Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Serena Williams recovering from pulmonary embolism

Just announced and reported.

Serena Williams is recovering at home after receiving treatment for what her agents said was a hematoma she suffered earlier this week after having treatment for a pulmonary embolism last week
    Wow, that is serious. I wish her well.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    I heard about this. I wish Serena a quick recovery. Do they know if she'll be back at all this year?

vCash
    Is this something a healthy and fit young woman would normally get?

vCash
    She just had a long plane ride...Isn't that a risk factor?

I feel terrible for her, especially after the whole deal with her injured foot. I wish her a healthy recovery and hope it's possible for her to return to tennis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    Is this something a healthy and fit young woman would normally get?
    I'm not sure what the cause of Serena's embolism was/is, but DVT (deep vein thrombosis) is a common cause. That can certainly occur in "healthy and fit" young women (long periods of sitting in one place, i.e. long airline flights are notorious for this).

ETA: I just read oleada's post -- yes, long plane flights are certainly a risk factor, which is why many/most airlines encourage some moving around exercises.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    It can also be an increased risk to "healthy and fit" young women who use birth control pills
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Yes, birth control pill and prolonged flying are among the risk factors. Please get up and stretch during long flights!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I was going to say, birth control, especially if there's any sort of history of blood issues (there are actually a long list of conditions where chemical bc is STRONGLY contraindicated--latest one, and which did it for me, is visual-aura migraines + most BC pills can significantly up stroke risk) can cause an increased risk. And long plane flights are a big risk for anyone. It's still a little odd in someone young and a non-smoker, but it can happen.

I hope she's doing all right...that's a horrible thing to have happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    It's still a little odd in someone young and a non-smoker, but it can happen.
    Yes it can -- years ago my sister's best friend suffered from DVT after being put on birth control pills -- to treat severe acne. She was only 14 or 15 at the time. Her experience (along with our family history of vein problems) was enough to scare both of my sisters and I away from the pill.

vCash
    Younger and healthier women then Serena have had them, unfortunately, and the pill is usually involved.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Scary stuff, there's no predictor? What would be the symptoms? Was she lucky they found it?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Info on PE from the Mayo clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pul...bolism/DS00429

There are tabs on the left that take you to Symptoms, Risk factors, etc.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Scary stuff, there's no predictor? What would be the symptoms? Was she lucky they found it?
    If it did start as DVT, she is very lucky that it did not kill her. I lost my grandmother to this. It was very sudden and horribly frightening, as her PE was instantly fatal.

vCash
    Poor Serena, that is so scary. Praying she'll be fine.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    I had 2 PEs in my lung a year ago. I had some minor pain in the back of my calf area that I dismissed as nothing more than having hit my leg against something.

It came on so gradually, but my breathing became marginally labored over the course of 2 weeks. I kept dismissing it as having chest congestion (it was during a very cold period in the weather). But then I got to the point where I literally couldn't climb a flight of stairs without stopping that I realized something was really wrong and got myself to the E.R. Turns out that a large blood clot was in the area of my leg where the pain was, and two pieces broke off and traveled into my lungs. I was lucky that the symptoms eventually did become pronounced.

vCash
    I wish her the best.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    I had 2 PEs in my lung a year ago. I had some minor pain in the back of my calf area that I dismissed as nothing more than having hit my leg against something.

It came on so gradually, but my breathing became marginally labored over the course of 2 weeks. I kept dismissing it as having chest congestion (it was during a very cold period in the weather). But then I got to the point where I literally couldn't climb a flight of stairs without stopping that I realized something was really wrong and got myself to the E.R. Turns out that a large blood clot was in the area of my leg where the pain was, and two pieces broke off and traveled into my lungs. I was lucky that the symptoms eventually did become pronounced.
    Bostonfan - my friend is going through the exact same thing right now. She was in an ICU for a week after they discovered the clots in her lungs.

She felt really good for the first ten days or so after she first got out of the hospital. It's been a month and now she feels completely exhausted. How long did it take for you to feel like yourself after being hospitalized?

I suspect that she might be having some trouble adjusting to the coumadin, but fatigue is not listed as a side effect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
    I suspect that she might be having some trouble adjusting to the coumadin, but fatigue is not listed as a side effect.
    She may want to ask her doctor about anemia. It's a common side effect.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    She may want to ask her doctor about anemia. It's a common side effect.
    Yup - that was the case for me. I had to go on an iron supplement regiment due to the anemia. I don't specifically recall a problem with fatique while I was getting used to the medication, except during my "time of the month" - which is brutal!

DVT runs rampant among the women in my family, so I don't know why I wasn't paying more attention to the symptoms. Due to the family history, I'm on coumadin most likely for the rest of my life. I have to get my blood drawn every three weeks (or more often if the levels are off). I'm so used to it now I don't even think about it anymore.

vCash
    Scary! I wish her a very speedy recovery and all the best to her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast