Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    It can take as long as 6 weeks according to studies.
    Seriously? For a one hour time change? One that happens when the daylight schedule is shifting rapidly anyway? I can't help but think that the natural shift of sunrise and sunset has a greater impact than moving to/from DST if it's affecting people that long.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    ^This. To me, the actual sunlight has so much more importance. The time of day should follow that.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Seriously? For a one hour time change? One that happens when the daylight schedule is shifting rapidly anyway? I can't help but think that the natural shift of sunrise and sunset has a greater impact than moving to/from DST if it's affecting people that long.
    I believe the 6 weeks adjustment and it's not just daylight for me. Traveling will throw off my sleep too. I have severe insomnia and regular sleep issues and it takes me a long time to adjust to that 1 hour change. I hate DST with a passion.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    Hate adjusting to DST. Bleah.

I am on an unofficial campaign to get the continental US into FIVE time zones. I'm in Indiana, and it makes zero sense for it to be in either Central or Eastern time. We're fully an HOUR behind New England in terms of when the sun rises/sets. And with DST, it's hell trying to get your kid to sleep at a reasonable hour when the sun doesn't set until 10 pm (yes, some kids DO go to school/daycare during the summer; not everyone gets to slouch away their summer!). The clock time does not match the light time here, in other words.

vCash
    In the minority but I can't wait I'm so tired of getting off work and rushing home to take my dogs for a walk before it gets dark.

vCash
    Definitely. I know people that have Seasonal-Affect Disorder, and the change in time can throw things completely off.

When I was living with a friend who had a cat, the cat did not adjust well to the change in time/eating patterns -- big change in mood and behavior.

I think sticking with one time, DST or not, makes so much sense that it'll probably never be implemented.

vCash
    I always have a hard time with the change for at least a week, then I'm okay. It takes the cats at least that long to adjust. The thing I hate the most is having to go through the sun glare phase twice. Just when I get so I'm not totally blinded by the sun, they change the clocks and I have to get through it again! Really annoying.

There was a talk radio show I used to listen to where the guy would always complain about the time changes to and from DST. "No clock touching!" was his motto.

vCash
    It's not just sleep/wake times. You're changing the time you eat, and many folks have a shift in their medication times. My m-i-l had a really bad experience a few years ago with one of the drugs she takes. It was a time release thing, and she ended up with an extra hour on board that made her really loopy. Since then, she's kept her drug schedule according to universal time.

For me, it's the lack of daylight to gradually wake me in the morning. Yes, we go through the whole winter without it, but by this time of year, my body happily gets in synch with the sun. I'm already bummed thinking about it.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Thanks for the reminder!

Just to clarify, Saturday March 12, correct?
    Correctamongo!!!!

vCash

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Love it, yippee skippee, I get fat in the winter, so no excuses now, will be starting my outdoors walking program with DST and the beginning of Spring warmer weather.

Ditto!! I hate the winter months, and since I don't get out of work until 5:00 I get no time for taking a walk after work. if I want to walk during the week I have to do it during my lunch hour. And last summer I spent a lot of weekday evenings after work on my bicycle on the bike trails. Even when the weather is decent, I can't do that under Standard Time.

If the damn weather we've been having would get better (we got another snow/sleet storm in the last 24 hours after 95% of the snow on the ground melted away) I could be out on my bike before the end of the month, possibly even before it's officially Spring. I haven't been able to ride for 3 months due to the weather. If it hadn't been for this storm, I'd have been planning to be out this coming weekend, because it's supposed to be sunny and in the 40's.

And for those people bitching about "how dark it is under DST," gee... I seem to remember the sun streaming into my bedroom all last summer in the morning, even before 7:00 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    And for those people bitching about "how dark it is under DST," gee... I seem to remember the sun streaming into my bedroom all last summer in the morning, even before 7:00 AM.
    Guess we're on different schedules. I'm on my way to work by 7. I don't mind DST around the summer solstice as the sun's up by 5:30, but the early and late parts kill.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Guess we're on different schedules. I'm on my way to work by 7. I don't mind DST around the summer solstice as the sun's up by 5:30, but the early and late parts kill.
    I'm up by 6:30, in the shower by 6:45, and out the door by 7:45, although I am considering taking the bus to work as my job is right on the bus line, which would mean I would have to be out the door by 7:15/7:20.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Just depends on where you are in your time zone. We're still dark at 7 am for much of the DST period.

vCash
    LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Can't wait to leave work with the sun still out!!

This is the one thing I'm grateful to George W. Bush for. (He moved it up a few weeks.)

I read that morning people tend to have a more difficult time adjusting to time changes, whether it'd daylight savings or jet lag.

vCash
    I'm not a morning person at all, but I absolutely detest DST. My natural body clock seems to be on standard time, and it takes weeks for me to adjust.

Honestly, I don't care about there being more light in the evenings anyway, I'm not an outdoor person at all.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that it's this early now.

vCash
    I hate the time change we have to do twice a year here. It upsets the feeding schedule of my puppies/dogs and I feel off for at least 3 weeks each time we change. At this stage in my life, I prefer consistency. So here in Ontario, I propose we choose either DST or EST and stay there.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mpal2 View Post
    I believe the 6 weeks adjustment and it's not just daylight for me. Traveling will throw off my sleep too. I have severe insomnia and regular sleep issues and it takes me a long time to adjust to that 1 hour change. I hate DST with a passion.
    I'm exactly the same. I've become a nocturnal animal due to insomnia and the nature of my work. The switch to DST is difficult and makes me completely miserable - though I do enjoy having light longer in the day.

vCash
    Does it really screw with peoples' internal clocks? More than a day or two?
    Oh yes, it does. I will be quite draggy for about a month.

vCash
    It's always been my least favorite day of the year.

vCash
    While I don't like adjusting to the lost hour, now that I don't have to get up early for work every morning I am ready for DST, even this early in the year. Right now the sun is up and in my eyes by 7 am. By the summer solstice, even with DST you can see the sky starting to lighten up shortly after 4 am. One of the perks of being so far north. I much prefer having that daylight later on in the day. Maybe it is partially where I am located within the central timezone but I would prefer if DST time was our normal time all year round. I get so uber-depressed every fall when we lose the extra daylight in the afternoon. Nothing like going home from work in the dark for someone who feels like a borderline SADS victim.

Spring is a really really dirty ugly-looking time of the year here but I am 10x happier than in the fall and it's all because the amount of daylight is heading in the right direction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast