Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    I have a question: Does Carroll have dartfish at his rink? If so, does he use it?

Happily succumbing to the FSU productivity virus.
    vCash
    Actually I'm more curious on how this kind of technology fits in with general coaching overall. Say can a choreographer with Dartfish replace a general all around coach without such technology?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn_girl View Post
    Mishin has worked a lot on things like this, at the ice rink he workes with his students they use some technologies to measure the speed of the skater's rotations and on jump entrances (skaters from Mishin group like Gachinski told about it on interviews), it helps to recognize the mistakes in skater's technique and fix them. That's one of the reasons why Mishin's students have clean jumps
    I find Mishin a very interesting man in that regard. He has invented a vest which will make a sound when the skaters pulls in for a jump, but they have to pull in tight enough, otherwise the vest won't sound.

I think this technology is really fascinating. I think if it can help correct poor technique that is a good thing.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DustPuppyOI View Post
    Actually I'm more curious on how this kind of technology fits in with general coaching overall. Say can a choreographer with Dartfish replace a general all around coach without such technology?
    I doubt it. I would think that at the highest elite levels, a skater would want not just a general all-around coach, but a good jumping coach, in addition to technological tools such as Dartfish.

However, I also wonder if an 'average' coach who understands, interprets and applies the technology really - not something that is so easy to do - will become a superior coach.

Was Kristy Krall known for coaching good jump technique in the past?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Sounds expensive, I wonder how much a skater/coach would have to pay.
    In the past, I know clubs/federations used to share expensive technological instruments across different sports.
    For example: figure skating and gymnastics could share, since they would both benefit.
    On countries as big as the US it would be much more practical to share between clubs than federations though.

Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Some coaches have been using DartFish which sort of does the same thing at a much lower scale. It's like those sequence of images of skater jumping presented by Chevy that aired during past Nationals.
    Quote Originally Posted by just wondering View Post
    To me, the exciting part of UD's technology is the ability to run hypothetical scenarios.
    Indeed, what captured my attention here is the "what if" part. Being able to run it on a computer is pretty amazing.
    DartFish was definitely not doing it. It was mostly image playing (overlapping images, putting images next to each other, breaking images into following static pics, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by DustPuppyOI View Post
    Definitely not DartFish. DartFish makes it easier to see things, but it's your reasoning that has to notice them. If you don't know squat about jumping, DartFish is useless.

What I'm convinced though, it that a fresh eye with a very good sense for lines and elegance could spot the technical flaws simply because they usually aren't pleasant aesthetically.

Technical coaches often don't have what it takes.
    Nor do choreographers, as "a good sense for lines" for a few static positions (basically what a jump can be bronken into) doesn't equal to devoloping a story on the music and fill the rink with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I find Mishin a very interesting man in that regard. He has invented a vest which will make a sound when the skaters pulls in for a jump, but they have to pull in tight enough, otherwise the vest won't sound.

I think this technology is really fascinating. I think if it can help correct poor technique that is a good thing.
    Ha, those things are ANNOYING!!! I was on a freestyle session a while back and could NOT for the life of me figure out what the intermittent beeping was--like one of those "low battery" beeps. It was the kid of our Russian skating director and her husband (the latter was coaching him).

vCash
    I think quite some time ago the Uni of Poitiers did a similar test with Brian.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Ha, those things are ANNOYING!!! I was on a freestyle session a while back and could NOT for the life of me figure out what the intermittent beeping was--like one of those "low battery" beeps. It was the kid of our Russian skating director and her husband (the latter was coaching him).
    Have you seen the squeaky ball technique? Where a skater tucks a squeaky rubber ball on the front of their leg in their tights just above their boot. It makes a sound if the skater is bringing their feet together. We had a skater with a leg wrap who fixed up her technique using that as one of the methods.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YukiNieve View Post
    Has anybody watched the movie Ice Princess?
    The main character was a girl who studies physics and applies
    that knowledge to jump technique for skating.

Yes, It's a Disney movie, but when I heard about things like Dart Fish first time,
    it sort of reminded me of that parabola created by a jump on the computer screen she was staring at,
    and I thought, "oh that could actually be a real thing!?".

It was unmistakenly Disneyish, but was actually a pretty good movie.
    I'm guessing a huge % of FSU has seen it.

vCash
    Armin is using the analysis, I guess?

http://twitpic.com/51yppn

It was unmistakenly Disneyish, but was actually a pretty good movie.
    I'm guessing a huge % of FSU has seen it.
    It is something that many people saw it but do not want to admit it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YukiNieve View Post
    Armin is using the analysis, I guess?

http://twitpic.com/51yppn
    The pants weren't optional
    Those are some seriously tight leggings. . .

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Those are some seriously tight leggings. . .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12