View Poll Results: Whose Performance Did You Enjoy Tonight (Multiple Choice Allowed)

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ashthon Jones and/or Naima Adedapo

9 15.00%
  • Casey Abrams

33 55.00%
  • Haley Reinhart

15 25.00%
  • Jacob Lusk

9 15.00%
  • James Durbin

36 60.00%
  • Karen Rodriquez

1 1.67%
  • Lauren Alaina

2 3.33%
  • Paul McDonald

1 1.67%
  • Pia Toscano

33 55.00%
  • Scott Mccreery

22 36.67%
  • Stefano Langone

9 15.00%
  • Thia Megia

18 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cailuj365 View Post
    Hmm, after reading this criticism, I watched Jacob's last performance...and I actually really liked it. I kind of love his voice. I think he's great. At least his voice is smooth on the high notes...

...unlike Casey's where it's like this growly mess. I like him and his performance, but there were a few notes where it's just not pretty.

Naima! Loooooooved that. I think that was the most current performance/song I've seen on this entire show so far. The vocal was kind of lacking, but who cares, that would have been better than 95% of the artists at the Grammys or VMAs. The dancing and the breakdown were SWEET. If she only had some big money note to top it off, it could have been better. The high "because" after "all you need and more-oooore" would have been good enough.
    I think this is a good example of when and how vocal issues affect a person's assessment of the quality of someone's performance. Jacob even admitted to having some vocal problems the other night. People often are more likely to overlook pitch and control problems if they like the person's tone, singing style, or performing style. And what people think is a good performing and singing style is highly subjective. Jacob's style simply doesn't appeal to me, but at least he adds some variety to the show.

I don't think Naima's moves are all that great compared to many successful performers, but IMO they sure are better and more interesting than her competitors'. (There are people who love the way that Paul moves on stage, but I don't. Some people can't stand the way he sings (though I think some people may be hearing with their eyes, but I like his tone.) I wouldn't go so far as to say that Naima's vocals were better than 95% of the Grammy performers', but it was as good as some there. I'm not sure that's a good jutsification for keeping her around until the end, though, if there are people who clearly are outsinging her. If the singing isn't the major factor in this show, why bother pretending that this is a singing contest? I don't see the point in crowning someone just to autotune the heck out of them in the studio. Naima adds interest to the show, so I'm glad to keep her around until some of the boring mediocre singers are sent home.

I'm curious to know how much the producers brought in to work with the contestants are determining the arrangements. I think some contestants will benefit from the producers and some might be getting stuck with arrangements that the judges and a lot of viewers don't like. Naima's arrangement worked for her. Thia's and Stefano's? Not so much, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I'm curious to know how much the producers brought in to work with the contestants are determining the arrangements. I think some contestants will benefit from the producers and some might be getting stuck with arrangements that the judges and a lot of viewers don't like. Naima's arrangement worked for her. Thia's and Stefano's? Not so much, IMO.
    I feel that having professional help will benefit the older contestants. Those folks are used to working with/for others and, if they play their cards right, can get the most out of the experience. I worry that the younger kids will just go with the "sing it that way" not realizing that it should be a trial and error process.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    FWIW, I will buy music by Jacob. I love his style. But I buy a lot of the contestants' music. I try to support these kids as much as I can. I even have something from David Archuletta

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    FWIW, I will buy music by Jacob. I love his style. But I buy a lot of the contestants' music. I try to support these kids as much as I can. I even have something from David Archuletta
    As I said in the other thread, I love Jacob's gift. I just wish he'd give it to us in a simpler way. I must confess, I hate runs. Hate 'em with a passion, no matter how well delivered.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    We had Paul, Alaina and Karen in our bottom three. One out of three ain't bad! Actually, we might have had two if I had been able to make the poll into 13 choices. Perhaps all of the votes for Ashthon/Naima were all for Naimia? (Hope, hope, hope!)

If Lauren and Thia cry at such mild criticism, how are they ever going to handle the rest of the show and this business? It just confirms to me that the age limit should not have been lowered.
    Some would say that crying is a way to handle criticism. If we get hurt, we cry. Better to let go of the pain than hold it all in. Makes me wonder if Casey is feeling the pressure of the competition and holding it all in...until he ends up in the hospital. Meanwhile, Lauren and Thia are standing strong! (Remember, we were born with tearducts for a reason!)
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Had to add this bit from votefortheworst.com...too funny!!

VFTW pick Paul McDonald sailed through into the top 12 without touching the bottom 3, as did backup picks Naima, Casey, and well basically half the cast. The most predictable bottom 3 consisted of Karen, Haley, and Ashthon. Latino voters saved Karen, fans of anal sex saved Haley, so no one was left to save Ashthon. The judges didn't use the save and she was sent home. You know what that means? Paul McDonald is getting a caricature this weekend. You go, white boy. We're going for our 4th white guy with a guitar winner in a row. So keep up those hilarious antics, Pauly. You too, half the cast. You're making this show way more fun than it's been in a long time by taking giant dumps on the stage. Love you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Some would say that crying is a way to handle criticism. If we get hurt, we cry. Better to let go of the pain than hold it all in. Makes me wonder if Casey is feeling the pressure of the competition and holding it all in...until he ends up in the hospital. Meanwhile, Lauren and Thia are standing strong! (Remember, we were born with tearducts for a reason!)
    Yes, but crying at such minor criticism shouldn't really hurt very much. I have to admit, I'm wondering if some of the tears from Thia and Lauren and the "I sang bad. I'm sorry" stuff isn't an attempt to gain sympathy from voters. But, it could just be that they are really, really tired and, at their age, they don't know how to handle the stress better. The three who ended up in the bottom three seemed to be handling things better than Thia and Lauren.

I do think that Casey's health problems may be the result of the pressure or of being too busy to take care of his health. He tweeted that he got some blood transfusions and is feeling better. Crystal, who dealt with her own health issues last year, tweeted him and encouraged him to try to stay in the competition and not be afraid to say "no" at times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Uh yeah, I have listened to music. Real music where the person stays on key, sings the melody as written, and doesn't scream. What a concept.

Just because you like his style (I don't know what you'd call it, but I guess it is a style) doesn't mean everyone will. Even the elite & educated might not like his singing. Believe it or not.

Phenomenal? I don't think so. Even his much touted God Bless the Child made my ears bleed.

BTW, rude much?
    I'm with you!

vCash
    Had to add this bit from votefortheworst.com...too funny!!
    I have to admit, I don't get the Haley/anal connection. What am I missing?

vCash
    I think this is a good example of when and how vocal issues affect a person's assessment of the quality of someone's performance. Jacob even admitted to having some vocal problems the other night. People often are more likely to overlook pitch and control problems if they like the person's tone, singing style, or performing style. And what people think is a good performing and singing style is highly subjective. Jacob's style simply doesn't appeal to me, but at least he adds some variety to the show.
    You say this like I've never heard people trash some of my favorite singers because they don't like their tone, "shrieking," or performance style.
    I don't think Naima's moves are all that great compared to many successful performers, but IMO they sure are better and more interesting than her competitors'. (There are people who love the way that Paul moves on stage, but I don't. Some people can't stand the way he sings (though I think some people may be hearing with their eyes, but I like his tone.) I wouldn't go so far as to say that Naima's vocals were better than 95% of the Grammy performers', but it was as good as some there. I'm not sure that's a good jutsification for keeping her around until the end, though, if there are people who clearly are outsinging her. If the singing isn't the major factor in this show, why bother pretending that this is a singing contest? I don't see the point in crowning someone just to autotune the heck out of them in the studio. Naima adds interest to the show, so I'm glad to keep her around until some of the boring mediocre singers are sent home.
    I never said Naima was going to win! From the performances from last week, I only watched Casey, Jacob, Lauren, James, Pia, and Naima. Out of those six people, Naima was the most entertaining and current and did a song in a genre that I'm most interested in. I like it when people dance and sing songs less than five years old that I've actually listened to outside of Idol, okay? Does Paul dance? Maybe I should watch him... As you can see, I don't take this show very seriously, which is why I only half watch it and don't vote. :shrug:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    As I said in the other thread, I love Jacob's gift. I just wish he'd give it to us in a simpler way. I must confess, I hate runs. Hate 'em with a passion, no matter how well delivered.
    Ditto...

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
    I have to admit, I don't get the Haley/anal connection. What am I missing?
    Yeah, this confuses me too.

vCash
    The Haley/anal comments are from them saying the faces she makes while singing look like she's getting...

Crude, yes.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruss View Post
    The Haley/anal comments are from them saying the faces she makes while singing look like she's getting...

Crude, yes.

snarking for AZE
    vCash

Crude, yes.
    that quote is the first interesting thing i've heard about her
    Last edited by my little pony; 03-12-2011 at 02:37 AM.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    You say this like I've never heard people trash some of my favorite singers because they don't like their tone, "shrieking," or performance style.
    I don't know who you might be referring to.

I'm not big into screaming, but I think some screaming is better than other screaming. IMO, Adam screams better than the other Idol contestants who have screamed.

I never said Naima was going to win!
    Didn't think you did. My point was simply that, for me, "interesting" compensates only so much for vocal problems.

Does Paul dance?
    I'm not sure I would categorize it as dancing. It's kind of a combination of flapping and staggering. I don't particularly care for it. But, it's certainly different.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash

Crude, yes.
    Some AI critics also refer to this type of singing as like they are "taking a sh.." on stage - they close their eyes, scrunch up their face and even sometimes growl out their lyrics. (Which Haley does by the way, it's so affected it's embarrassing!)

I guess we've moved on from "taking a..." to "having anal sex"...

vCash
    Some AI critics also refer to this type of singing as like they are "taking a sh.." on stage - they close their eyes, scrunch up their face and even sometimes growl out their lyrics. (Which Haley does by the way, it's so affected it's embarrassing!)

I guess we've moved on from "taking a..." to "having anal sex"...
    It is cringeworthy...

vCash
    Thanks for the explanation.

Clueless American
    vCash
    Haley reminds me of Amber Corwin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love skating View Post
    Haley reminds me of Amber Corwin.
    That's it! I couldn't think who she reminds me of. Thanks.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast