View Poll Results: Why do you think Tessa Virtue stopped skating in the FD at Four Continents?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • She was too injured to continue skating.

45 40.18%
  • She and Moir realized that making a mistake might cost them the title.

17 15.18%
  • Both of the above.

28 25.00%
  • She saw a Britney Spears T-shirt in the audience and quickly became too nauseated to go on.

17 15.18%
  • Other

5 4.46%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Land of Contusion

It's been a couple of weeks since this happened, of course, but I just recently read a post on another board that was questioning whether Virtue was really injured to the extent that she couldn't have continued to skate. I had never thought about that before, but I do think it's possible. So, I voted option 3 in the poll.

Actually, to clarify that option, "Both of the above" really means: "She was injured, but she could've gone on if necessary; however, that didn't seem worth it after they had just made a mistake."
    Last edited by neptune; 03-06-2011 at 10:13 AM.

vCash
    I find it hard to believe that they'd stop just because they made a mistake, which seemed like a small mistake, but then again she didn't look that hurt or upset when she skated over to Igor and Marina

vCash
    To stop just because they made a mistake sounds silly to me. I think they withdrew because of Tessa's injury.

vCash
    She's never quit before. I think it's because of a muscle spasm which can be very painful, but it also may have frightened her........whoo nose. I feel that a small mistake is not going to make her quit, but skating with acute pain would.........I think she was afraid of doing more damage. She stood there for a couple of moments not saying anything because there was a camera and mic in front of her face.....
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    I think she quit because she was in no condition to continue. She has never been one to quit before, for sure, and I doubt she would start now if the pain weren't unbearable.

vCash
    We are really bored I vote for Britney

vCash
    I think it was the injury, but I think she withdrew more because of fear than pain. If it was just pain that she had expected and was dealing with, like last season or the season before, I think she would have gone on. She looked more spooked to me. Or maybe she was having issues with nerves; we know she used to get very, very nervous before competing and it's possible that with a year off and the pressure of being reigning Olympic champs, coupled with the lack of training, the nerves overwhelmed her and she had a moment of panic. Like an anxiety attack-lite.

I'm not a psychologist, nor do I know anything at all about Tessa's situation, but I remember one of my friends from when I used to skate who had a severe injury (one that eventually caused several knee surgeries) and was never the same mentally afterwards. Her former nerves of steel turned to mush and even in training, she no longer could push herself like she used to because she was so paranoid about re-injury. She was off for so long that when she got back into working hard, her mind would send her into such an anxious state that regular training pains she wouldn't have noticed before became terrifying. She was so tense all the time, almost to the point of anxiety attacks, and she quit after about a year. And that's just one story of how injuries can screw with your head. Mine certainly did a number on me.

I think people get so concerned about the physical aspects of an injury that they forget about the mental part, which in my experience is almost always tougher to get over. You have to remember that these athletes tend to be very highly strung perfectionists that have been working for the majority of their young lives towards one goal. When you're faced with something that's out of your hands and might potentially end your career, it's scary. It's even scarier because most of these athletes are really just kids.

Whatever it is, I wish Tessa the best with her recovery. It would be incredibly unfortunate if she was forced to quit before she wanted to. It's kind of, well, disgusting to me to hear that some people think they withdrew because they messed up their twizzles. And I'm not even a fan. To be quite honest, her withdrawing because of injury is much more detrimental to Ice-Dancing Politiks than them looking a little rusty at 4CC's would be.

ETA: Can someone explain the significance of the thread title to me? I feel like a total idiot...

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    I voted "other" because I think she withdrew for psychological reasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    To be quite honest, her withdrawing because of injury is much more detrimental to Ice-Dancing Politiks than them looking a little rusty at 4CC's would be.
    That could well be true.

So far, this poll is evenly divided among the first three options. As for Britney, I heard she's terribly disappointed that she's not winning this poll. But I suppose we won't "hold it against" her.

ETA: Can someone explain the significance of the thread title to me? I feel like a total idiot...
    Here's a little hint:

Well, this is the world we live in (Oh-oh-oh),
    And these are the hands we're given (Oh-oh-oh),
    Use them and let's start trying (Oh-oh-oh),
    To make it a place worth living in.

If the above doesn't help much, you might try Googling it. And please don't wait till tomorrow--do it tonight, tonight, tonight!
    Last edited by neptune; 03-07-2011 at 02:34 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    I voted "other" because I think she withdrew for psychological reasons.
    As in fear factor?

vCash
    Considering that they guaranteed themselves no title if they quit, but still had a chance for one if they went on, that option doesn't seem to make much sense.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Considering that they guaranteed themselves no title if they quit, but still had a chance for one if they went on, that option doesn't seem to make much sense.
    Maybe they didn't think they had room for any errors. And a withdrawal by an OGM is often looked upon as less embarrassing than an outright defeat. Anyway, we're all just speculating, so maybe this discussion is leading us closer to the truth.

Title-less
    vCash
    I found the Britney Spears factor too hard to resist.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I found the Britney Spears factor too hard to resist.
    Well, we won't hold it against you either.

Isn't that how life goes? You're just walking along, minding your own business, and then Britney happens.

Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash
    Voted for, Britney bitch!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallcolor View Post
    Voted for, Britney bitch!
    OK, I've had enough--don't you dare gimme more!!!

vCash
    I voted for the first option, but my actual opinion is more like "they stopped skating because of her injury. Perhaps she could have forced herself to complete the program, but the risk of making the injury worse didn't seem worth it, especially if she felt 'off.' After all, it's only 4cc's, and a medal at 4cc's isn't worth staying home from Worlds. Better safe than sorry."

vCash
    It's simple why she quit. The Worlds are more important then 4CC so why skate through the pain and make it worse. I guarantee if she feels pain at Worlds she will probably skate though it.

vCash
    She blatantly quit because she finally realised the dress she was wearing was absolutely hideous and felt too embarrased to go on.

(In all seriousness, I hope she's OK and well for worlds. )

vCash
    Every competition is important to the skaters competing. There has been many instances of skaters injured during a program and soldiering on. It's that competitive spirit. I have no idea why Tessa stopped and we'll probably never really know. Can't imagine it was anything calculated, it just happened. It's still kinda weird, though, imo.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast