Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    I think she meant there are bound to be those who are going to use this thread to delve into their same old discussion over and over again.
    Exactly.

vCash
    Definitely Kim - the hand of god reaches down and pushes her round the rink faster than anyone who ever laced a pair of skates, or ever will

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny81 View Post
    What do you mean?
    Nobody said Ando was fast.

vCash
    Joanne Carter!!

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    The first post in the thread?

Anyway, Kostner for sure and Lepisto/Kim. Nagasu seemed faster last season but she is still up there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    The first post in the thread?

Anyway, Kostner for sure and Lepisto/Kim. Nagasu seemed faster last season but she is still up there.
    I think the person who started the thread was asking about their speed. She didn't say they were fast. Ando is one of my favorite skater but she is NOT fast. I thought Mirai was fast when she won the Jr national but I don't know if she is still fast. She seemed to be skating much slower now than then. How about Lu Chen? Did anyone think she was fast? I always thought she was fast.

vCash
    Ando is one of my favorite skater but she is NOT fast.
    Miki usually doesn't skate very fast during competitions, but I think she skates with great speed during her exhibition programs.

vCash
    I can't believe 4 pages of this and no one touched upon the MOST IMPORTANT part of the speed issue.

Who'd come first in a speed skating competition in a 10,000m speed race around the speed track?

By the look of things, the contenders are Kostner, Kim, Nagasu, Asada, Ando, Murakami, Flatt.

After thinking about this long, deep and hard, I have come to the following conclusion. I surprised myself.

Here's what I think is going to happen.

Kostner lead the first cycle, but she was having so much fun leading and gloating like a typical Italian, she typically forgot where to look and ends up crash into the board by the 2nd cycle. And typically being Kostner, once she falls, she keeps on falling.

Kim lead next, but there's just too many annoying Japanese skaters impeding her left and right, infront and behind. Everyone was annoying and buzzing, except Mao who's is looking lovely and unfazed just going about her business. To their credit, the Japanese skaters does not seem deliberate, but it appears like some freak of nature, life's destiny type of mystique polarity forces pulling them together like the moon and the stars attracting to the sun. As much as they try to get rid of each other, it is simply not possible.

Finally, Yuna had enough and just slowed down and shrugged, thinking 'This is so stupid and has no artistic merit what so ever!!' while scratching her head wondering why the Japanese skaters are still buzzing about around her in secret signals, winks and call signs. Mao amazingly is still looking lovely, and have that 'dazed and confused look' wondering why is everyone slowing down and then giggled adorably.

Yuna continued the rest of her race in an exhibition meet and greet fashion, waving to the audience consist of *huge korean crowd just for her* and takes pictures and sign autographs with the crowds like a champion she is.

Then it was Nagasu's turn, she is doing okay. She is excited and supercharged, but after leading for about 5 cycles, her enthusiasm soon waned, she appeared to be bored. Not much of a challenge perhaps, or something or someone in the crowd is clearly bothering her. She keep on taking second look every time she bypass them around the corner.

Upon the 10th cycle, she finally gives in, slowed down and confront her nemesis. NBC commentators was surprised and really annoyed!!! Mirai was Soooo close to getting her 2nd medal for the US! Frank is going nuts at the KnC and have 'that' pissed off look with fists in the air. The NBC Camera finally spot the something in the crowd and zoomed in. Collective *gasp from the crowd*, it was an ice Cream Man selling her an ice cream.

Tsk tsk tsk... looks like the little girl still hasn't grown up, and ice cream temptations still comes first.

Then it was Rachel Flatt, she was amazing, stunning in her bright florescent costumes, patient, focussed, unwavering, determined and YES: CONSISTENT. Her skating to the invisible lines around the track was book perfect.

Her blazing neon costume and her new aerodynamic haircut swept against the wind off her lovely chrub face as if she was la Winslet at the Titanic with the King of the world!! Except she was slowly but surely - steadily and powerfully 'body slammed' all these useless skinny girls out of her way like a giant 50kg Neon bowl in an bowling alley towards US's first gold medal in years!!

Pressure, pfftt.... what pressure, she thrives on pressure!! Mwahahah she will show them, USA USA USA!!!

Yes yes.. she is nearly there, nearly.. soon... she will be there. No one is around to challenge her, last woman standing. Nearly nearly.. Yes she almost there, finally. She finished finally!! YES YES YES!!! So at the 20th minute, she won the gold medal for the US. So deserved, she skipped a year in Stanford for this you know.

Sadly by the medal ceremony, most of the crowds have left already, thinking, 'this is so stupid, I should have watched it on YouTube and could have fast forward about 10 minutes!'
    Last edited by os168; 03-04-2011 at 03:21 AM.

vCash
    Ando is one of my favorite skater but she is NOT fast.
    I think it depends on the programs she's given. When Miki skated her Schez SP in 2007 she was flying down the SLF. Her current programs use slow music, and the choreography slows down to match that.

I hate it when skaters like Alyssa use slow music and do slow SLF in their SP. They should not get any + GOE for that.

vCash
    I have the feeling that Kostner is less fast this season. Anyway, she still has great speed.

For having seen her live many times, I can say that YuNa Kim is impressive. You can compare her speed with other's, and she is definitely faster than any other skater I've seen live with her !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Extranjera View Post
    Im curious about speed of ladies skaters because Ive heard so many opinions that Im a bit confused. Can you guys (at least those of you who watched some competitions live ) tell me more about them? I mean mostly speed of: Kim, Asada, Kostner, Ando, Leonova, Cohen and Biryukova, but also other skaters. I will be reeeeeally grateful if you share with me your impressions
    Last edited by Jenny81; 03-03-2011 at 08:44 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny81 View Post
    As Ks777 said, the original poster was asking for people's opinion about their speed, not making a statement that these skaters are fast. At least, that's how I interpret it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    I can't believe 4 pages of this and no one touched up on the MOST IMPORTANT part of the speed issue.

Who'd come first in a speed skating competition in a 10,000m speed race around the speed track?

By the look of things, the contenders are Kostner, Kim, Negasu, Asada, Ando, Murakami, Flatt.

After thinking about this long, deep and hard, I have come to the following conclusion. I surprised myself.

Here's what I think is going to happen.

Kostner lead the first cycle, but she was having so much fun leading and gloating like a typical Italian, she typically forgot where to look and ends up crash into the board by the 2nd cycle. And typically being Kostner, once she falls, she keeps on falling.

Kim lead next, but there's just too many annoying Japanese skaters impeding her left and right, infront and behind. Everyone was annoying and buzzing, except Mao who's is looking lovely and unfazed just going about her business. To their credit, the Japanese skaters does not seem deliberate, but it appears like some freak of nature, life's destiny type of mystique polarity forces pulling them together like the moon and the stars attracting to the sun. As much as they try to get rid of each other, it is simply not possible.

Finally, Yuna just slowed down and shrugged, thinking 'This is so stupid and has no artistic merit at all!!' while scratching her head wondering why the Japanese skaters are still buzzing about around her in secret signals, winks and call signs. Mao amazingly is still looking lovely, and have that 'dazed and confused look' wondering why is everyone slowing down and then giggled.

Yuna continued the rest of her race in an exhibition meet and greet fashion, waving to the audience consist of *huge korean crowd just for her* and takes pictures and sign autographs with the crowds like a champion she is.

Then it was Negasu's turn, she is doing okay. She is excited and supercharged, but after leading for about 5 cycles, her enthusiasm soon waned, she appeared to be bored. Not much of a challenge perhaps, or something or someone in the crowd is clearly bothering her. She keep on taking second look every time she bypass them around the corner.

Upon the 10th cycle, she finally gives in, slowed down and confront her nemesis. NBC commentators was surprised and really annoyed!!! Mirai was Soooo close to getting her 2nd medal for the US! Frank is going nuts at the KnC and have 'that' pissed off look with fists in the air. The NBC Camera finally spot the something in the crowd and zoomed in. Collective *gasp from the crowd*, it was an ice Cream Man selling her ice cream.

Tsk tsk tsk... looks like the little girl still hasn't grown up, and ice cream temptations still comes first.

Then it was Rachel Flatt, she was amazing, stunning in her bright florescent costumes, patient, focussed, unwavering, determined and YES: CONSISTENT. Her skating to the invisible lines around the track was book perfect.

Her blazing neon costume and her new aerodynamic haircut swept against the wind off her lovely chrub face as if she was la Winslet at the Titanic with the King of the world!! Except she was slowly but surely - steadily and powerfully 'body slammed' all these useless skinny girls out of her way like a giant 50kg Neon bowl in an bowling alley towards US's first gold medal in years!!

Pressure, pfftt.... what pressure, she thrives on pressure!! Mwahahah she will show them, USA USA USA!!!

Yes yes.. she is nearly there, nearly.. soon... she will be there. No one is around to challenge her, last woman standing. Nearly nearly.. Yes she almost there, finally. She finished finally!! YES YES YES!!! So at the 20th minute, she won the gold medal for the US. So deserved, she skipped a year in Stanford for this you know.

Sadly by the medal ceremony, most of the crowd seemed to have left thinking, 'this is so stupid, I should have watched it on YouTube and could have fast forward about 10 minutes!'

That was gr8t!! The only thing I'd change is "Negasu's" name. You have to make a 2nd part of your story telling about coach Morozov or Orser in the stands... some drama might be necessary too

vCash
    Last edited by Jenny81; 03-03-2011 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Double post!! Sorry.

vCash
    I think the person who started the thread was asking about their speed. She didn't say they were fast.

Well..you got a point there.
    However, some of users (including me) are a little confused what she meant exactly.
    Check out the others comments regarding this.
    Maybe they're the same as me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvster View Post
    i have watched suguri live many times and i have to say, I'm always impressed by her effortless glide across the ice!!!

looks like i'm one of the few who will miss suguri's skating ..

I'm one of the few, too..... I miss her skating when she was in her prime, not what we see now.
    ...and yes, she was fast.

Eveyone has their own preferences, but IMO just "speed" (i.e. the mathematical ratio of distance divided by time) is nice but overrated.
    That effortless gliding, precision edges, floating across the ice matters a lot more.
    Last edited by geod2; 03-03-2011 at 10:04 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySlore View Post
    Laetitia Hubert skated scary fast
    I wonder how many of her many, many mistakes were induced by that crazy speed.

you beat me on this one

Quote Originally Posted by SmallFairy View Post
    Joanne Carter!!
    you have a point here !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    I have an impending sense of doom about this thread.
    5, 4, 3, 2...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geod2 View Post
    I'm one of the few, too..... I miss her skating when she was in her prime, not what we see now.
    ...and yes, she was fast.

Eveyone has their own preferences, but IMO just "speed" (i.e. the mathematical ratio of distance divided by time) is nice but overrated.
    That effortless gliding, precision edges, floating across the ice matters a lot more.
    Me three. I'm not sure what a few of the above posters are talking about re: pumping. Her speed seemed pretty effortless. That seems to be a trademark of Sato's skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geod2 View Post
    I believe this thread is not about the raw speed.
    Every element is done at a certain pace or speed; i.e., speed gives the fundamental dimension in which everything is performed. It’s not an independent concept.

On the performance side, skating with good speed gives the skater a wider range or freedom in changing the pace of the movement with different phases of the music and the various emotions associated with them. And having good speeds at right moments adds to the magnificence or the “wow factor” of the program.

On the technical side, speed is one of the basic indicators of the skater’s level of proficiency and dexterity, as executing various elements with decent speed requires corresponding skills in coordinating the senses and the body movements, along with good amount of “guts” or conquest of fear. Imagine one tries parallel parking a car at 10 mph vs. at 5 mph. Not the same thing at all.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast