Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Dance blades

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Dance blades

    Hi everyone! I'm new here, and I'm happy to have found an active skating forum! I'm looking for advice on dance blades - I'm returning to the sport after 9 years (I'm 24 now), and I'd really like to get into solo ice dance, having previously been a singles skater. I currently have Graf Galaxy boots, which I only got a year or so out of, and MK Professional Freestyle K-Pick blades. The boots I'm very happy with, but the blades will need to be replaced at some point. I never really liked jumps, so I'd much prefer to do footwork and spins now, and thus I turn to ice dance as my route back into the sport. I'd ideally like to test through solo dances, and my (possibly silly) questions are as follows:

    1. When is the right time to switch to dance blades? Should I start testing in them, or can I test through certain levels in my current blades?
    2. How is the transition?
    3. I've heard so many rave reviews of parabolics, but others have their doubts - are they significantly better?
    4. Having never previously tried dance blades, I never really thought about this being an issue until someone on a different forum suggested it, but how well do spins work on dance blades? Again, I've never tried this, but it seems that spins with a partner in ice dance have a different dynamic...? I'd still like to be able to spin.
    5. Finally, is there a model you'd really recommend?

    Thank you in advance!

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,306
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    31302
    MK Pro blades are pretty similar to Coronation Ace, which a lot of ice dancers I know use and are quite happy with.
    I don't really think dance blades vs. freestyle blades are an issue at the lower level dances (it's not clear from your post if you are starting in ice dance from the beginning or if you have already taken/tested dances). IMHO the blades you have should be fine for what you are planning to do, and when you need new blades maybe you can think about dance blades if you are doing higher-level dances by then.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    MK Pro blades are pretty similar to Coronation Ace, which a lot of ice dancers I know use and are quite happy with.
    I don't really think dance blades vs. freestyle blades are an issue at the lower level dances (it's not clear from your post if you are starting in ice dance from the beginning or if you have already taken/tested dances). IMHO the blades you have should be fine for what you are planning to do, and when you need new blades maybe you can think about dance blades if you are doing higher-level dances by then.
    Thanks so much, this is very helpful! I haven't tested any dances yet, but I really want to start ASAP.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    Posts
    1,635
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I thought the point of dance blades was for pairs who skate closely and might trip over the longer blades. If you are solo, you may not have this concern. I could be wrong though. The shorter heel could make turns quicker, but you might not need that until you get to a high level of dance.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,333
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    MK dance are just so amazing. Perfect at every moment.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    17,941
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    36617
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    I thought the point of dance blades was for pairs who skate closely and might trip over the longer blades. If you are solo, you may not have this concern. I could be wrong though. The shorter heel could make turns quicker, but you might not need that until you get to a high level of dance.
    Dance blades are designed so you won't step on the back of the heel. If you are doing outside mohawks and choctaws, then dance blades make it much easier to get tighter feet on those moves.

    So once you start doing dances like Foxtrot or Tango, the dance blades really do help.

    As for spins, I can do the same spins in dance blades as I can with freestyle blades.

    I use Coronation Dance blades which probably are not as good as something like MK Dance, but they are a good basic blade.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Dance blades are designed so you won't step on the back of the heel. If you are doing outside mohawks and choctaws, then dance blades make it much easier to get tighter feet on those moves.

    So once you start doing dances like Foxtrot or Tango, the dance blades really do help.

    As for spins, I can do the same spins in dance blades as I can with freestyle blades.

    I use Coronation Dance blades which probably are not as good as something like MK Dance, but they are a good basic blade.
    Thank you! I can definitely see how choctaws in particular would be significantly easier to do well in dance blades. I figured there might not be a difference when it came to spins, but I wanted to double check just in case. Thanks again!

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    493
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I do low-level dance with a partner and adult silver freestyle. My partner has Professionals, I have Matrix blades/I honestly think dance only blades are necessary at the highest levels. And I skate like a speed demon since I got my Matrix blades. I think the issue with the blade tails is really close holds.

  9. #9
    Shadow dancing
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A small camper in the woods.
    Posts
    16,372
    vCash
    800
    Rep Power
    25484
    I am working on the European and the Rocker Foxtrot (yes, I know two different tests but that's what I'll be competing at adult nationals in April) and I have freestyle blades - the kind with the honking big toepicks to boot. I don't really have a problem using them. My coach tested through his silvers in freestyle blades. I haven't decided when or even if I'll make the change, since I usually do both dance and freestyle in the same sessions.

    I have heard some people recommend synchro blades as being good for people who want to dance yet still want the ability to do some freestyle things (like spins).

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kanada
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,056
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I know plenty of skaters who passed all of the gold dances, and some diamonds, in freeskate blades. It can really boil down to personal preference. I did all of my dances (through gold) in synchro blades, since I was competing in synchro at the time. I also did all my skills through gold in synchro blades, and started to learn my single jumps and basic spins in them as well.

    Some high-end dance blades are slimmer than freeskate and synchro blades, which makes quick edge changes easier. Another difference is that the the synchro pick is bigger than a dance pick.

    I know skaters who can do axels in dance blades and double jumps in synchro blades. There are blades that can make certain aspects of skating easier, but essentially there's no substitute for good basic skills. Go with what you're comfortable with.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,333
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    I have heard some people recommend synchro blades as being good for people who want to dance yet still want the ability to do some freestyle things (like spins).
    My scratch spin is not worse than before with my dance blades.
    I agree that the jumps are weird, it's possible to do single jumps but it's weird. Anyway, I don't jump anymore.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    suburban hell
    Posts
    647
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Do many dancers that also do free have two pairs of skates? Dance boots with dance blades and Free boots with free blades?

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    60
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by southernskater View Post
    Do many dancers that also do free have two pairs of skates? Dance boots with dance blades and Free boots with free blades?
    Yes, many do. But the majority of freestylers who are just testing through dance never get dance blades -- it's perfectly common to pass all the golds, and even some internationals, on freestyle blades.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    suburban hell
    Posts
    647
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Is it hard to switch between the two? I've been wondering if it would save the freestyle boots and make them last longer, but dance boots are also pricey. Do dance boots take longer to break down?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •