vCash

Stillborn baby brought back to life with ice

This is quite amazing. The baby was stillborn, but due to putting her on ice, the doctors stopped brain damage and brought her back to life.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/wor...-1226015794419
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Amazing!

vCash
    Wow. I hope she is okay in the long run.

But the headline is pretty bizarre -- big difference between chilling her down for three days -- amazing enough -- you don't have to say she was FROZEN for three days.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Whooooaaa…that is truly incredible. I'm not one to believe in miracles, but that is absolutely amazing.

vCash
    Wow!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    A STILLBORN baby was brought back from the "dead" after doctors froze her body for three days, British media reported today.

The drama began when medical staff at the Peterborough District Hospital in east England realised that Rachel Claxton's placenta had ruptured during labour last year. This had restricted baby Ella's oxygen and blood supply, with doctors working for 25 minutes to revive her before they detected a heartbeat, Metro newspaper reported.
    The headline makes it seem as if she were revived after 3 days == but it was 25 minutes after the stillbirth. Still a pretty amazing story. I recall reading about winter drowning victims who survived underwater for incredibly long periods of time because the cold temperature slowed down most body functioning, but preserved the flow of blood to the brain.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    There is a big push to medical hypothermia to be done for heart attack victims as well; it slows down the damage to the heart, and can arrest brain/neurological damage. Our "little hospital that could" finally has put together our own hypothermia protocol, and have used it on 4 patients so far with varying results (there is a wide variety of effectiveness, based on patient age, co-morbidities, etc). But the one I've done so far walked out of the hospital, completely neurologically intact and with a new pacemaker, less than a week later. It's absolutely phenomenal!
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    I need to go back to school, I thought once a brain cell died it was gone. This sounds like the damage was done and then they dropped her temp to let the brain heal. Amazing.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I remember reading a long time ago that this works best the younger the patient. For some reason their bodies respond better. That's why kids who fall into frozen rivers ice skating or sledding have a better chance of being revived.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.