Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg08 View Post
    I would love for Mao or Mirai to skate to Yoshiki's "Amethyst"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Tw5Y09cdA

Mai Asada skated to it for one season and I've always felt that Mao or Mirai could make great use of this beautiful music as well. Any skater who would choose music from a Miyazaki film would make an instant fan out of me.
    Wow. The music is so beautiful. I wish Mao could seek the music advice from her sister more often, because Mai has used some wonderful music.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I've suggested The River Waltz from the Painted Veil for Mirai a few posts up.
    Sorry! I missed that...but I guess great minds think alike

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    I like The King's Speech music by Desplat
    ... and of course
    Speaking Unto Nations
    I really love this Beethoven piece but all I can think of when listening to it is the climax of the 2009 Nicholas Cage film 'Knowing'

(Actually, I'm surprised it was used again so soon in a major film!)

vCash
    I loved the King's Speech as a movie, and bought the soundtrack, which is just lovely and touching. I was thrilled that Beethoven's 7th was used in the film, especially for the speech. We haven't seen the movie "Knowing," but Beethoven's 7th was also used (quite poignantly) in another personal favorite movie, "Mr. Holland's Opus" (Mr. Holland had just learned that his son is deaf, and is teaching his students about Beethoven as the symphony plays).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deedeelocks View Post
    ooh! If anyone has suggestions for Tomas, please do tell!
    He's looking for some fan input

http://www.tomasverner.com/About-Tom...C.article.aspx
    Well you've heard my suggestions before but I'll give them again (with some updates).

La Strada by Rota
    Rhapsody in Blue by Gershwin (this hasn't been done justice since Kulik, IMO... sorry Evan!)
    New World Symphony or Slavonic Dances by Dvorak (Czech roots!... Classical but powerful)
    St. Paul's Suite or Second Suite by Gustav Holst
    West Side Story by Bernstein (cliche, I know!)

Danny Elfman has also done some great movie themes (Dick Tracy, Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare Before Christmas, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc. etc.).

For some reason, I think C&tCF would fit Tomas but I don't know if he'd be Willy Wonka or Charlie! Dick Tracy is also really good as it mixes dark action hero with 30s big band (with quiet tender moments sprinkled in as well).

Edit: Depending on time, I'd be happy to burn some music onto a DVD and send them somewhere!
    Last edited by ninadel; 03-06-2011 at 12:36 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    I loved the King's Speech as a movie, and bought the soundtrack, which is just lovely and touching. I was thrilled that Beethoven's 7th was used in the film, especially for the speech. We haven't seen the movie "Knowing," but Beethoven's 7th was also used (quite poignantly) in another personal favorite movie, "Mr. Holland's Opus" (Mr. Holland had just learned that his son is deaf, and is teaching his students about Beethoven as the symphony plays).
    Obviously it's a popular symphony then! I haven't seen the other two films as yet, but have watched Knowing (a thriller) quite a number of times

Sorry for off topic ....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eusebius View Post
    I'm thinking some classic jazz! Tomas could show off his great dancing. Some of my favourite tunes:

"Giant Steps" by John Coltrane
    "So What" by Miles Davis
    "Lester Leaps In" by Lester Young
    "Desafinado" by Stan Getz & Charlie Byrd
    Thank you! I wonder why jazz seems to get the cold shoulder from figure skating. Hardly anyone uses it for competitive or show programs. I sometimes think the only jazz piece that any choreographer has ever heard of is "Take 5". While it is great, it is not the only piece of jazz music around. That's why I really appreciated Kevin Reynold's SP. A competitive program with jazz music that wasn't "Take 5".

I would love for an ice dance or pairs team to do a program to John Coltrane's and Duke Ellington's "In a Sentimental Mood". It's such a romantic piece. Perhaps Virtue and Moir could do a a FD to it?

I think "Syeeda's Song Flute" would be really good for Mirai. It's rather mischievous and fun.

I would love for any skater/team to tackle "Con Alma". It has always been one of my favorite pieces.

I second "Giant Steps". I would love to see a program to that music although I imagine it would be a very difficult program.

Fountains of Rome by Respighi would be a good piece for Alissa I think. It has an ethereal sound that I think suits Alissa's style. I think the second and fourth movement would work especially well.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    i like Ballade pour adelaine. I have no idea who I would likehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BQfJPUhPzw to see skate to it though.

vCash
    Brian Joubert would make terrific Don Juan IMO. I wouldn't use the same cut as Joannie though.
    I've been dying to see someone skate to Nocturne op. 9 no. 1. Especially a pair team.
    Volosozhar/Trankov to Black Swan PDD & Odile's variation.
    Mirai to "The Little Humpbacked Horse".
    I'd like to see Goodbye Lenin! used more, some people say it's overused but I can recall only one program to Goodbye lenin!

vCash
    "Inception" needs to be used this coming season. What a powerful soundtrack. Great for pairs, I think. Or one of the men. Would love to see one of my fave pairs try it (Lawrence/Sweigers, Evora/Ladwig).
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    I ........

• Oasis - Champagne Supernova. An anthem for my generation. Many different moods and tempos within, and it can be still used to tell a story even if cut down to 4 minutes.

• Coldplay - In My Place and Fix You. Not necessarily good program choices on their own, but if combined with each other or other Coldplay choices, one could create quite a profound and provocative program.

• Keane - Somewhere Only We Know. Another anthem for today's generation.

• Train - Hey, Soul Sister. A light-hearted song (and, along with the entire album, a San Francisco favorite ) just to show that angsty stuff isn't necessarily the only way to go. The lyrics and the way the song progresses actually provide a lot of fodder for twists, turns, and variations in the choreography.

• Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend. As made popular by Guitar Hero. Again, provides good fodder for lots of variations of the choreography, especially the guitar solos.

• Muse - Uprising. I know Shawn Sawyer did an exhibition to it, but an ice dance team could really take it to a much deeper level by mixing interesting shapes and positions with difficult footwork and twizzles.

• Kelis - A Capella. A pulsating club selection that a creative ice dance team could work with. I wouldn't mind if the team came out with equally provocative costumes as seen in the video.

• Michael Franti and Spearhead - The Sound of Sunshine. A more entertaining choice that will make people smile if done justice.

• Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out. Again, a more edgy choice, but still very danceable.

I look forward to seeing skaters, coaches, and choreographers break out of the realm of the predictable and into a whole new world of possibilities.
    several teams have skated to cold play for the sp (instrumental version obviously) have they not? and I love the mathew sweet song! man i have not heard that in ages!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    Thank you! I wonder why jazz seems to get the cold shoulder from figure skating. Hardly anyone uses it for competitive or show programs. I sometimes think the only jazz piece that any choreographer has ever heard of is "Take 5". While it is great, it is not the only piece of jazz music around. That's why I really appreciated Kevin Reynold's SP. A competitive program with jazz music that wasn't "Take 5".
    In general I think skating works better with music that has a full orchestration and isn't focused on solos.

Subtlety of sound doesn't come across well on arena speakers.

And I think the skater needs to have an especially good ear for rhythm and especially good control of the blade to match or dialogue with the musician's rhythms through the skating movement.

So big band jazz, espeically pieces designed for dancing, will generally work better for skating than small ensemble jazz pieces.

But I do think there are a handful of skaters out there who could handle the suggested pieces effectively, and Verner is indeed one of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    OH MY GOD PLEASE. Someone.

The Miyazaki movie soundtracks are AMAZING! Some Senior girl at 2010 Nationals skated to the Spirited Away soundtrack for either her FS or SP, I don't remember who. It was on TV though.
    Kristiene Gong, it was her SP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ninadel View Post
    Rhapsody in Blue by Gershwin (this hasn't been done justice since Kulik, IMO... sorry Evan!)
    It seems to have gone out of fashion a little, I haven't seen a RiB program for quite a while. All the same, it would be interesting to see if anyone can match Kulik's interpretation (although I preferred his Reprise of it two years later than his Olympic performance - the only difference between the two was that he didn't do a quad in the reprise).

...No-one, however, will ever match the epic that was the costume. GIRAFFE?!?!?!?

(If anyone can ever explain the giraffe shirt to me, please do!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by edonice View Post
    I'd love to see Davis and White skate to Radiohead's 'Go Slowly' as an exhibition piece.
    Speaking of exhibitions, I'd like to see Ryan Bradley skate to "Stacy's Mom." Although I'm not a fan of the lyrics, it's a great tune--and a fun one. I think it would suit him very well.

ETA: I just listened to that Radiohead song. I was quite impressed. Yes, that would make good music for an exhibition.
    Last edited by neptune; 03-07-2011 at 03:41 AM.

vCash
    I have always wanted someone to skate to Newsies, I had always hoped that Tim Goebel would have skated to it.

For Yana and Fedor, I would love for them to skate to some swing music, its fun and exciting. But, really I want them to skate to something really original that will just blow the judges away come next season!!!! Something technically masterful, sexy, and strong competitively. With them being a new team, what should they skate too?

What about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALfjaHF2jYY

In terms Brian Joubert, he needs to skate to something moder like his metallica program, with the choreography done by Kurt Browning.
    Brian could skate to Superman Tonight by Bon Jovi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLDOR3Fwgs8

There is one to song that Brian should skate too as more of a statement to all those who doubted him "I'm Still Here" By the Goo Goo Dollshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba1UFP186F8
    Last edited by SwingDancer; 03-07-2011 at 04:45 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    In general I think skating works better with music that has a full orchestration and isn't focused on solos.

Subtlety of sound doesn't come across well on arena speakers.

And I think the skater needs to have an especially good ear for rhythm and especially good control of the blade to match or dialogue with the musician's rhythms through the skating movement.

So big band jazz, espeically pieces designed for dancing, will generally work better for skating than small ensemble jazz pieces.

But I do think there are a handful of skaters out there who could handle the suggested pieces effectively, and Verner is indeed one of them.
    Thanks! I always wondered why we never see more skaters skating to small ensemble jazz and this makes sense.

Do you think Chan would do well skating to ensemble jazz since he has very good blade control? I really like his SP to Take 5.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    I would like to see more skaters use Japanese composer Joe Hisaishi's works. Some have been used occasionally, but not often. This is the piece I have in mind specifically: 1920: Age of Illusion.

vCash
    I've always wanted to see either a dance or pair team skate to "Soft and Gentle" from Chick Corea's album The Leprechaun. I can't imagine it being edited to fit time constraints, however, because the whole song is just perfect the way it is. I really love the changes in tempo and mood throughout the song. Guess it would have to be used as an exhibition.

Speaking of Chick Corea, how about "Spain" for one of the men? The beginning alludes to Concierto de Aranjuez and just kind of takes off from there.
    Last edited by easilydistracte; 03-08-2011 at 01:43 AM.

vCash
    I mean, I've lost track of how many times I've suggested that D/W skate to Beethoven's 7th Symphony, Mvt 2 or the Red Violin soundtrack...but I'd also love to see Mirai skate to something from the Escaflowne soundtrack. I also think the Stardust soundtrack could be fun for a young skater.

Whoever suggested Beethoven's 9th Symphony...thank you. That is just waiting to be made into an FD, IMO.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast