Nats, they used a throw double in their short program, since she rarely lands throw triples. The double axel can be a problem for her as well. At this point, she is not ready for senior pairs skating, unfortunately.

So given that Sebastien has aged out of juniors, a split is understandable.

vCash
    Good for her, she picked out a partner of her own medicore skill level, maybe they can fall on triple salchows, stalk around the ice slowly, and scowl through the program in unision. Enjoy a 9th place at Canadians for the next 3 years. Same as she would have gotten in singles probably anyway. Hopefully Bryce finds a partner of his far higher skill level and gets back on the World team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Good for her, she picked out a partner of her own medicore skill level, maybe they can fall on triple salchows, stalk around the ice slowly, and scowl through the program in unision. Enjoy a 9th place at Canadians for the next 3 years. Same as she would have gotten in singles probably anyway. Hopefully Bryce finds a partner of his far higher skill level and gets back on the World team.
    The situation seems a bit messy and, yes, Jessica has looked pretty miserable at times in recent years but you don't become a multi-time national champion, 2-time Olympian, And world bronze medalist if you're a mediocre skater.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Poor Bryce's skating career is over as it's extremely unlikely that he'll come back from this injury. I think most people recognize this. It's too bad he doesn't and is playing the "poor me" card.
    That's what I presumed to be true. He has a pretty serious bone disorder, right? The odds of him coming back at a level he'd want (top ten) aren't all that high. It doesn't seem like he and Jess were happy together at all for a good year and a half. Even when they were together, HE was talking about retirement and what kind of future he wanted as an athlete/student etc (much to the surprise of Barabe). It seems very wierd to criticize Jess for the end of this partnership. Even if you believe (like I do) that she was the lesser half, it doesn't seem necessary.

vCash
    Regardless of how they ended up together, I think that Jessica and Sebastien will have trouble breaking through Moore-Towers/Moscovitch, Duhamel/Radford, and Lawrence/Swiegers, not to mention a few others, to land on the national podium..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Regardless of how they ended up together, I think that Jessica and Sebastien will have trouble breaking through Moore-Towers/Moscovitch, Duhamel/Radford, and Lawrence/Swiegers, not to mention a few others, to land on the national podium..
    Umm, which others? Hole and Johnson? The Schultz brothers and their ever-changing partners? With Brodeur/Matatall retiring and Cody Hay seeming to have checked out of the partner search to focus on professional skating with Annabelle, Jessica and Sebastian have a good a shot as anyone else to make the National team and to get GP assignments. Maybe we should, you know, wait to see them skate before jumping to conclusions about how badly they're going to do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    That's what I presumed to be true. He has a pretty serious bone disorder, right? The odds of him coming back at a level he'd want (top ten) aren't all that high. It doesn't seem like he and Jess were happy together at all for a good year and a half. Even when they were together, HE was talking about retirement and what kind of future he wanted as an athlete/student etc (much to the surprise of Barabe). It seems very wierd to criticize Jess for the end of this partnership. Even if you believe (like I do) that she was the lesser half, it doesn't seem necessary.
    First of all, the article may well have distorted Davison's views on the split and added emotion where it didn't exist in the interview . It's very easy to twist words and take quotes out of context when converting an oral interview into an article. So, I think it's more than a tad unfair to judge Bryce purely on the article.

As to his knee- I doubt anyone, including Davison and his doctors - know his long-term prognosis yet. However, there is a wide variation between affected persons in terms of the severity of osteochrondritis dissecans. It could be that the existing bone chip was the one weak spot in Davison's knee, and that if the bone graft takes he'll be just fine. Also, from what I've read, I suspect that extended recovery time is probably more a result of the extensive surgery required to fix the bone chip, not the bone chip itself. Obviously, you have to let the graft take, but Davison's descriptions of the surgery suggested that getting to the chip location required some serious "digging", including detaching and re-attaching his quad, and essentially dislocating his femur from the knee joint.

As to Davison talking about retirement - yes he's certainly talked about his future, but in the context of the par-for-the-course "what are you going to do when you stop competing" questions that seem to pop up in just about every interview -- more so close to the Olympics, since it's not unusual for athletes to retire if they don't make the team or after the Olympic season.

And, at 25, even if he wasn't thinking of retiring in the immediate future, it's entirely natural for him to be thinking about where he might be headed, and how best to work on the transition away from competitive skating. It's hardly unusual for skaters who are still competing to take college classes, start a business or work on coaching credentials in order to build a post-skating career.

I wish both Dube and Davison the best, wherever their careers may take them - on or off the ice. But I do wonder whether Dube & Wolfe will face the same issues regarding what seems to be a less than ideal pairs coaching situation with Barabe et al.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    ITA.

And though I am not familiar with Wolfe, I'd be surprised if any male partner was comparable to Bryce. And would click with Jessica in the same way. Although Jess seemed so unhappy the past few years, she and Bryce did gel in the past and had the 'wow' factor, which is the exception to the norm in pairs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OlieRow View Post
    The situation seems a bit messy and, yes, Jessica has looked pretty miserable at times in recent years but you don't become a multi-time national champion, 2-time Olympian, And world bronze medalist if you're a mediocre skater.
    At the time she won her World bronze she was an excellent pairs skater. She has disintegrated bit by bit since then with a seemingly poor attitude amongst other factors.

vCash
    She has disintegrated bit by bit since then with a seemingly poor attitude amongst other factors.
    How is a "poor attitude" accounted for in judging?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Umm, which others? Hole and Johnson? The Schultz brothers and their ever-changing partners? With Brodeur/Matatall retiring and Cody Hay seeming to have checked out of the partner search to focus on professional skating with Annabelle, Jessica and Sebastian have a good a shot as anyone else to make the National team and to get GP assignments. Maybe we should, you know, wait to see them skate before jumping to conclusions about how badly they're going to do.
    How would they get GP assignments (other than of course Skate Canada)? Dube/Davison didn't skate this year, so I don't think the 'new partnership with a previously high-profile skater' rule applies. Does that rule take into account more than the previous season?

I don't think they're going to do badly. On the other hand, I think you're underestimating some of their competitors. I expect Hole/Johnson to come back much stronger next season, Noemie Arseneualt/Simon-Pierre Cote improved a lot and may do quite well next season if they continue to improve at the same rate, the new partnership of katie Bobak/Ian Beharry could potentially be pretty good, and I wouldn't dismiss Natasha Purich/Raymond Schultz quite so lightly. Unlike Jessica, she can at least land her jumps, and is potentially a spectacular pair skater with a bit more experience.
    Last edited by geoskate; 04-19-2011 at 02:29 AM. Reason: New partnership is Bobak/Beharry, not Bobak/Penasse - posting too late at night.

vCash
    At the time she won her World bronze she was an excellent pairs skater. She has disintegrated bit by bit since then with a seemingly poor attitude amongst other factors.
    She has appeared unhappy but that might have been because she was struggling to as a skater, not necessarily because her relationship with Bryce was an issue.

And being unhappy is not the same as exhibiting a poor attitude.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    How would they get GP assignments (other than of course Skate Canada)?

I don't think they're going to do badly. On the other hand, I think you're underestimating some of their competitors. I expect Hole/Johnson to come back much stronger next season, Noemie Arseneualt/Simon-Pierre Cote improved a lot and may do quite well next season if they continue to improve at the same rate, the new partnership of katie Bobak/Matthew Penasse could potentially be pretty good, and I wouldn't dismiss Natasha Purich/Raymond Schultz quite so lightly. Unlike Jessica, she can at least land her jumps, and is potentially a spectacular pair skater with a bit more experience.
    re GP events, I was thinking about Fall 2012, not 2011 (although I imagine they might be among SC's choices for Skate Canada). I was more responding to the general tendency in this thread, that I think you're continuing, of underestimating Jessica's abilities. Even in the last year that she skated competitively with Bryce, they won nationals and finished 6th at the Olympic Games. Yes, she missed (nearly) all of her salchows, but the triple twist was improved and the throw jumps were relatively solid. IMO, Hole/Johnson, Arsenault/Cote, et. al. would have to make major improvements from their national's skates to be competitive with the top teams in Canada. We have no idea how Jessica/Sebastian will look in January, but on paper they're a team with potential. Moreso, IMO, than pairs 5-10 at this year's nationals and junior teams like P/S, who are entirely untested at the senior level (and didn't really light up the international junior scene either).

vCash
    Purich & Schultz just started skating together in June 2010. They won bronze medals at both their JGP events and were 5th at Junior Worlds. I don’t know how they’ll fare in the senior ranks, but those are certainly very good results in junior international competition.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    Purich & Schultz just started skating together in June 2010. They won bronze medals at both their JGP events and were 5th at Junior Worlds. I don’t know how they’ll fare in the senior ranks, but those are certainly very good results in junior international competition.
    Those are good results for a new junior team and I certainly hope that they'll continue to improve and develop into a solid pair team in the upcoming years. However, their international scores don't suggest to me that they're about to challenge for the podium at Nationals (their jr. world's FS featured no clean SBS jumps, a double twist, and slight negative GOEs for their throws, a sal and toe). My point is that, if I'm Dube (a world medallist) and Wolfe (a guy with decent pair experience and solid triple jumps), I'm not quaking in my skates about beating P/S. Remembering that none of us have seen them skate, I would still wager that it is more likely that Dube and Wolfe will be battling it out for a podium spot than that they'll be struggling against Canada's mid-range senior teams. Hopefully we'll see many strong skates and an exciting competition come January. I just really doubt that, should they skate, Dube and Wolfe are going to be 9th.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast