Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

vCash
    Colm playing the bishop is SO AWESOME. Perfect casting. It'll be nice to see Frances again too.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    According to that article, it seems pretty definite that Taylor Swift is Eponine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BelleBway View Post
    Colm Wilkinson and Frances Ruffelle of the original London/Broadway casts will have small roles in the movie- http://broadwayworld.com/article/Col...Movie-20120126
    Best news I've read about this in a long while!

vCash
    Colm as the Bishop! That is all sorts of shades of awesome.

They still need to get Lea Salonga in there somewhere, though. She's played Eponine and Fantine, and she needs to be in the movie!

vCash
    This movie will either be one Kick *ss movie, or it will be another "Mars Attack" . I'm hoping for the former, of course.

vCash
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    According to that article, it seems pretty definite that Taylor Swift is Eponine.
    Now, it seems Samantha Barks will play Eponine.

http://broadwayworld.com/article/BRE...Movie-20120131

SHERLOCKED
    vCash
    Cameron Mackintosh evidently went out on stage at the end of tonight's performance of Oliver! in Manchester to announce that Samantha Barks (Nancy in Oliver!) has been cast as Eponine in the film. She played Eponine on stage in London from June 2010 to June 2011. http://broadwayworld.com/article/BREAKING-NEWS

Here she is as Eponine in the 25th Anniversary Concert and with the cast in the Royal Variety performance in 2010.

I'm so glad to hear that Colm Wilkinson will play the bishop of Digne.

vCash
    I wasn't impressed with that utube performance of Barks.

vCash
    Yay! Orbitz, you have to admit it is far better than what Swift would be capable of.

Samantha Barks is very good. And is a billion times better than Swift. I wonder if Swift realized that she might not pull it off and backed out.

Though I still think that no one can compare to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjfmP...eature=related

The epilogue from the 10th Anniversary Dream Cast - a treat! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oh8H...eature=related

IN My Life/A Heart full of Love (10th Anniversary): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM1sV...eature=related
    Just reinforces why Swift cannot be Eponine.

Ruthie Henshel (Fontine) and Judy Kuhn (Cosette) were just spectacular.
    Last edited by cruisin; 02-01-2012 at 12:48 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    Now, it seems Samantha Barks will play Eponine.

http://broadwayworld.com/article/BRE...Movie-20120131
    Thanks for the link: I enjoyed her on "I'd Do Anything." Also talk about an international cast: I really look forward to this.

vCash
    Samantha is in the movie!? WHOA. Who'd have thought the cute girl from ALW's show would make it big time? I'm thrilled for her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Just reinforces why Swift cannot be Eponine.
    She's not going to be. Relax. I don't think they were ever serious about the idea at all. They never did confirm her. I'd even be willing to bet that the whole "OMG she was seen visiting Macintosh!!!!" thing was a publicity stunt.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    LOL I guess I should have said what was in my link.

I'm thrilled that it's not Swift, obviously. Although I wasn't 100% wild about Banks on the 25th Anniversary, I think she should do a good job.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    SUCH GOOD NEWS

SHERLOCKED
    vCash
    Here's a photo of her getting the news. She looked pretty surprised.

Also George Blagden has been signed to play Grantaire. A newcomer, according to the article. Anybody know anything about him?

Running from Morozov...I'm blonde, after all! IL
    vCash
    I thought I recognized Barks when I saw her in Les Mis.

vCash
    I've been reviewing the YouTube videos of both the 10th and 25th anniversary concerts and will post my comparison later.

Sorry Jonas fans, Nick Jonas ruined the 25th for me. He's not that bad in isolation; not Michael Ball by any means, but competent. His "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" was actually pretty good.

The problem is with group songs. He has absolutely no power in his voice compared to the others. When you're singing with Ramin Karimloo and Alfie Boe, you need to be powerful. Nick Jonas ruined some of my favorite songs like "One Day More" and "Red and Black" because of that.

I'm not saying this because I'm snobbish against pop stars. Nicole Scherzinger, for instance, held her own with four of the best and most powerful voices today.
    Last edited by Gazpacho; 02-21-2012 at 11:34 AM.

vCash
    Here's the first part of my 10th anniversary vs. 25th anniversary comparison of characters. Here are the major male characters.

Jean Valjean (Colm Wilkinson vs. Alfie Boe)

Vocals:

I find Alfie Boe’s voice substantially better than Colm Wilkinson’s. Not saying that Colm's voice is inadequate by any means, just that Alfie takes it to another level. If I had to use one word to describe Alfie's voice, it would be pure. If I could use one other word, it would be sublime.

Acting/interpretation:

Alfie’s Valjean is more introverted and reserved, which is fine. But I thought his Valjean was too refined. He wasn’t the rugged ex-convict but rather an erudite man. His Valjean didn’t seem to have been through all the struggles of his life. It didn’t help that Alfie is much younger than the character.

Colm portrayed Valjean in a gritty way, which I feel is more appropriate. Alfie’s “Bring Him Home”, however, was incredibly genuine and moving.

Javert (Philip Quast vs. Norm Lewis)

Vocals:

Both are fantastic. Norm makes it look more effortless, but I love Philip’s clear diction.

Acting/interpretation:

Philip’s Javert is less an evil man than a guy with a major stick up his butt. Excessively rigid and dogmatic, but I didn’t get the sense that he was driven entirely by his ego. Philip’s Javert clearly had his vulnerabilities.

Norm’s Javert, on the other hand, is not just self-righteous but self-confident. He was driven not by moral analness but by thirst for power. The moral stuff seemed like an excuse to justify his actions.

The difference between the two Javert’s is clearest in “Stars”. Philip’s Javert looks to the stars with reverence, awe, and admiration. Norm’s Javert sees them as his pals; he feels he’s as great as the stars.

I slightly prefer Philip’s interpretation because the insecurity and vulnerability make Javert’s suicide more believable. I got the feeling that Norm’s Javert would have been so self-assured and egotistical that he would have rationalized Valjean’s act in a way consistent with his prior views, for he would never admit he was wrong. At the same time, if you consider Javert to be the evil enemy, then Norm does a better job.

Although I prefer Philip’s interpretation, I have to give Norm major credit for something. When I first saw him, I was like, Javert’s black?! That totally doesn’t make sense! But almost immediately after he started, I didn’t notice his race at all. I was totally convinced that he was Javert.

Marius (Michael Ball vs. Nick Jonas)

Vocals:

No words needed. It's even more obvious in the group numbers. 10th (Michael) vs. 25th (Nick).

Acting/interpretation:

Marius is probably the hardest character to play. The actor has to portray a young naïve student, then a young man discovering the meaning of romantic love, then a grief-stricken and guilt-filled man who has seen all his friends die.

In that regard, neither Michael Ball nor Nick Jonas nail it. Michael Ball portrays the later Marius well, but his early Marius seems too robust, mature, and confident, not to mention too big for Valjean to carry! Nick Jonas physically he captures the younger Marius, but he was straining too hard to get the notes that he forgot all about the character.
    Last edited by Gazpacho; 02-23-2012 at 11:37 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    In that regard, neither Michael Ball nor Nick Jonas nail it. Michael Ball portrays the later Marius well, but his early Marius seems too robust, mature, and confident, not to mention too big for Valjean to carry!
    Well, the 10th anniversary was just that - 10 years past when Michael Ball first created the role of Marius. Yet even when he was newly in the role, at times he was a bit more robust than Colm could easily carry around (they have told amusing stories of Colm muttering to Michael under his breath that he was too heavy during the gutter scenes).

I really enjoyed your post - I sometimes get lost in the vocals and forget about the other aspects of the performance that makes it a whole. Your comparisons were enjoyable to read.
    ~DC

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast