Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

vCash
    Maybe someone can start a new thread when the movie opens or the first reviews come out?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Best xmas present this year is that that movie is coming out. So excited!
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    New trailer is out. Looks like a beautiful movie with some great singing (Samantha Barks) and some cringe-worthy singing as well (Russell Crowe). Javert's line in One Day More is one of the easiest lines to sing. If that's all he can do in One Day More, what is Stars going to be like?!?!
    I shudder. He really just needed to enunciate that more. Unless he's going for a more proper, less angry approach, but...aaaaaaaagh.

My mom is going to be sad. When we saw Les Miz on Broadway when I was a kid, she looooved our Javert. He had such a beautiful baritone.

vCash
    I never understood, why Russell Crowe? He just doesn't feel like Javert.

vCash
    When I think of someone playing Javert, I think of Alan Rickman but I don't know if he can sing?
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    When I think of someone playing Javert, I think of Alan Rickman but I don't know if he can sing?
    Oooh! As an actor - perfect! But, I don't know if he can sing either. I don't understand why they didn't get one of the Javerts from one of the anniversary performances (10'th please ). They did that for Eponine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    New trailer is out. Looks like a beautiful movie with some great singing (Samantha Barks) and some cringe-worthy singing as well (Russell Crowe). Javert's line in One Day More is one of the easiest lines to sing. If that's all he can do in One Day More, what is Stars going to be like?!?!
    Love Samantha Barks. Loved her in "I'd Do Anything," loved her in the 25th Les Miz anniversary concert.

Not loving Amanda Seyfried's voice, however.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    Me neither. It's too weak. Hilariously, she's also supposedly had "opera training" but it was probably the same kind of training that Emmy Rossum got.

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    Love Samantha Barks. Loved her in "I'd Do Anything," loved her in the 25th Les Miz anniversary concert.

Why am I not surprised at this? Barks is fabulous as she was in the stage version also. Seyfried is just dreadfully miscast here. She has neither the range, quality of tone or warmth in her voice to do the role justice. What WERE they thinking? It's like she's doing Mamma Mia in a corset and fancy frock!! Why on earth didn't they ask someone like Sierra Boggess who is also a name in the UK due to the POTO 25th anniversary concert where she was so brilliant opposite Ramin Karimloo. And while we're at it WHY is Ramin not playing Enjolras in this film???

Still haven't watched the movie version of Sweeney Todd - it's my favourite show; I performed in a pro version infornt of Sondheim himself so I cannot cope with the totally lame vocals from the principals. I really hope this amounts to more.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Still haven't watched the movie version of Sweeney Todd - It's my favourite show; I performed in a pro version infornt of Sondheim himself so I cannot cope with the totally lame vocals from the principals. I really hope this amounts to more.
    sweeney todd was my first broadway show. i take it way too seriously like i own the rights to it. i actually teared up in the movie over the bad singing.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Sierra and Ramin Maybe they are too old for these roles?

I love that they have Samantha playing Eponine.

vCash
    He has sung in a few movies. He's not the best singer, but he gets by. I don't know if he has the voice for Stars and Javert's other songs, though.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruss View Post
    He has sung in a few movies. He's not the best singer, but he gets by. I don't know if he has the voice for Stars and Javert's other songs, though.
    Do you mean Rickman?
    I think I have heard him sing before, but don't remember how he sounded.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Trying not to expect too much from the singing so that I won't be horribly disappointed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    And while we're at it WHY is Ramin not playing Enjolras in this film???
    'Cause my boy Aaron Tveit is. I've seen him twice on Broadway and he's really good. And cute.

(Okay, so he's young enough to be my . . . er . . . little brother. He's still cute.)
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Aaron Tveit is absolutely wonderful! But he does appear to have bad 80s hair from the footage?
    Alan Rickman sings in Sweeney Todd. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgUY541koiY
    Don't know that he would be the ideal Javert either but : in that preview Russel Crowe sounds even worse than I was afraid he'd sound.
    I don't understand how they got good or great singers for most of the big singing roles - and they get Russel Crowe.

vCash
    Crowe does sound a bit goofy, doesn't he?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Yes. You can find some of it on YouTube.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    I have a very bad feeling about this movie.
    I think it is going to be really bad.
    I hope and pray not though.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I was trying to get the link to the video of Brian Pockar skating in one of Toller's shows over in the thread at GSD and couldn't get to work, so had brought up the main YT page. Under my recommendations, as I've got the Official Les Mis movie channel as one of my favourites, was this...

YouTube ~ Les Miserables Wedding Flash Mob

Now *that's* one heck of a Wedding Present from your Friends. The guy who does Valjean's parts is really good.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast