Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Never Write Them Off!

Just a reminder for those of you who would write someone off when he or she still has the ability, physical condition, and wherewithal to keep skating and to do well:

Konstantin Menshov won his first Russian National Championship this season at the age of 28. He had never finished higher than fourth at Russian Nationals.

Sarah Meier just won her first European Championship at the age of 26. She finished in 26th place at Worlds last season.

Ryan Bradley just won his first United States National Championship at the age of 27. He had not finished in the Top Three since 2007, when he won the silver medal.

Alissa Czisny just won United States Nationals at the age of 23. She finished tenth last season.

Shawn Sawyer won his first silver medal at Canadian Nationals this season at the age of 26. He had not finished in the Top Three since 2008.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    Just a reminder for those of you who would write someone off when he or she still has the ability, physical condition, and wherewithal to keep skating and to do well
    I love you for this thread! Congrats to all these recent amazing champions and inspirational stories!

vCash
    Don't forget Cynthia Phanuef, winning the Canadian title this season after a 6 year hiatus! And she also was 5th at Worlds last season, and incredibly close points-wise to winning the bronze medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    I love you for this thread!
    ^THIS! All the "is so-and-so done?" threads make me laugh. If you've followed this sport for more than five minutes, you know how many of these comeback stories there are! Just look at the guy in my username . . .
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Oh and Sarah Hughes

vCash
    Ryan Bradley -- just won his first United States National Championship at the age of 27.
    Is Ryan the oldest first-time U.S. men's champion ever, I wonder? Rudy was 26 when he won, but I can't think of an older champion who hadn't already won before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Is Ryan the oldest first-time U.S. men's champion ever, I wonder? Rudy was 26 when he won, but I can't think of an older champion who hadn't already won before.
    Todd Eldredge was 31 in when he was crowned National Champion in 2002... so probably yes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    ^THIS! All the "is so-and-so done?" threads make me laugh. If you've followed this sport for more than five minutes, you know how many of these comeback stories there are! Just look at the guy in my username . . .
    Paul Wylie had one of the greatest Cinderella stories of all time.

DickButtonFan, Sarah Hughes had not been out of the medals all during her senior career so she is not a very good example of this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    Todd Eldredge was 31 in when he was crowned National Champion in 2002... so probably yes.
    Wasn't he 30? I haven't bothered to look at how old the champions were decades ago, but it seems unlikely that someone over 27 would win for the very first time.

ETA: Never mind. Apparently Chris Christenson won for the first time in 1926 at the age of 51. He started skating when he was 39.

vCash
    Not by a long shot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Christenson

Chris I. Christenson (born in 1875 in Norway) was an American figure skater. He and his family emigrated to the United States when he was eight years old settling in Wisconsin and later in St. Paul, Minnesota. He began skating in 1914 at age 39. Christenson went to the national championships six times between 1920 and 1926. He won the United States Figure Skating Championships in 1926. He was 51 years old at the time of his win and he remains the oldest U.S. men's champion in history.

vCash
    That's amazing! There ought to be a Christenson Trophy or something in his honor!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    ^ Wow. Very impressive!

vCash
    Not by a long shot.
    Thanks to compulsory figures, I suppose.

vCash
    Back in 2008-2009, I read many times here that Joannie Rochette would never manage to win a medal at Worlds or at the Olympics. She was 23 when she won the silver in 2009.

vCash
    Oh great, another reason for Fumie to compete next year

vCash
    Wasn't he 30? I haven't bothered to look at how old the champions were decades ago, but it seems unlikely that someone over 27 would win for the very first time.

ETA: Never mind. Apparently Chris Christenson won for the first time in 1926 at the age of 51. He started skating when he was 39.
    I did 2002 - 1971 and I got 31. If his birthday is after January, then he was 30 .

vCash
    That's exactly what I was thinking this week! The revenge of the 'oldies', haha (not that I consider them that old. 28 is not OLD.) I hope Fumie wins Japanese Nationals next year!

Don't forget Joubert too, who came from way behind to win the silver at the Euros.

Let's go Anacode!!!
    vCash
    She was in the hunt for medals for many years, but Anabelle Langlois was 26 years old when she won her national title in 2008.
    Don't cry because its over...smile because it happened.

vCash
    Fabian Bourzat is 30 and Nathalie Pechalat is 27, and they'd never won anything internationally or medalled at an ISU championship (junior or senior) before this season. Dance is a bit different, of course, but it's become pretty unusual for a team to compete for so long before achieving real success.

vCash
    This thread is great!!!

Love all the skaters that are mentioned!!

Christensen is my new hero - first victory at 51, started to skate at 39, love it!!

Alexander Abt was struggling with injuries for so long, he couldn't even make the Russian team, except from 1998, when he won bronze at Euros.

But Sasha kept fighting, and in 2002 at 26, he came back with a booom, landing the quad consistently, winning silver at Euros (he should have won!) and finishing 5 th at the Olympics.

In 2003, he finally won his first (and only) national title, at 27!! Way to go

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast