Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    Several people have mentioned Hisaishi, and I so want Howl's Moving Castle to be used! Beautiful music, several changes of tempo, very dancey.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Several people have mentioned Hisaishi, and I so want Howl's Moving Castle to be used! Beautiful music, several changes of tempo, very dancey.
    I have visions of vintage Hollywood or old Soviet films (the good, iconic ones) and (pre-Gaga) Johnny Weir.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I would really love to see someone skate to Prokofiev's Second Piano Concerto. Specifically, the first movement. If it is edited well, I think it could work.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Kristiene Gong, it was her SP.
    ??? She skated to flamenco music (about 24 min into the ladies Nationals SP). Her LP was Salome. Help?? Would love to hear whatever/whoever it was who skated to Spirited Away. (I heard that a JGP dance team skated to Howl's Moving Castle but couldn't find any vid, as they were too obscure ).

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Kristiene Gong skated her 2009-10 SP to "One Summer's Day" from the Spirited Away soundtrack.

Jenni Vähämaa's 2008-09 SP was to the theme from Howl's Moving Castle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    "Inception" needs to be used this coming season. What a powerful soundtrack.
    Oh yess!! Would make a great free skate.

I've always wanted to see a program - SP, probably - to the opening theme from Oshima's 'Gohatto'.

vCash
    I think "Inception" would be very nice choice for Joubert.
    I really want to see someone use music from "Les Choristes".

vCash
    I love all of the recommendations for Brian to skate to the soundtrack from INCEPTION, that would be AWESOME!!! But also what if he skated to TRON!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladida View Post
    I think "Inception" would be very nice choice for Joubert.
    You are so right!!! I wish I could see him skating to this music

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    It seems to have gone out of fashion a little, I haven't seen a RiB program for quite a while. All the same, it would be interesting to see if anyone can match Kulik's interpretation (although I preferred his Reprise of it two years later than his Olympic performance - the only difference between the two was that he didn't do a quad in the reprise).

...No-one, however, will ever match the epic that was the costume. GIRAFFE?!?!?!?

(If anyone can ever explain the giraffe shirt to me, please do!)
    I just remember when Tomas was younger some commentators (Scott & Sandra?) compared him to Kulik.

RiB is a good because it's jazzy yet classical, and would be best suited for a male skater that can portray boyish innocence and power at the same time. I think where Evan failed was that he wasn't able to pull of the boyish innocence bit (the 5 o'clock shadow greasy mechanic look doesn't help).

Maybe Michal can do this piece as well, but after American in Paris I want him to stay far far away from jazz next season. Tomas and Gershwin just seem to go together... I would assume he'd just wear a blue shirt, as blue and black are his go-to colours it seems.

vCash
    I can't have Tomas skate to something so overused as RiB... I'd have to him.
    He knows my opinion too, but of course he doesn't have to listen to that.
    "it doesn't matter if you love what you do, but that you do what you love"
    a quote Tomas Verner () gave me to think about...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    *Coldplay - In My Place and Fix You. Not necessarily good program choices on their own, but if combined with each other or other Coldplay choices, one could create quite a profound and provocative program.
    Have you ever seen Ice Theater of NY's Dare Greatly program -done to an instrumental vesion of Fix You? I saw it live at EWC last year and thought it was very effective, even on its own. I do agree it would be nice to see skaters pick more contemporary pieces, even from classical music, instead of Malaguna v.2,399,876. I though Mme White Snake, the opera, had some very pretty slow sections.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deedeelocks View Post
    Agree with this! Plus doesn't Lysacek "own" RiB? So I'm not sure it would be a smart move for any male skater to use it this soon.

Running from Morozov...I'm blonde, after all! IL
    vCash
    I've said this before, but..

I'd love to see Davis & White skate to a compilation of Fiddler on the Roof songs. "sabbath prayer","Miracle of Miracles", "Sunrise Sunset", and "Chava's song".

vCash
    I just love Fiddler on the Roof. Has it been used as a fd?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    I just love Fiddler on the Roof. Has it been used as a fd?
    I/K's FD last year had some Fiddler mixed in with the Shindler's List.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I/K's FD last year had some Fiddler mixed in with the Shindler's List.
    I didn't realize that.

vCash
    I'd like I/K to skate to "Tristan and Isolde" in a few years. Perhaps the Prelude, perhaps Liebestod. I think they have "high drama" and expressivity to pull it off.
    I alsways think of Bach for Jeremy Abbott, something like Goldberg variations, though it might not be practical for a variety of reasons. But his skating has the purity of line that has for me a direct association with "Aria" from Goldberg Variations.
    Tomas... I have to really think about it. Tomas can skate to anything, but I agree with posters above that jazz suits him perfectly. Some good jazz, 50ies- 60ies. Like Miles Davis, Stan Getz, John Coltrane... I have to think about specifics. Actually West Side Story is not a bad idea, overused though it is, it might be a good choice. Deedeelocks, if you read this- what kind of music does Tomas like himself? He is so versatile, he has to go with his preferences. One thing that stands out about him is his obvious great sense of humor, he should use it.
    I can totally see Mirai doing a " Don Quixote" program with great success.
    For years I dreamed about somebody using Chopin's g-minor Ballade... but now that Mao has a stunning EX with it, it's off the table. But Chopin is still underutilized. Concerto in e-minor can be great skating music, as can all other Ballades.

Also, they would need to be edited, but I'd love to see a short program to Schumann/ Liszt "Widming" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0StsR...&tracker=False (somebody like Alissa) and Rachmaninov's " Spring Waters" ( ballet/ orchestra version) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqvdp...&tracker=False ( Mao?)
    Last edited by dinakt; 03-10-2011 at 05:54 AM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deedeelocks View Post
    The thing is though, it's not *really* that overused and the only reason why a skater should stay away from "overused" music is if someone has done it to great justice *recently*, and I really don't think anyone has. Like Carmen, it's a really beautiful piece that's great for skating so it's a shame that people have adverse reactions because of its recognisability.

Anywho, that's why I recommended Dick Tracy because it has some "Gershwin-like" pieces but is never used. It would be great if we could find some underused Gershwin or Bernstein pieces that tick all the boxes. I was listening to Bernstein's Prelude, Fugue and Riffs which Paul Wylie skated to a few years back but it's really too agressive.

Kurt Browning skated to a lot of jazz so I'd just look at his catalogue.
    Last edited by ninadel; 03-10-2011 at 08:03 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Agree with this! Plus doesn't Lysacek "own" RiB? So I'm not sure it would be a smart move for any male skater to use it this soon.
    Bleh, Lysacek did win worlds with RiB, true. But really did anyone remember anything about this program other than the horrible costume TT put him in for most of the season?

I don't mean to be bashing Evan so much, as he's a worthy champion, but in terms of musicality and projecting to the audience Tomas can easily surpass this.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast