Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    I should have been more specific. I thought they would be the next Canadian pairs team to win an Olympic medal; perhaps even challenge for the gold medal.
    I thought the same.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    For me.. they were my favourite Canadian pairs team, especially as juniors and first year or so senior when they really had the 'it' factor..but they certainly have so much to be proud of.

Now I hope that Bryce continues as he improved so much and assuming fully healed can continue to grow even more with a new partner??

I hope Jessica pursues her singles to see what her potential can be. I remember her as a Juvenile and Pre Novice and she was always the top in her age group but then stopped pushing the jumps to focus on her pairs moves.. perhaps with time focusing on her singles she can live up to her potential.
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Umm...they were the next big Canadian pair...

• 5 appearances at Canadian Nationals - three gold, two silver
    • 5 appearances at Worlds - top 10 all 5 times include a bronze medal
    • 2 appearances at Olympics - top 10 both times
    Thank you Peter. It’s nice to look back on everything they did accomplish. I still believed they could do more, but maybe that’s my heart talking and not my head. Nine years is a long partnership by North American standards. If they were 28 and 30 retiring at this point wouldn’t be remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by quebecoise View Post
    I thought the same. I was surprised not seeing David Pelletier in the list but Doug Ladret? Like you said, David Pelletier worked more with them than Doug...weird.
    That is odd. As recently as September they were still referring to S&P as their heroes. Doug is listed as one of their coaches on their ISU bio. Maybe someone from the PR staff at Skate Canada filled in sections for them? I noticed the list of sponsors is quite detailed.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNit View Post
    It means I don't like Jessica Dube much, and if he wants to pursue skating, I'd like to see him do it with someone else. She's been an emotional drag on him for years...in my very biased opinion.
    I couldn't agree more.

There were few things more annoying in figure skating than Jessica Dube's blank, emotionless face. She was like a drone.

Davison always seemed to be the stronger link. He was more consistent on the jumps, more expressive, had more fluidity in his movements.

I kept wishing he'd dump her for years. But then finding a partner on his level would have been extremely hard.

vCash
    HEY!!!! Let's stop bashing Skaters!!!

vCash

vCash
    “That was definitely a surprise … I thought we were going to continue skating together and working together but she had other plans so….” he said, his voice trailing off.

He said she told him nearly two months ago she wanted to move on with her life and keep up with her singles skating and possibly look for another partner.

“She said that we are having too much difficulty training together and she didn’t want to make too many changes in her life. I knew we needed a change, whether that meant a change in coaching or environment to break out old habits. She didn’t want to make any of those changes and that not skating with me was a better idea … it was definitely a shock. It was just before I was ready to go back out on the ice that she told me.”
    Yikes! So it was all Jess' decision, as many here suspected.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Yikes! So it was all Jess' decision, as many here suspected.
    He seems a little bit more blindsided then they let on afterward. I hope he moves on and find the career he wants.

vCash
    The Davison article link was posted in the Canadian Skating/Skaters news thread last night -- some of the comments:
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    Catching up with Bryce Davison...

http://www.cottagecountrynow.ca/spor...ng-on-thin-ice

Although he'd like to compete again, he acknowledges there is no guarantee that his knee condition can be fully rehabilitated. I hope he doesn't harm his long-term health by pounding that knee with jump landings. He has many other good options (returning to university, coaching, etc.) and I wish him the best for the future, regardless of which path he chooses.
    Quote Originally Posted by tapper88 View Post
    My heart breaks for Bryce when he talks about Jessica There seems to be so much hurt.
    I actually disliked the way the writer addressed that element, and was uncomfortable with the tone of the article overall. Lines like, "Davison was not by himself as he took stride after stride around the ice surface....Pain was his companion, and has been for nearly six months now..." (going on to emphasize the emotional pain of missing a season and losing his partner, more so than the physical pain of his injury...).

I can appreciate that it is very hard to deal with unexpected changes, and Bryce had hoped to continuing competing, but to be honest, I think Jessica made a good decision, given their troubled partnership over the last couple of years. I think most people had expected them to retire after the Olys.

This writer seems to be emphasizing and fostering a level of drama that is uncalled for, IMO.

vCash
    Is there anything "defining" difficulty with their training? When Jessica says to much difficulty training. That would also depend on how you Define "Difficulty".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    Poor Bryce. So sad to hear that the injury is still painful. Sending lots of healing vibes & good luck wishes his way. I hope he makes a full recovery and finds a partner who will treat him as wonderfully as he’s treated Jessica all these years.

vCash
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mag
    What I find strange is that the article appears to be saying that Bryce didn't see this coming, which could be interpreted as he didn't realize how unhappy Jessica was. I find that very hard to believe. If he really didn't realize how unhappy Jessica was, it explains a lot about why she was unhappy. It indicates a significant lack of sensitivity on Bryce's part

Reply by shutterbug (excerpt)
    Memo to male pair skaters: Sharpen your telepathic skills because you never know when you’ll be expected to read your partner’s mind. Jessica and Bryce underwent extensive couples therapy when their personal relationship ended and ongoing maintenance for some time afterward. If they don’t have excellent communication skills after all that then they should ask the psychologist for their money back. They were reportedly in constant communication during their separation. If Jessica was unhappy then it was her responsibility to speak up and see if a solution to the problem(s) could be found.
    Remember that after his injury - and subsequent surgery - Davison had to move back to Ontario to live with his parents. So at the time Dube ended the partnership, Davison had been away for 3 or 4 months. Certainly they indicated that they'd talked on the phone, but that's not nearly the same as training together day in, day out.

The comments in this article do appear to confirm my earlier speculation that the end of the partnership may have, in part, been due to Dube's reluctance to leave her home/home rink. There could be a good reason (family illness etc.) that she did/does not want leave Quebec, but it would seem that she was no longer willing to make the sacrifices needed to keep the partnership viable - whether that be moving rinks and/or changing coaches, or something else.

In the last couple of years, the pair had spent some time away working with other pairs coaches. Perhaps these were in some way try-outs for a rink/coach change, and Davison thought that Dube was opening up to other options. But then, she changed her mind during the post-injury separation. They'd probably not been apart for more than a 2-3 weeks for over 8 years - then suddenly they were apart for months. When they were in their regular training routine, as they been in for 8 years, staying together might have seemed the natural/easiest thing to do. But the separation may have finally given Dube a chance to get a feel for what life without the partnership would be like.

As an aside, I wouldn't read too much into the article. It's not well written - the direct quotes in particular, are poorly edited with a lot of missing words. People tend to drop words when they speak or impart meaning through gesture. Thus, a direct transcription of an interview can often make a person appear much less well spoken than in reality. A good writer can gently edit the direct transcription without losing the person's voice or meaning - this writer didn't appear to do any editing at all.

That said, I wouldn't doubt that Davison is going through a lot of hurt. After all, the life he's known for 8-9 years has all of a sudden changed dramatically. And with no guarantee that he'll ever be able to return to elite skating again. Though, I have no doubt that he'll land on his feet - I get the impression that he's very bright, and his French is completely fluent which is a great asset for many jobs.
    Last edited by ksneds; 04-15-2011 at 01:15 AM.

vCash
    Sorry, I am re-posting in this thread, since the discussion has moved over here.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post

Memo to male pair skaters: Sharpen your telepathic skills because you never know when you’ll be expected to read your partner’s mind. Jessica and Bryce underwent extensive couples therapy when their personal relationship ended and ongoing maintenance for some time afterward. If they don’t have excellent communication skills after all that then they should ask the psychologist for their money back. They were reportedly in constant communication during their separation. If Jessica was unhappy then it was her responsibility to speak up and see if a solution to the problem(s) could be found.
    She is not obliged to skate with him forever.

On another board I saw people saying that no teams break up after 8 years....how horrible...how could she do this to him? People were crying for him...she was so unfair - it came out of the blue. (Maybe they are being shipped as a couple, I don't know.) I'm not sure how long those posters felt she needed to stay with the partnership - 4 more years maybe, or maybe for as long as he wanted to keep on skating.

I don't think very many people here at this board would be likely to say this "came out of the blue". They've struggled for the last couple of years, haven't looked happy on the ice (especially Jessica), but managed to scrape through to the Vancouver Olys - good for them.

But look at the good side. They have won 3 Canadian titles, world bronze, they've participated in two Olympic games - a very successful career, indeed. And they have had some very special performances - 2008 Worlds and the 2010 Canadians FD to name a couple. They should be very proud of all that, but moving on at some point is inevitable and surely Bryce knows that.

Given all of their emotional (and physical) traumas, I'm not surprised that she feels she is ready for the next chapter in her life now. Sometimes you don't decide or accept that it's time to move on until an outside event forces your hand - in this case, their season off this year, which forced her to make some changes and train on her own. This probably gave her a chance to take stock, and led to her decision.

I don't see a villain here. Perhaps in a couple of years, he'll even decide that she was right.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    If Jessica was unhappy then it was her responsibility to speak up and see if a solution to the problem(s) could be found.
    How do we know she didn't? Because Bryce is saying this "came out of the blue"? Maybe that means she didn't speak up, but it just as likely could mean that he wasn't listening.

There are many reasons to think this split just didn't suddenly happen with no warning.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Forgive me if I'm wildly misunderstanding, but the impression I've derived from this and prior articles, to say nothing of their career history, is not that poor Jessica was unhappy and Bryce couldn't see it, thus she needed to end things. It's that Jessica was content with the situation as it stood, and when Bryce (quite reasonably, given their repeated issues outside of Nationals) suggested change -- change of coach, change of venue, change of, say, program elements instead of performing minor variations upon the exact same program year in and year out -- she balked. Last summer, they tried something new by working with Doug Ladret in Arizona and in their single outing after that, any new attempted elements were bombed when Jessica developed yet another physical complaint. Had Bryce not asserted a need for a shake-up, I'm not so sure Jessica would have seen any cause to split.

vCash
    Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post

(Sorry, I can't figure out how to quote a quote...)

As this was in response to my post in another thread, I will respond here. My point was that Bryce didn't need telepathic skills to see Jessica wasn't happy. If, in fact, they went through therapy, if he was at all sensitive to what was happening on the ice, he would have seen what seemed fairly clear to the rest of the world, that something was wrong. If have no idea if Jessica said anything or if they talked about it, or anything at all about their relationship. I just think it is a bit much for Bryce to say "it came out of the blue" because it so obviously didn't. Now it may be that the writer misquoted Bryce or that didn't really mean what he said. We have no way of knowing because we weren't there. I am not a huge fan of Jessica's, and if I had to guess I think she is a bit passive aggressive, but, at the same time, Bryce has always come across to me as a bit controlling. IMHO Bryce would have been better not to try to play the sympathy card. Again, IMHO, it makes him look bad.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    When you are an international level skater, you don't expect your partner to just pick up the phone & inform you she is through. It's a big decision that affects every aspect of a skater's life. Sponsorships, earning potential, living arrangements, school enrollment, etc. Usually on this level breakups are discussed at length - and are not a surprise at all. Just because Bryce knew Jessica was unhappy, doesn't mean he expected her to abruptly end the partnership while he was rehabbing from surgery. I do not blame Jessica for doing what is best for her, but I wish things had been handled differently.

vCash
    As this was in response to my post in another thread, I will respond here. My point was that Bryce didn't need telepathic skills to see Jessica wasn't happy. If, in fact, they went through therapy, if he was at all sensitive to what was happening on the ice, he would have seen what seemed fairly clear to the rest of the world, that something was wrong.
    First post after lurking for my .02

It seems fairly clear Bryce knew something was wrong and wanted to do something about it and she didn't. And how did the take on this become that the something wrong must be that Jessica was unhappy? The split happened because BRYCE was unhappy but Jessica was happy with the status quo. It is Jessica who refused to listen to Bryce and tuned out his unhappiness. The insensitivity is hers, if the blame game is to be played, if not, the case stays: She liked things as is, and common observational evidence points to her being uninterested in changing.

Despite her desultory results of the past few years outside nationals, she was content to keep things as they were. Bryce wanted to make changes. Jessica refused. What was fairly clear to the rest of the world was not Jessica's unhappiness but her stagnation as a skater and D&D's as a team. The girl herself claims to be happy on and off the ice, and appeared delighted with her Olympic experience outside the results, spending a lot of off ice time with Bryce and their families.

This team needed to change to keep going. Jessica wanted to keep going without changing. Voila - she won't skate with him anymore. She remains happily in Quebec with her childhood coach, making the same mistakes (all four salchows in her four outings as a singles skater this season). As lavenderblue said, before Bryce was injured the team spent parts of the summer outside Quebec acquiring new element difficulty but at the summer competition the new stuff didn't happen.

So. She was happy. He wasn't; she wasn't willing to take the steps needed to change. Now they're history and she can keep being happy, as she was before.

P.S. I'm not of the school that Jessica's performance on ice must mean she's unhappy. Rather, unwillingness to put in the type of focused training that leads to seriously deconstructing your mechanics and breaking old habits. In her younger years, the way she trained was enough for success. It appears she didn't grow her training habits as she matured. She likes things to stay the same.
    Last edited by Subway; 04-15-2011 at 08:09 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    As this was in response to my post in another thread, I will respond here. My point was that Bryce didn't need telepathic skills to see Jessica wasn't happy. If, in fact, they went through therapy, if he was at all sensitive to what was happening on the ice, he would have seen what seemed fairly clear to the rest of the world, that something was wrong. If have no idea if Jessica said anything or if they talked about it, or anything at all about their relationship. I just think it is a bit much for Bryce to say "it came out of the blue" because it so obviously didn't. Now it may be that the writer misquoted Bryce or that didn't really mean what he said. We have no way of knowing because we weren't there. I am not a huge fan of Jessica's, and if I had to guess I think she is a bit passive aggressive, but, at the same time, Bryce has always come across to me as a bit controlling. IMHO Bryce would have been better not to try to play the sympathy card. Again, IMHO, it makes him look bad.
    Jessica very clearly stated her intention to return to pair skating with Bryce in any written or video interview I saw between the time of Bryce’s injury and the announcement of the split. At no time was there any indication of difficulties with their training. Quite the opposite in fact, she presented as being surprisingly dependent on his support. If she was truly unhappy skating with him, it would have been the perfect opportunity to begin a graceful withdrawal from the partnership. However, as late as Canadian Nationals the CBC/bold commentary teams were still operating on the premise that she intended to continue skating with Bryce. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he was genuinely blindsided by her decision to end the partnership. Whether or not it was wise of him to play the sympathy card is up to individual interpretation.

vCash
    I think what will be more interesting is if Jessica show's up with a new partner? I have heard some very interesting rumors. If they turn out to be true then Bryce has alot of reasons to lick his wounds. I for one do believe Bryce was out maneuvered. Very unfortunate, as Bryce was one I watched in the pair team as I knew he would land his tricks.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast