Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    you know, there ARE still recording artists who play live, don't autotune their voices and write good songs. And I'm pretty sure there were a couple of real stinkers that were hits Back In The Day
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Indeed. Lest we forget, faking it in music is not a new thing - just the means have changed. In the past, popular music acts regularly included extra singers and players who received no credit, and often took a back seat to "band members" who lip synced and faked the instruments.

Many very popular singers were also voices only - singing songs written by others, and often rerecording "standards" that had been done many times before. Not that I don't enjoy Ella and Rosemary and Doris, but let's just not give them a ton of originality points.

There are also thousands of one-hit wonders out there - flashes in the pan with either legitimately good or novelty songs who rode the wave of popular music (I know, I have all the compilations ).

I'm convinced that one of the reasons people refer to the good old days is that those songs - by virtue of being played and heard that much longer - are more familiar, and as is so often the case with music, associated with nostalgic times in peoples' lives. Many people will say that 80s (and much of 70s) music was crap, and there's certainly an argument for that, but to me it will always be my favourite because that's what I grew up on, and still listen to now.

And yet, while I don't even recognize the names of half the Grammy and MTV nominees, new music still amazes me. I just got the new Adele CD, and on first listen, I have to say it's one of the best things I've ever heard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Either of those would have been a much better choice than You'll Be In My Heart, which probably took all of fifteen minutes to write and score.
    I actually liked some of the instrumental songs from the Tarzan soundtrack, like Gorillas, but that probably was Mark Mancina not Phil COllins. You'll be in my Heart was so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH6UBxwCOGc

vCash

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I'm convinced that one of the reasons people refer to the good old days is that those songs - by virtue of being played and heard that much longer - are more familiar, and as is so often the case with music, associated with nostalgic times in peoples' lives.
    So... how does that apply to someone like myself, whose music collection is mostly made up of stuff released before I was even born? And only a fraction of that is stuff I heard growing up that my parents listened to.

Plus, I was in a relationship for 8 years with a guy who is a graduate of the Institute for Audio Research (pre digital era) and, since he did production and engineering work for the band he was playing in, music was a constant subject of conversation.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    you know, there ARE still recording artists who play live, don't autotune their voices and write good songs. And I'm pretty sure there were a couple of real stinkers that were hits Back In The Day
    starland vocal band had a huge hit in the 70s, cant get stinkier than that
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    So... how does that apply to someone like myself, whose music collection is mostly made up of stuff released before I was even born? And only a fraction of that is stuff I heard growing up that my parents listened to.
    I did say "one of" the reasons people like older music, and in fact suggested two reasons at the same time (repeated hearing, and nostalgia).

Of course it's possible to discover and appreciate music from any era at any point. It's also possible to appreciate something anew you might not have in the past, or no longer relate to music that might have meant a lot to you before.

Music is also a constant in our house - hubby of 26 years is an audiophile whose collection of records and CDs numbers in the thousands

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    starland vocal band had a huge hit in the 70s, cant get stinkier than that
    That was exactly the song I was thinking of when I wrote my post
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash

Smile

hubby of 26 years is an audiophile whose collection of records and CDs numbers in the thousands
    Reminds me of another ex (ex #1, from HS senior year) who has a similar collection, jazz for the most part. And this was back when we were in high school! He's a walking encyclopedia on the genre, both the music and the people who performed it.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Last night I was out at a club and they started out playing 80s music and I said, ahhhhhhhhh. And then they switched it up and moved on to current music and every. single. song. sounded the same. And every. single. chick. singing it looked the same. I was . That's when I turned to my friends and said "I don't know, I'm sure our parents thought that AC/DC sounded like Van Halen sounded like Duran Duran sounded like Journey but this crap all sounds THE SAME. There's just no room for ugly people in music anymore." And my friend said yep, there will never be another Mama Cass.

sigh....
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    That was exactly the song I was thinking of when I wrote my post
    Now see, that's one of the ones I love! It was a huge hit around the time I really started listening to music and buying records, so without even paying attention to the words at the time, I still quite like it.

For a really good nostalgia collection from the 70s, seek out the Have a Nice Day 70s box set from Rhino Records. It's all the big hits of the day, mostly one hit wonder or forgotten artists. The 80s Like, Omigod box set is equally worthwhile if you enjoyed the music of that era.

vCash
    Now see, that's one of the ones I love!
    Hey, I loved that song growing up because at the age of 8 I didn't fully understand it! But upon reflection, it's neither a well written nor a particularly well performed song.

I love dance music from the late '80s/early '90s - I have to confess a lot of it sounds the same, but somehow "Good Vibrations" is a better song than "Gonna Make You Sweat". And "Bust a Move" trumps them all because of Flea's mad bass skillz Hey, even "U Can't Touch This" is 12 tons of fun and it's basically one riff from someone else's song.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    While I love new music and get tired of listening to stuff I've listened to a thousand times before, I do think it's worse these days because the technology is so much better and cheaper and using it is so much more accepted.

But, at the same time, with the internet, there are ways for non-traditional stars to breakout without having to be noticed by the music industry so it's not all bad.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Phil responds to some of the stories:

http://www.philcollins.co.uk/us/news...s-message-phil
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Plus, I was in a relationship for 8 years with a guy who is a graduate of the Institute for Audio Research (pre digital era) and, since he did production and engineering work for the band he was playing in, music was a constant subject of conversation.
    The name of his band wasn't, by chance, the Cum Dumpsters, was it?

vCash
    BAH! There was NO good drummers after Ginger Baker!
    ((shakes boney fist at the whippersnappers))

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    There's just no room for ugly people in music anymore.
    Beth Ditto?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Yeah. Amazing what one can do after dropping speed...
    (and I loved his style)
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Cozy Powell and Roger Taylor! HATER!

vCash
    LOL! John Bonham, maybe... HATER!
    iDespes Ginger, nadie!

((still shaking boney, wrinkled fist))

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I did say "one of" the reasons people like older music, and in fact suggested two reasons at the same time (repeated hearing, and nostalgia).

Of course it's possible to discover and appreciate music from any era at any point. It's also possible to appreciate something anew you might not have in the past, or no longer relate to music that might have meant a lot to you before.

Music is also a constant in our house - hubby of 26 years is an audiophile whose collection of records and CDs numbers in the thousands
    My uncle worked for a juke box company in the 60's. He would take out the old 45's and replace them with the latest hits. He gave my dad a lot of the old 45's that came out of the juke boxes and some of the records were labled "Disc Jockey record - not for sale."

My dad gave me the collection of records (close to 500) which includes artists like Rick Nelson, The Temptations, The Righteous Bros., Chubby Checker, Smokey Robinson, The Supremes, Martha & The Vandellas, Patsy Cline, The Beatles, Dione Warwick, Roy Orbison, Elvis Presley, Fats Domino, etc.

I promised my 24 year old niece the collection including all of my records, albums, CDs. I'm just amazed that she loves all the music and wants the collection. I'm sort of glad, too, because I was wondering what would happen to the collection when I'm no longer around.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast